Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Lumps and Bumps in Cheshire

I'm trying to compile a comprehensive list of the lumps and bumps around Cheshire. My knowledge as a fledgling roadie only stretches to the parts around Macclesfield and is quite sparse at that, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

So far: (in no particular order)

Mow Cop, Congleton
Swiss Hill, Alderely Edge
Blaze Hill, Bollington
Cat & Fiddle, Macclesfield
Pyms Chair, Saltersford
"Brick Works", Beeston Brow, Bollington
Ankers Knowl Lane, Lamaload
Standing Stone, Macclesfield Forest
Ankers Lane, Macclesfield Forest
Ginclough, Rainow
Bakestonedale Road, Pott Shrigley

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

42 comments

IRISHGENIUS | 8 years ago
0 likes

Only speed bumps... I think there is a lot more than speed bumps, not quite Lake district but some big climbs...I am doing the Fred Whitton and been trying to find as many as possible

for starters add onto Blaze and Pym's chair another

https://www.strava.com/segments/2168257?filter=overall

someone mentioned Combs I would second cowlon Lane, that is steep, but dont undersell Lesser lane, even though with that name it does it self
https://www.strava.com/segments/810015?filter=overall

Also between Chinley and Combs there is big hill lots of quite routes over, here is one
https://www.strava.com/segments/1041889?filter=overall

And if you want another hidden Cobble Climb try these behind KettlesHulme

https://www.strava.com/segments/1343106?filter=overall

Over past Mellor you have Monks Road
https://www.strava.com/segments/1655879?filter=overall

notfastenough | 8 years ago
0 likes

Did a nice combo yesterday - Brickworks, Windgather, Down into the Goyt and along past the reservoir, up the nice climb to the ranger station, carry on towards the Cat & Fiddle but take the left halfway up, up to the top then take a left-right, all the way up to Flash, fill your water bottle from the tap outside the church, then down to Wildboarclough, come back along towards the Cat & Fiddle, but take the left turn up the nasty steep bit into the forest, then on to Macclesfield.

From about mile 20 to 47-ish on here:

https://www.strava.com/activities/292819010

Goyt | 8 years ago
0 likes

Here's The Corkscrew in Strava - https://www.strava.com/segments/8063840 , ave 22.2%!

Pyms Chair - https://www.strava.com/segments/641380

Does anyone have any others favourited in the area that they can post? I'll be heading back 'home' next week and want to get some decent hills in.

notfastenough | 8 years ago
0 likes

That looks tough enough to just be a way to wear out my cleats on the stone, rather than a tough climb to complete.

Still, pyms is tough enough.

CygnusX1 | 8 years ago
0 likes

For anyone mad enough, "the Corkscrew" is Bank Lane, Jenkin Chapel
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Jenkin+Chapel+Saltersford/@53.2878877,-2.0333118,917m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x487a36083d82320d:0x900fa372cae3606d

But take a look at this before you try!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_aE7oD4zCM

Joselito | 8 years ago
0 likes

Some Fella said...
I've seen Team Sky training on Mont Heaton (Didsbury Road is epic)

When I can be arsed I do reps of Didsbury Road - Mauldeth Road - Burnage Lane on the single speed.

Beefy | 8 years ago
0 likes

Check out the Cheshire cobbled classic sportive site, there is a hill called the cork screw! At last years event only one bike got to the top and that was on a high geared mountain bike. It is cobbled muddy and 45%. Sorry I can't advise the exact location as I just followed signs and GPS during the ride.

notfastenough replied to Beefy | 8 years ago
0 likes
Beefy wrote:

Check out the Cheshire cobbled classic sportive site, there is a hill called the cork screw! At last years event only one bike got to the top and that was on a high geared mountain bike. It is cobbled muddy and 45%. Sorry I can't advise the exact location as I just followed signs and GPS during the ride.

Is the ride suitable for a road bike then? Sounds fun.

farrell replied to notfastenough | 8 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:
Beefy wrote:

Is the ride suitable for a road bike then? Sounds fun.

