Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Speedplay Pedals?

Hi all,

I've been considering changing to Speedplay Zero pedals recently but don't really know anyone who uses them to get any feedback off. I commute daily (30miles) and ride lots of sportives.

If anyone could give me any feedback/thoughts on them that would be great.

Thanks
Craig

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

bendertherobot | 9 years ago
0 likes

I didn't like them. Gave them 200 miles or so. Just didn't gel really. They were merely ok on the bike but walking in those cleats was a nightmare.

But, if they work for you they will be great. The reason for this post was in relation to the expensive mistake. If you shop around, get a good deal you should lose very little on reselling them on ebay.

trevisotart replied to bendertherobot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Must admit been using speedplays for a couple of years , and love em  41 Being able to clip in both sides is a big plus , they look nice - always a good thing , great range of colours - whats not to like !

Fringe | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think this is a really good review do the pros/cons of speedplay pedals...

http://road.cc/content/review/59807-speedplay-zero-stainless-steel-pedals

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

That 'rocking' is something you should only see once the cleats need replacing - i.e. after a good couple of thousand miles or more.

@Craig749 - what's the reason you're looking to change? I ask because while it's nice to buy upgrades, the shoe/pedal interface is both subjective and crucial - if you're happy with your ability to pedal hard, clip in/out, no pain, shoes fit etc etc, I'd look elsewhere if I just had a bit of money to spend.

If, however, you're looking to sort out your knee pain or something, then Speedplays are very good ASSUMING that the pain is caused by the pedal itself. It could just as easily be caused by incorrect arch or varus/valgus support. Read this for more info:

http://www.njdsportsinjuries.co.uk/musculoskeletal-screening_39_11372454...

craig749 replied to notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

@notfastenough, I'm only looking to change as I've been riding Shimano spd-sl for years and I just don't get on with them, plus they can be a pain to clip into at times which is why I like the sound of the dual sided Speedplays. I also considered Look pedals but every review I've read seems to point to Speedplay between the two.

adamq | 9 years ago
0 likes

Speedplays are good pedals but as the cleats and pedal interface wear, they start to "rock" and lose stability. I ended up with sore knees because of this.

clumsytim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Good for commuting as all the stop/start at junctions is better with double sided pedals(single speed), weekend is longer rides 70miles+ in summer ( defo not single speed) and never any knee grief.. Never had problems with the cleats wearing as I don't walk at all in them just the necessary foot down. BUT as said above they do need greasing every so often.

You won't regret it...

alexjones5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

if you have any sort of knee issues (like me) these are the business. Cleats take a little more setting up than other systems but once you've sorted that you'll be flying

Yorkshie Whippet | 9 years ago
0 likes
Potiriadis | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have been commuting and doing sportives on these pedals for two years. I commute 40ish miles a day. They are brilliant for me as they mix the best bits of a road pedal with the best bits of an MTB pedal. Because they are double sided you never need to look down to see which way up they are. Word of warning is that you must get a set of "KeeponKovers"

http://www.keeponkovers.com/Product.html

which are cleat covers that you car wear and still clip in with. Otherwise you will wear through the metal plate on the bottom of the cleat in less than a month and probably slip over trying to walk on the cleat as well.

Also bear in mind that the bearings are pretty much unsealed so if you don't use the grease port regularly to flush them out you will turn your bearings to dust in six months of heavy winter commuting.

craig749 replied to Potiriadis | 9 years ago
0 likes

@potiriadis thanks for the feedback. It's good to know that you commute in them and find them ok. The keeponkovers look really good, I'm surprised that nowhere really sells them in the UK. I'm really tempted to give Speedplays a try, although if I don't get on with them it could be a costly mistake! Although based on feedback/reviews I think I'll be converted once I try them.

Latest Comments