Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New to Road cycling...

Hi All,

Just signed up to the forum as looking for bit more info, guidance and help on road cycling.

I've never owned a road bike, up until now its been mountain bike, but still not a huge amount of experience on that either.

I'm looking to start road cycling, mainly for fitness, but dont know much about it.

Ideally looking at a decent but not hugely expensive bike which would suit a beginner and also suit me as I begin to improve get used to it.

I've got a Giant Trance mountain bike, which has been really good so was looking at the Giant road bikes, but someone also suggested Merida. My friends just got into road cycling and he got a good deal on a second hand specialized tarmac.

Does anyone have any tips, thoughts or opinions as to what I should be looking for and also anything to watch out or consider?

I'm 5ft8, so not even sure what size of bike I'd be looking at.

Other than the obvious helmet and padded shorts is there much else I'd need to factor in on starting out costs?

Thanks in advance,

Hamish

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

32 comments

gbscot1975 | 10 years ago
0 likes

A 1k bike ,get looking at last years stock tons of great deals never know.were in the Borders are you ?? Hawick has a lbs that has Merida if close enough Carlisle has Scotby Cycles which has tons of brands specialized,Canondale,Trek and the customer service is usually really good.
Of course the Borders are gods country  21 And good luck looking have fun and pick what your eyes tell you to.

ajmarshal1 replied to HamishB | 10 years ago
0 likes
HamishB wrote:

I'm now swaying into thinking Alu frame/Carbon forks, and looking at something like Shimano Tiagra groupset.

Hopefully I could grab a bargain on such a bike and perhaps keep it under £1000?

Does anyone know if the Giant Defy is a more relaxed geometry or more race orientated?

Felt F85 on Wiggle for £540 (RRP £799) and also pick up some Fulcrum Racing 5s or 3s. I've just bought the Felt as a commuter / poor weather hack and it's blown me away how good it is. It's aggressive but spacered up has plenty of scope to be more relaxed. As you get more used to it, away come the spacers. Unbelievable value. I'm so impressed with it I wrote a forum post about the thing: http://road.cc/content/forum/114989-budget-bike-revelation

The more relaxed Felt, the Z85 is available for around £700, also a serious value for money bike.

Pages

Latest Comments