From what I can gather (as I've never knowingly done this climb) - Yes and no.

Many people have managed it, but many people haven't, but it's never pretty. I think that's the attraction.

Beefy replied to notfastenough | 8 years ago
0 likes

I would say it can be ridden on a road bike but you either need lots od power to weight or mtb gearing

AWu-Tang | 8 years ago
0 likes

You should definitely do mow cop on the "killer mile" route up, coming from the train tracks. Its painful. I was up there last year and team sky came flying past, made me feel like i might have been travelling backwards.

crazy-legs | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you draw a line between Alderley Edge and Whaley Bridge, anything SE of that is where the hills start. You can create various shortish loops that still take in several climbs. Have a look on Strava for the segments, you'll see where you can combine a couple of hills. Shouldn't be too long to get out there from Sale. One other option is to get the train out to Edale from Piccadilly then ride back in, that way you can do Winnats Pass or Mam Nick!

MKultra | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you head out of Windsford to the Weaver you can cross the swinging bridge and that takes you up Niddries Lane.

You might want a cross bike for that one.

Joselito | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you fancy 'Everesting' in S. Manc, from Green End Roundabout to Heaton Moor and back down again.
Several thousand reps should do it.

farrell replied to Joselito | 8 years ago
0 likes
Joselito wrote:

If you fancy 'Everesting' in S. Manc, from Green End Roundabout to Heaton Moor and back down again.

Ridiculous suggestion.

Bluestone Drive, behind Burnage Tesco would be a better bet.

Joselito replied to farrell | 8 years ago
0 likes
farrell wrote:
Joselito wrote:

Ridiculous suggestion.

I'll raise you with some cobbles - Dodge Hill, Stockport,

Some Fella replied to Joselito | 8 years ago
0 likes
Joselito wrote:
farrell wrote:
Joselito wrote:

Ridiculous suggestion.

I'll raise you with some cobbles - Dodge Hill, Stockport,

Ive seen Team Sky training on Mont Heaton (Didsbury Road is epic)

CygnusX1 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Interesting list, will have to look some of those up.

Anybody know of ones closer to south Manchester? Due to other commitments I rarely get a chance to ride out for more than a couple of hours and so usually end up doing a circuit round Dunham and/or Tatton park.

The only half-decent climb I've found so far is up Burford Lane / High Legh Road.

Suppose I could start throwing the bike in the back of the car but that feels like cheating somehow.

vonhelmet replied to CygnusX1 | 8 years ago
0 likes
CygnusX1 wrote:

Anybody know of ones closer to south Manchester? Due to other commitments I rarely get a chance to ride out for more than a couple of hours and so usually end up doing a circuit round Dunham and/or Tatton park.

The only half-decent climb I've found so far is up Burford Lane / High Legh Road.

Suppose I could start throwing the bike in the back of the car but that feels like cheating somehow.

I ride down that way from time to time. It's pretty flat. Where are you starting from? I may be able to point you towards some hills.

CygnusX1 replied to vonhelmet | 8 years ago
0 likes
vonhelmet wrote:

I ride down that way from time to time. It's pretty flat. Where are you starting from? I may be able to point you towards some hills.

Starting from Sale, M33.

Some Fella replied to CygnusX1 | 8 years ago
0 likes
CygnusX1 wrote:

I live in South Manchester and i can be out to Pott Shrigley and back in two hours.
If i really leather it i can do Blaze Hill and back in two hours.
If im really pushed for time you can bomb out to Alderley, go up Swiss Hill, come back down, go back up Artists Lane and be back in 90 minutes.
You'll get no hills heading south west as you head out of Manchester - you need to point your bike eastward if you want any real climbing.

CygnusX1 replied to Some Fella | 8 years ago
0 likes
Some Fella wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:

I live in South Manchester and i can be out to Pott Shrigley and back in two hours.
If im really pushed for time you can bomb out to Alderley, go up Swiss Hill, come back down, go back up Artists Lane and be back in 90 minutes.
You'll get no hills heading south west as you head out of Manchester - you need to point your bike eastward if you want any real climbing.

