Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Picking riders in the break after the race had started sue to clocks going forwards

Discuss. I for one, think that is taking the piss.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

73 comments

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

It cannot be done, not can individual penalties

Gkam84 replied to simon F | 10 years ago
0 likes
simon F wrote:

Meanwhile, and more importantly, when are we going to get the Volta Catalunya final scores - I really want to know how far I fell in the FS league.

I think TER is on the scores for this, I can go do them now though.

Actually, I think someone is already on them

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Wig_Billy hasn't "made a killing" he's gained about 20 points.

Also, what are you saying about Wig and Gilbert? Call me Maybe?

Not of that makes sense

enrique replied to Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

This has implications on today's races, and for the rest of the season too.

Joelsim wrote:

Wig_Billy has made a killing.

You think he did it, too? Where are you looking? Is the only reason you first noticed was that G put his team up on the forum?

northstar replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

It cannot be done, not can individual penalties

Maybe it can't, either way, something has to be done.

Joelsim replied to enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
Joelsim wrote:

This has implications on today's races, and for the rest of the season too.

Joelsim wrote:

Wig_Billy has made a killing.

You think he did it, too? Where are you looking? Is the only reason you first noticed was that G put his team up on the forum?

Just click on his name and see that he added 2 of the breakaway riders after the race had started.

Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Veelers Wheel
Queens Park Riders
Call me maybe?

That's just a cursory look at the top few on this stage.

enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

Just click on his name and see that he added 2 of the breakaway riders after the race had started.

That's pretty cool. Well, Wig Billy has always seemed like a decent person here on the forum. I'm sure he didn't mean to cheat per se. He just noticed a loophole and used it to his advantage. If he did do it deliberately, well, of course, that's not right. But, at any rate, let him give his version of the events.

I just don't know if Dave and company should become detectives and pursue this like it was a major crime. I think it's bad enough to be 'outed' here. I'm pretty sure they won't doing that (!) again (!). Not after this (!) Look at how rabidly G defends himself. It wasn't right, but, what to do now? I agree with Twy:

Twybaydos wrote:

... chalk it up to experience... and... ensure it doesn't happen again next year

And I wonder if they come down hard on these people, well, crap, doesn't it take away from the 'camraderie' here?  7

They're 'outed' already. Now what? I guess let them address the issue and wait to see what Dave thinks...

Wig_Billy | 10 years ago
0 likes

My position.

This is a competitive game and I try to do as well as possible in it. I always compare the deadline times with the race start times because I know from experience that mistakes happen. I do this to give myself an advantage and I'm unapologetic about that. There is no rule that all transfers have to be made before a race starts, so to call it cheating is ridiculous.

When I started playing this game it was just for fun, but these days I play to win. Unfortunately it seems this attitude is incompatible with the forum, so I think it's probably time to say goodbye.

I enjoyed my time here. Farewell road.cc forum.  103

backflipbedlem replied to Wig_Billy | 10 years ago
0 likes
Wig_Billy wrote:

My position.

This is a competitive game and I try to do as well as possible in it. I always compare the deadline times with the race start times because I know from experience that mistakes happen. I do this to give myself an advantage and I'm unapologetic about that. There is no rule that all transfers have to be made before a race starts, so to call it cheating is ridiculous.

When I started playing this game it was just for fun, but these days I play to win. Unfortunately it seems this attitude is incompatible with the forum, so I think it's probably time to say goodbye.

Don't go Wig_Billy you're my inspiration! I want to win too!!!
But still have fun at the same time!!

I think in the morning everyone will have calmed down and we can all have a weeks break ready to come back and fight it out again over the Women!!

johnny2names | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm with Simon F on this one. Jeez, it's only a game, no one died. I do remember it happening last year at some stage, and I remember hesitating, and deciding no, I want to be scored on my position pre race. However, it isn't cheating. You can argue about the spirit/letter of the rules, but it ain't cheating. Still, gkam was clearly trying to stir the pot today  1 certainly got the forum going. It also tells you that getting the break away guys in one day races without sprint/mountain points is not where the big money is.

Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's the same as doping. Competition to win, bending the rules. As I've said on BR many times I have no doubt that I would dope too under the circumstances.

Wig_Billy this isn't against you or anyone else who took advantage, that is only human nature, but the UCI shouldn't just turn a blind eye. Yours just happened to be the first name on the rankings.

