Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ti bike wanted

I really fancy a Ti bike for a number of reasons.

1) Most of it will be commuting
2) Some of it will be in parks.gravel
3) Lifetime warranty
4) Understated looks
5) Comfort on crappy roads

I also want disc brakes as I prefer them.

As I said a lot of my riding is a 9 mile EW commute into Central London, over potholes and generally rubbish roads. I'm not too worry about which disc brakes, nor by which groupset (SRAM or Shimano are both fine).

The closest things I can see for around £1,500 are the On-One Pickenflick and the Planet X Ti Pro SRAM.

Problem is one doesn't have discs, the other has cross gears and there appears to be no way of accommodating a bigger ring.

I like the looks of the Eclipse bikes too, but they are just a bit much.

Any suggestions please?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Gasman Jim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Lynskey Sportive Disc has discs, eyelets (and clearance) for guards and also eyelets for a rack. With the right fork you could also have a front rack too.

I've got one and no it wasn't more than a mortgage.

It's a great bike for year round riding here in North Wales.

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Jumping onto this thread, I think I'd quite like a Ti drop bar tourer. Does such a thing exist? Would it cost more than my mortgage?

Jack Osbourne snr replied to bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes
bashthebox wrote:

Jumping onto this thread, I think I'd quite like a Ti drop bar tourer. Does such a thing exist? Would it cost more than my mortgage?

Have a look at SPA Cycles website http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s0p0

They have their own brand of of Ti and Steel frame tourers and audax bikes which get very good write-ups. I was down in Harrogate at Christmas and dropped in to the shop/warehouse - the own brand frames look VERY good and come in a range of finishes

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

The Pickenflick can fit a 48t chainset so think I will go for that.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys. I have a Boardman Hybrid Pro which I use for commuting, but given that's my main usage I would like something else that I can use on that and for the odd ride out with friends. With drops.

Jack Osbourne snr replied to Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

Thanks guys. I have a Boardman Hybrid Pro which I use for commuting, but given that's my main usage I would like something else that I can use on that and for the odd ride out with friends. With drops.

Ah okay... I'm about to add a disc CX bike to my stable to run the commute in place of my Boardman Hybrid, but it won't be titanium.

They're all good suggestions above, and I can see the attraction of the Pickenflix for one - I had looked at that myself, but given I have a Ti Audax bike, it would just be too similar.

My concern for both you and I is that the change to drop bars on the commute will be in the negative direction... Hence my original suggestion and why I'm not binning my hybrid yet (although I've not been able to give it a proper check since crashing and it might be heading for the skip anyway lol)

Jack Osbourne snr | 9 years ago
0 likes

Personally, I think you'd better getting a half decent disc hybrid for the commute and then saving up for a "proper" Ti bike.

Alternatively, I could sell you my Zerofour, but it's got Campag Record on it, so that doesn't meet your criteria.

racingcondor | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not sure if your budget is 1,500 but if it is then I think you'll stuggle (not much Ti at that price).

There are Ti Cross bikes out there but can't imagine there are many disc equipped Ti road bikes outside the cross market yet.

Check out:
Litespeed CX-Cyclocross
Moots Psychlo X RSL
Seven Mudhoney S
Lynskey Cooper CX

All great Ti brands and some at least are definitely disc frames.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

That was the feature that got me thinking. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet!

sponican | 9 years ago
0 likes

Latest Comments