Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Full House!

It's taken 25 years of road riding, but I've finally managed to knock myself unconscious for the first time and most excitingly, complete the pair of broken collarbones.

This time it's a triple fracture so I might get some internal titanium to match my Audax bike.

Tramadol rocks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Jack Osbourne snr | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ouch Giff.

I don't know yet but I'm estimating four weeks at home and probably 6 or 7 weeks before I can get back in the saddle.

Might need an operation on it, so that might change things slightly.

bollandinho | 10 years ago
0 likes

A Glasgow pothole nearly did something similar to me at the bottom of Wellington Street the other day. I still don't know how I managed to stay on two wheels and avoid something very nasty happening. There are so many big pot holes near me that they are actually starting to block off part of the lane because of them, which is presumably easier than fixing them.

Get well soon man.

giff77 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Glam. This is either Glasgow Council or East Renfrewshire Council. More chance getting blood out of a stone. But here's hoping Jack can squeeze a few drops out of them.

Jack Osbourne snr replied to giff77 | 10 years ago
0 likes
giff77 wrote:

Glam. This is either Glasgow Council or East Renfrewshire Council. More chance getting blood out of a stone. But here's hoping Jack can squeeze a few drops out of them.

How long are you going to be out for Giff?

giff77 replied to Jack Osbourne snr | 10 years ago
0 likes
Jack Osbourne snr wrote:
giff77 wrote:

How long are you going to be out for Giff?

Another 5 weeks before plaster comes off. Then will see how it goes. Cycling mega miles, walking loads and my job having me on my feet doing a lot of lifting and carrying all going in my favour according to the physio when teaching me how to crutch walk. I have a target which helps. Charity cycle at beginning of June through France, Belguim, Holland and Yorkshire only 260 miles but is a focus for me. Staring out the window at the spring weather is the tough bit. How about you?

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't care to enquire any further, BLAME the pot hole, get someone to go get pictures and take a tape measure to get the depth and size.

Then write a nice letter to the council, explaining how you have written off all your clothing, bike and helmet, plus your skin...etc and that you would like some compensation...  3

Leviathan replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Glam wrote:

I don't care to enquire any further, BLAME the pot hole, get someone to go get pictures and take a tape measure to get the depth and size.

Then write a nice letter to the council, explaining how you have written off all your clothing, bike and helmet, plus your skin...etc and that you would like some compensation...  3

Don't forget to tell them what a false economy this is having the NHS pick up the cost of treatment compared to the cost of fixing the pothole; and tell them how you are so sad to have to go down this route but have no choice.

giff77 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Damn Jack. Sorry to hear that. Hope you heal up and get the titanium you want. Must be a Glasgow thing. I managed to smash up my ankle. Got myself a bunch of metal work for my efforts. Here's to the two of us back on two wheels very soon mate.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Shit man, that sounds awful. How did you manage it?

Also, it sounds like you have been trying to knock yourself unconscious for 25 years. I think it might have been easier ways to do it  3

Jack Osbourne snr replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys.

movingtarget | 10 years ago
0 likes

Oh dear. Hope you heal up soon just in time for when the good cycling weather hits.

Wonder how a Skyped wedding would look like on Tramadol?

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

And was one wearing a helmet? Would you comment on its effectiveness?

tee hee, runs away.

Jack Osbourne snr replied to Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Moo!

Bikeboy... One was wearing a helmet, yes.
And I'm very glad I was because it did what it was supposed to do and died instead of me.

It also prevented much of the road from grating my face or scalp off. I have a slightly grated ear, but that's the only visible head damage.

The rest of my left side is shredded though and I've lost a complete set of gear: helmet, long sleeve jersey, new base layer, gloves, bib tights and shoes all shredded or cut off me.

I'm also likely to miss my kid sisters wedding as it's unlikely that I'll be able to travel by Friday.

mooleur | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ouuuch, hope you heal up quick mate!

Latest Comments