Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best lightweight road bikes £1000-£2000??

Hi all (Here's my first post!!)

I've been cycling about 18 months currently on a felt Z95 which has been good, but the time has come for me to upgrade.
I'd like something with a good group set and i'd like it to be as light as possible for some decent climbing!
I plan to do a few races/sportive's but mostly just lots and lots of miles of recreational cycling.
Does anyone know of any good lightweight bikes with a good reliable setup behind it.
i'm looking to spend in-between £1000-£2000.

Any advice/links would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks all  4  4

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

peterben | 10 years ago
0 likes

You should look at the Cycling Plus bikes of the year. All under £2000, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Elite SLS 9.0, BMC Teammachine SLR02, Focus Izalco Ergoride 2.0, and the winner: Cannondale Synapse 5. As mentioned by someone else toy get a lot for your money with a Canyon alloy frame.

glynr36 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Canyon are very good for the cash.

s_lim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Decathlon Mach bike; looks like a stealth bomber but is as good as it gets for the price. You've a choice of 10 or 11 speed in your budget too. If you want to stick with alloy, go Canyon Ultimate AL.

Beefy | 10 years ago
0 likes

Take a look at Ribble cycles, I have the sportive bianco T7/8 carbon. I am very happy with the bike. The frame is very good and pound for pound there bikes are hard to beat. They reviews they get are always very good too. It might not have the badge but if you want a really good ride take a look. You can also visit the shop if you close enough and have a look at there bikes. The bike builder is great, you can pick the components you want and work with in your desired budget. I got the 105 for about 1300 with good quality shimano wheels c35s. IMO it's a much better deal than you will get from any of the big manufacturers.

Also look at the sensation range from merlin cycles and Decathlon sport do a lovely carbon bike too.

Flying Scot | 10 years ago
0 likes

Decathlon is worth a look, spend at the lower end and upgrade saddle, wheels, tyres and get yourself a a Garmin?

As the guy above says, 105 or Veloce is good enough, though a full Gruppo is better than one with a cheapo chainset and brakes as many tend to have.

Main choice you have is between alloy or carbon, I don't really like either personally, but that's me.

mrmo | 10 years ago
0 likes

almost an impossible question. Best answer find a bike that looks good and buy it. the price bracket you have given is performance wise, vast.

Find a decent shop, talk about what you want, if your racing you might be needing spares... when/if you crash! I would advise get a decent frame, and decent wheels, don't get to hung up on having Ultegra rather than 105, or Centaur instead of Veloce.

Miles253 replied to mrmo | 10 years ago
0 likes
mrmo wrote:

don't get to hung up on having Ultegra rather than 105, or Centaur instead of Veloce.

Aren't there notable advantages of having Ultegra with the trickle down tech from Dura Ace?

mrmo replied to Miles253 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Miles253 wrote:
mrmo wrote:

don't get to hung up on having Ultegra rather than 105, or Centaur instead of Veloce.

Aren't there notable advantages of having Ultegra with the trickle down tech from Dura Ace?

Not if it means having to cut corners on the wheels and frame.
Good wheels will be far more beneficial than having an Ultegra rear mech. If the budget means you can get Ultegra fine, but don't ignore something just because it is only 105.

0 likes
mrmo wrote:
Miles253 wrote:
mrmo wrote:

Not if it means having to cut corners on the wheels and frame.
Good wheels will be far more beneficial than having an Ultegra rear mech. If the budget means you can get Ultegra fine, but don't ignore something just because it is only 105.

I've got this same dilemma then, I'm feeling if I buy 105, I'll have a constant itch wanting to upgrade. Perhaps because Ultegra would be a proper upgrade over my current bike.

mrmo replied to Miles253 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Miles253 wrote:

I've got this same dilemma then, I'm feeling if I buy 105, I'll have a constant itch wanting to upgrade. Perhaps because Ultegra would be a proper upgrade over my current bike.

And if you buy Ultegra, Dura Ace....

Legs win races not bikes. and the price difference between 105 and Dura ace buys you a couple of weeks in the Canary Islands in the late winter for training.

0 likes
mrmo wrote:
Miles253 wrote:

And if you buy Ultegra, Dura Ace....

Legs win races not bikes. and the price difference between 105 and Dura ace buys you a couple of weeks in the Canary Islands in the late winter for training.

Yeah very true, point taken.

Latest Comments