Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

País Vasco Purist Competition

My second mini target of the season after Tirreno where I finished 15th. After that comes the Giro as my main objective this year. Then Tour, Vuelta and Lombardia as other important races.  16

Anyway, last year I got a 5th place in the purist competition here and I really like this race because of the hard stages and the rain.  105

Let's gear up for this important event my fellow purist players!  36

Date: 04/07 - 04/12
Official website: http://vueltapaisvasco.diariovasco.com/index.php
Parcours: http://vueltapaisvasco.diariovasco.com/2014/etapas/etapa1-ordizia-ordizi...
Startlist: http://vueltapaisvasco.diariovasco.com/equipos-ciclistas-vuelta-pais-vas...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

44 comments

VVV73 | 10 years ago
0 likes

R.E. raysilvester No YTH pts
If that's the case that's bullocks, I allowed for youth riders even going thru overall listing for highest juniors, AS IT WAS ADVERTISED IN THE SCORING..First time I have hear that its only if the actual official Race has yth jersey. Hmmmmm

arsene | 10 years ago
0 likes

Fianl GC: 1. Contador, 2. Kwiatkowski, 3. Péraud, 4. Spilak, 5. Valverde
4/5  41

Final result: 6th  41

I think I can be satisfied after my riders finally turned up for the last 3 stages.
I stay consistent in País Vasco - last year 5th, this year 6th.

Now a rest and then my main objective of the season is coming - the Giro d'Italia!!  103

Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes

4 transfers done for tmw. A calculated risk on taking Valverde out to fund some TTers

arsene | 10 years ago
0 likes

Went all in, 3 riders in the break today, 158 points - moved up to 3rd!!!  36

arsene | 10 years ago
0 likes

Five strongest riders today:
Poels, Contador, Valverde, Péraud, Spilak
4/5  36

Unfortunately the last climb wasn't hard enough, so the strength of my GC guys isn't so obvious in the results.  7

Still, I moved up to 17th!

I need a rider in the break tomorrow - Wellens or Fraile.  45  14

arsene | 10 years ago
0 likes

Forgot to post my team (purists):

Valverde
Contador
Spilak
Péraud
Swift
Fraile
Kennaugh
Wellens
Koldo

It hasn't been brilliant so far, but I'm still in contention for a good result heading into the three decisive stages in 34th position, constantly climbing up the table.  16

Having missed the deadline wasn't such a bad thing in hindsight as Polanc only sprinted to 13th today and now Wellens has his chances for a breakaway.  21
So does Fraile who already scored a couple intermediate sprint points today.

From my GC guys, Kennaugh wasn't so well going into this race.  17 I thought he could surprise but it's ok.
It's not the first time for Spilak to have a bad opening stage, but he hasn't lost much time and should be much stronger in the coming stages.  36

It's kind of frustrating not to have either Landa or Villella though. They were a part of my team until the evening before the race.  102

However I'm still close to the top and it's everything to play for. I'm confident I can score a top 10.  1

Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi guys,

Whilst I brought the subject up originally, it was merely to remove points from those who gained. When it was explained that this wasn't possible I backed off. Since the original date the only thing I have posted is to give the guys who run it a break.

Joel

northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

the deadlines again so we can go to having a deadline only one hour before the start?

The deadlines aren't a problem except when the clock goes back (as far as i can see) - that was my only "problem" with it.

I didn't mean change every race of the season.

simon F | 10 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

If it goes to 1 hour before the start

FWIW, deadline and neutralized start time used to pretty much coincide - didn't have a problem with that.

simon F | 10 years ago
0 likes

There are a few points I would make to this but I'm loath to re-open old wounds. I would just like to quote Dave one last time - the late risers bit I find particularly relevant to me

Quote:

3) We'll continue to keep the deadlines close to the stage starts because it gives people the maximum amount of time to make transfers, which is especially helpful for late weekend risers and those not playing in the UK.

TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I do agree with you Simon, but as someone who does scoring, rosters etc, making the deadlines earlier is worth it, if we are gonna get the backlash that occurred last weekend, as it seems any minor mistake made gets pounced upon, so we are covering our own backs and maybe a few have spoiled it for the many.

ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes

Pretty sure there's no Youth Jersey and hence no Youth points in this race?

ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes

Valverde
LuLu
Contador
Panzerwagon
Spilak
Gorka Izz
Roy
Cunego
Kessiakoff

are my purist

Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes

One thing is that some posts on the forum are going out of sequence.

drheaton replied to Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

One thing is that some posts on the forum are going out of sequence.

That's been happening a while, not entirely sure why, think I raised it a while back but I doubt it'll be an easy fix.

arsene | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm just shocked because my team would've been perfect with this one change, sorry.

drheaton replied to arsene | 10 years ago
0 likes
arsene wrote:

I'm just shocked because my team would've been perfect with this one change, sorry.

No need to apologise, and sorry if I came across a little harsh.

I think the intention is that deadlines will be earlier going forwards and that players will have to try and get used to it. For my races at least I think I'll try and keep one deadline time for all stages for consistency unless one stage (a TTT or ITT for example) start particularly late or a long mountain day starts particularly early.