Next year I will do the same as you, now I know that it is allowed.

Gkam84 replied to Wig_Billy | 10 years ago
0 likes
Wig_Billy wrote:

My position.

I have pretty much come to the same conclusion. I'm sick of bitching and moaning about this, that and the other.

I don't get paid to run the game (nor have I ever asking to be paid), I do it because I used to enjoy it and thought I was helping for the greater good of others. Lately it is just taking up time that I could be doing better things with and its the same people day in day out moaning about something.

I now have a business to run, so my time is money. I can ill afford to be sat on here doing rosters, sorting stages, points, finding startlists. Checking them every day before a race to make sure they are as correct as I can make them.

Emailing, tweeting and phoning race organisers to see if I can get information about races....etc

northstar replied to johnny2names | 10 years ago
0 likes
johnny2names wrote:

I'm with Simon F on this one. Jeez, it's only a game, no one died. I do remember it happening last year at some stage, and I remember hesitating, and deciding no, I want to be scored on my position pre race. However, it isn't cheating. You can argue about the spirit/letter of the rules, but it ain't cheating. Still, gkam was clearly trying to stir the pot today  1 certainly got the forum going. It also tells you that getting the break away guys in one day races without sprint/mountain points is not where the big money is.

It isn't cheating? Lol, really...

enrique replied to Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

It's the same as doping... Next year I will do the same as you, now I know that it is allowed.

Oh, c'mon! It's only a game! Don't be a dick! Tell Wig Billy you don't want him to leave! Don't be such an ass! The man's an inspiration to us all! And, c'mon, be your own man, if you're going to play by the rules, play by the rules. If you believe in the spirit of fair competition, play in that spirit, but don't become a rag in the wind! You haven't been harmed in any big way. What's done is done, let's just hug it out like one big family!  1 Here, have a hug!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxQy7xiZXv0

It's just a game. Apologize to the man for making such a big stink and let bygones be bygones!

Come on back, Wiggy. Don't leave. We need you here, we love you here.  1 You're great fun and extremely irritating to be beaten by, in a good way!  1

Joelsim wrote:

... As I've said on BR...

What's BR?...

Gkam84 wrote:

I can ill afford to be sat on here doing rosters, sorting stages, points, finding startlists... [c]hecking them every day, [e]mailing, tweeting and phoning...

Putting riders on a breakaway on my team after the stage has started.... Yeah, that's hard work!  1

Gkam84 wrote:

I have pretty much come to the same conclusion...

You can leave. But could you fix the rider names on your way out?  1

Don't cry now. I'm just kidding!  1

enrique replied to northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes
northstar wrote:

Yeah, but is it worth alienating each other over this? I don't want people to leave the game 'cause they're extra competitive, found a loophole and took full advantage of it. It wasn't right, but let's let it go. The game is a challenge and Wig Billy is a pretty cool cat.

Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't want him to leave. That is what I was saying. Nor Gkam.

Anyway bed now, as said above let's just all forget about it and get back to enjoying seeing your riders winning.

northstar replied to enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
northstar wrote:

Yeah, but is it worth alienating each other over this? I don't want people to leave the game 'cause they're extra competitive, found a loophole and took full advantage of it. It wasn't right, but let's let it go. The game is a challenge and Wig Billy is a pretty cool cat.

It's not a loophole and any points gained this way should be removed.

enrique replied to northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes
northstar wrote:

It's not a loophole and any points gained this way should be removed.

Sure, but let's make sure the community stays together. I don't want Wiggy to leave, not this way, at least.  39 Hmmm... does he mean he's leaving the forum or the game?...  39

enrique replied to enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:

Don't cry now. I'm just kidding!  1

I hope I didn't hurt your feelings now  4 I'd hate myself if you left... Unless you came back!  1 Then I'd be overjoyed!  4

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

What a load of rubbish is being written on this topic. The advantage gained from this, deliberate or not, when taken over a 12 month competition is so small i cant believe people are getting so worked up about it.

I for one want all the scores to stand as the transfers made were made when the window was open so its not cheating as it was open to everyone.

Wig Billy, Gkam have expressed a view which has no doubt been simmering with quite a few people for a while over the amount of critisicm that gets bandied about on the forum over quite petty and insignificant things, some people are acting like spoilt brats, get over it.

enrique replied to Wig_Billy | 10 years ago
0 likes
Wig_Billy wrote:

When I started playing this game it was just for fun, but these days I play to win.