Thanks Fella - have been going SW to hit the country lanes ASAP , but will try planning a few routes heading SE, starting with Alderley/Swiss Hill. Just for reference, what's your typical pace? Looking at my last few GPS logs I'm getting between 20 to 25 kmh average (depending on route/which bike/which legs)

Some Fella replied to CygnusX1 | 8 years ago
0 likes
CygnusX1 wrote:
Some Fella wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:

Thanks Fella - have been going SW to hit the country lanes ASAP , but will try planning a few routes heading SE, starting with Alderley/Swiss Hill. Just for reference, what's your typical pace? Looking at my last few GPS logs I'm getting between 20 to 25 kmh average (depending on route/which bike/which legs)

I have no idea what my pace is in numbers - im fat and slow thats all i know!

I reckon at the pace you describe you can jib through Wythenshawe, through Styal, straight down the (old) A 34 to Alderley and be back to Sale in 2 hours no problem.
You can see how long it takes to get to Alderley and then and then gauge what hills you want to climb when you get there. My choice would be go up Artists Lane, come down Macc Road and if you have time go up Swiss Hill and come back down Macc road again.

Kapelmuur replied to CygnusX1 | 8 years ago
0 likes
CygnusX1 wrote:

From M33 I guess you're about 15 flat miles from Artists Lane/Swiss Hill/The Wizard (and 15 miles back), so putting the bike in the car to get closer to the hills is a good idea.

I park on the quiet lanes near Mobberley or Great Warford if I want to get to the Staffs/Cheshire hills quickly.

Incidently, Burford Lane is not much of a climb but it and Mill Lane, which leads to it from Warburton have just been resurfaced and are very pleasant to ride.

not_marco_pantani | 8 years ago
0 likes

I know most of these rides and did Blaze Hill and Hare Hill on Saturday.

Leave Swiss Hill alone - it's cobbly steepness is just stupid. (Under no circumstances do I say this because I failed to get up it on Saturday. That didn't happen. At all. I am NOT a serial Swiss Hill failure.)  20

Timbo13 | 10 years ago
0 likes

A few lumps and bumps, more short and (very) sharp than long drags:

Col du Mellor (Longhurst Lane)
Cowlishaw Road, Romiley
Apple Street/Cock Brow, Hattersley
Gorsey Brow, Broadbottom

cycling_matt | 10 years ago
0 likes

Don't forget "the Street" leading up to Pyms chair from Fernlee Reservoir. Also short and ridiculously steep "Cowlow Lane" from Combs

Spenergy replied to cycling_matt | 10 years ago
0 likes
cycling_matt wrote:

Don't forget "the Street" leading up to Pyms chair from Fernlee Reservoir. Also short and ridiculously steep "Cowlow Lane" from Combs

That's a killer in the car, never mind on the iron horse

smiley_boy2501 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Higher Lane from Disley/buxton old road.

My old training route was Manc to High Lane (long shallow climb up to High Lane) down to Disley, up buxton old road, right onto Higher Lane, right towards Rainow and then right down Brickworks and back via various route. A right leg/lung buster at that stage. Now i have a 12-28 so its much easier!!!!
Also one of my favourite hills is Longhurst Lane (i think) from Marple. About 15 mins of lovely little houses and great views followed by a huge ramp which makes you wonder why you didnt go for a triple up front. Also around there is Rose hill (again, i think) which goes from the town centre towards stockport. And also the other side which heads towards Glossop. Do those count as Chesire???

I second trying out Blaze Hill/Pym Chair in on go. You'll seriously feel a different rider afterwards. It has gradients the Vuelta would be proud of (or so i'm told)

Shanefutcher | 10 years ago
0 likes

Im from cheshire but recently moved to north wales.the hills here are proper hills.in comparison the hills in cheshire are more like speed bumps in the road.

Pages

Latest Comments