Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Turbo session at night. Nutrition help appreciated

Hi all
I come back after work and try to start an hours Sufferfest turbo session about 8ish. After I have a recovery drink but don't feel like eating much else as its too late.
I am pushing myself and know that if it was earlier in the day I would have a meal. Any one else have the same connumdrum? I'm concerned that I might not be getting enough protein at the right time.
Thoughts appreciated

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Colin Peyresourde | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, I don't think you've got the hang of a recovery shake. They're a quick replacement to a meal after exercise.

It's true what ajmarshal1 says. Eating late is a myth. Just think about what you want to do after a big meal....sleep. The only thing about eating late is that it may disturb your sleep and so affect your recovery that way.

It is important to replenish yourself after exercise. But I would only entertain a recovery shake when you're unlikely to eat a more substantive meal for a while. This doesn't mean to say that downing a glass of mother natures purest milk isn't a good thing. But only as a prelude to meal.

Nick T | 10 years ago
0 likes

Eating a dinner sized meal just before training isn't a great idea, but as far as I'm aware it doesn't really matter what time you eat as long as you eat smartly. Bodybuilders set their alarm clocks so they can get up after 4 hours sleep, smash some turkey meat down them, then go back to bed for another 4 hours before getting up and hitting the gym again. Doesn't seem to do them any harm.

Simon E replied to Nick T | 10 years ago
0 likes
Nick T wrote:

Bodybuilders set their alarm clocks so they can get up after 4 hours sleep, smash some turkey meat down them, then go back to bed for another 4 hours before getting up and hitting the gym again. Doesn't seem to do them any harm.

Hmmm, they probably say that about steroids and HGH too.  39

If you've eaten adequately over the day then it's probably fine.

You could have a banana with your recovery shake if you feel it's not enough but I'm not sure you should try to eat just because you think you ought to. Eating late at night may prevent you getting a good night's sleep.

Nick T replied to Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

Hmmm, they probably say that about steroids and HGH too.  39

What do steroids have to do with food consumption?

themartincox | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've always been under the impression that eating late at night isn't really ideal, so eat early and have the recovery drink post ride and that should be it.

something about digesting stuff overnight and muscles etc but tbh i may have drifted away on the details

ajmarshal1 replied to themartincox | 10 years ago
0 likes
themartincox wrote:

I've always been under the impression that eating late at night isn't really ideal,

Utter myth. Although the likes of the Daily Mail and the really intense man down the gym with the crossfit T-shirt and the vibram toe trainers will tell you otherwise.

themartincox replied to ajmarshal1 | 10 years ago
0 likes
ajmarshal1 wrote:

Utter myth. Although the likes of the Daily Mail and the really intense man down the gym with the crossfit T-shirt and the vibram toe trainers will tell you otherwise.

well this was by an published cycling coach and nutritionalist so I would presume he knows what he's talking about.

ajmarshal1 replied to themartincox | 10 years ago
0 likes
themartincox wrote:
ajmarshal1 wrote:

well this was by an published cycling coach and nutritionalist so I would presume he knows what he's talking about.

A roast beef dinner followed by two tubes of pringles and a mcflurry immediately before you turn in is probably a bad idea. However the whole don't eat two hours before you go to bed thing is utter bollocks. If you eat properly it doesn't matter what time of day you do so.

If you're hungry, eat but eat sensibly. Your body needs fuel to recover and repair whilst you're asleep.

ajmarshal1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Agree with Nick T, milk is king.

I do my turbo sessions (also sufferfest) late at night (2000 onwards) and immediately have a glass of milk. I follow that up with a bowl of pasta after a shower. Job jobbed.

The only time I use recovery drinks is when meals aren't available, ie on a car journey back from an event.

Nick T | 10 years ago
0 likes

You don't need a recovery drink if you're about to have dinner. Have a small glass of milk instead for an immediate protein hit then have your meal. Recovery drinks are packed with carbs and fats usually, because most people don't take a roast chicken to the gym for afters.

bobbinogs | 10 years ago
0 likes

Why not forego the recovery shake? They are high in protein which satiates hunger (the lack of it in veg salads explains why they never fill one up) and not needed if you are about to eat anyway.

Make the meal an easy one instead, for instance, my midweek club ride was last night and I have got into a nice habit of sticking a massive potato into the oven at a low heat whilst I am out. Then, I get home, wash up and tuck into a lovely baked potato (last night's had a 'topping' of lightly fried mushrooms, onions, chillies, garlic and soya sauce, with some marrowfat peas for extra protein and some strong cheddar to finish it  1 ).

Lot's of other meals you could prep up in advance (why not prep some stews, etc., on a Sunday and freeze them) and have them slow cooking whilst you are working up an appetite? The smell of the cooking will have you hoovering up the food when it is on your plate.

Latest Comments