Stay. There's a lot of people here that admire your play and competitive spirit.

Wig_Billy wrote:

There is no rule that all transfers have to be made before a race starts, so to call it cheating is ridiculous.

You're right. But leaving over this is ridiculous, too. No one's asking you to leave.

Wig_Billy wrote:

I do this to give myself an advantage and I'm unapologetic about that... it seems this attitude is incompatible with the forum...

No it isn't. Many of us think this is peanuts... Stay!  1

drheaton replied to Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

What a load of rubbish is being written on this topic. The advantage gained from this, deliberate or not, when taken over a 12 month competition is so small i cant believe people are getting so worked up about it.

I for one want all the scores to stand as the transfers made were made when the window was open so its not cheating as it was open to everyone.

Wig Billy, Gkam have expressed a view which has no doubt been simmering with quite a few people for a while over the amount of critisicm that gets bandied about on the forum over quite petty and insignificant things, some people are acting like spoilt brats, get over it.

I'm with Wig and Gkam on this, its an advantage that was gained through spotting a mistake by those running the game, it was an advantage that was gained because they paid attention more than others, that's it.

Is it cheating? No. Is it in the spirit of the game? Probably not. The problem is that the spirit of the game isn't binding and if people want to take advantage of situations like this there is no way of stopping them.

As I've said before there is no feasible way of reverting transfers without harming people who genuinely made changes after the race started without seeking to gain advantage and I don't think that it is worth harming those people in order to punish a minority of others who made changes deliberately with the intention of picking riders in the break.

I'm also with Wig and Gkam on the forum. There have been instances lately where I have also almost walked away from the forum. Where possible I try to be reasonable with people but sometimes that doesn't work, I enjoy being on the forum most of the time but the number of instances where I think "sod this" are increasing.

STEVESPRO 79 replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Is it cheating? No. Is it in the spirit of the game? Probably not. The problem is that the spirit of the game isn't binding and if people want to take advantage of situations like this there is no way of stopping them.

You say there is no way of stopping them drheaton, well I am sorry but that is utter nonsense.....The way to stop them is not to have the loophole there....
Mistakes are always made in life and yet I would expect a paid for game not to repeat the same mistakes....
As I have said in another thread, the same thing happened last year and to say its not important is irrelevant....

Whether or not people take advantage of such loopholes is up to them, I personally think its sad if they do, but the fact is that once a mistake is made it should not happen again.... And it has....

The whole scenario puts the integrity of the game in doubt..... And I am sick of hearing that people give up there free time to run it.... Again, I personally think that should not be the case. I would gladly pay double the entrance fee to enable roadcc to pay someone to impartially run the game and so get rid of this cloud of suspicion for good....

northstar replied to Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

LOL.

northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

I'm with Wig and Gkam on this, its an advantage that was gained through spotting a mistake by those running the game.

No it wasn't.

Quote:

Is it cheating? No

Wrong.

Quote:

As I've said before there is no feasible way of reverting transfers without harming people who genuinely made changes after the race started

LOL.

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

Wow. I can't believe some people are getting worked up about this. Lots of people noticed that an error had been made. Some chose to take advantage for the potential gain of a handful of points, others chose not to. I'm annoyed that the mistake was made, and that there was no response/apology from anyone involved, but I don't blame any players for taking advantage of it.

Tom Amos | 10 years ago
0 likes

IIRC, on RCUK's fantasy cycling comp for the Tour De France, the deadline was midnight before the race. Not suggesting the deadline should be so early/drastic but it would solve this problem. What about making it 9am for all European races?

pcsplace | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just woke up to read this thread today and oh my god let's just move on, we should be thankful for the great work the game admins have put in to make this game great and the work they do every day on races & rosters. I am a premium member but tbh it's a tenner for 12 months worth of fun and in my view I get more fun out of this than a console game for £50 that I may play for a month and get bored with. This game makes watching races all that much more enjoyable too; especially the lesser known ones.

I for one wish to thank the organisers and admins for their great work and I know I have at least 4 clocks in my house that I haven't put forward yet so thanks for the reminder  1

northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes

Let's not, it seems to be obvious what is going on here.

Pages

Latest Comments