There's a balance to be found between precaution (trying to avoid any chance of a race starting before the transfer window closes) and giving players as much time as possible to pick their team. Over time we'll find that balance but I think we were pushing to keep deadlines as close to start times as possible and got bitten in the arse over Gent-Wevelgem so needed to change something.

enrique replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
simon F wrote:

I have to say, I'm not a fan of these early deadlines... Having a 2 hour gap between race start and deadline time, just to avoid an (at most) twice a year confusion seems excessive...

Dave Atkinson wrote:

We'll continue to keep the deadlines close to the stage starts because it gives people the maximum amount of time to make transfers, which is especially helpful for late weekend risers and those not playing in the UK.

I agree. Joel, why don't you and Northstar agree with simon F, agree not to raise a ruckus over the deadlines again so we can go to having a deadline only one hour before the start? If it goes to 1 hour before the start, well, with any change of the clock, (hopefully) no break will establish itself right at the start, so I think it's reasonable to have the deadline at 1 hour before the start. I don't think Joel and northie will mind (hopefully)... And I think for the most part, if a race start changes, it's more likely to be a delay rather than starting earlier... I think that is reasonable... And while we're at it, why don't we honor a gentleman's agreement not to place known breakaway riders if this ever happens again? I think that's reasonable, too  39

drheaton wrote:

For my races... I think I'll try and keep one deadline time for all stages for consistency...

Ok, so you get to set the deadlines for your races... Does TER set his then?... What about Gkam, is he still not able to set deadlines?... What about me? Can I set deadlines, too?...

simon F wrote:

The penalty transfer I incurred gave me a 7 pt net benefit and saved the overall FS win. This wouldn't be possible in this race and seems an unfair penalising of those who choose to spend more time on the game (usually for naff-all gain on my part).

We could also get a 'transfer reset' button!  4

http://road.cc/content/forum/73543-game-suggestions

drheaton wrote:

...sorry if I came across a little harsh.

Damn. Finally. I cringed. This happens quite a lot.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Deadlines were moved further from stage start times to try and avoid any potential overlap and another incident similar to what happened during Gent-Wevelgem.

I know it's shit but sadly it's a step that needed to be put into place to try and avoid any possibility of it happening again.

The deadline for every stage this week is 10am GMT so at least they are consistent and those above are right, you can submit a team and change it right up to the deadline.

simon F replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Deadlines were moved further from stage start times to try and avoid any potential overlap and another incident similar to what happened during Gent-Wevelgem.

I know it's shit but sadly it's a step that needed to be put into place to try and avoid any possibility of it happening again.

The deadline for every stage this week is 10am GMT so at least they are consistent and those above are right, you can submit a team and change it right up to the deadline.

The deadlines are actually 9am GMT, 10am BST.

I have to say, I'm not a fan of these early deadlines. I'm aware of the GW hassle, but that was caused by confusion over which way the clocks went, and whose clocks changed when. Having a 2 hour gap between race start and deadline time, just to avoid an (at most) twice a year confusion seems excessive.
In Catalunya, I spotted a late tweet that one of my riders would be a DNS. The penalty transfer I incurred gave me a 7 pt net benefit and saved the overall FS win. This wouldn't be possible in this race and seems an unfair penalising of those who choose to spend more time on the game (usually for naff-all gain on my part).
The FoxClocks addon for Firefox is your friend in this - showing GMT, your local time and the race local time. Surely, 15 mins or so before the official neutralised start time is a sufficient gap.

arsene | 10 years ago
0 likes

I was making my head up over and over again.  2

arsene | 10 years ago
0 likes

That's cool then.  41

Why do these fucking deadlines have to be so early though?  102

Stumps replied to arsene | 10 years ago
0 likes
arsene wrote:

That's cool then.  41

The stage has been open to pick teams for a while now, no need to leave it till the last minute  1

Joelsim replied to arsene | 10 years ago
0 likes
arsene wrote:

That's cool then.  41

It's so you can't pick riders in a break after the start!  13

arsene replied to Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Start time is 1.15 CET.  7

arsene | 10 years ago
0 likes

Fuck!!! I missed out on the deadline. Wanted to make one last change - Polanc for Wellens.  40  20

stevemarks | 10 years ago
0 likes

Going to be suffering tomorrow as I know most of those roads for stage two pretty well, and wont be riding them again until late July. Wish I had arranged a holiday now!

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Despite saying I would put effort into this comp I realised at 9am this morning I hadn't picked either team and hadn't done any prep (the weekend got away form me a little bit).

Anyway, two teams thrown together with no real thought put into them, let's see how this goes.

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

Made some changes to my standard but kept purist the same. Was my best competition last year - 9th in purist and 17th standard. I think it was a combination of Gerrans/Impey early on, Quintana/Henao, and Betancur's breakthrough on stage 3 that did it. That slow-motion sprint between Betancur and Henao was one of my favourite moments of last season, I don't think they do that climb this year though...

Dux89 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Lots of Paris-Nice guys could feature here... Too bad they're all expensive after Paris-Nice.

Pages

Latest Comments