Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Stopping in the wet

So having survived the wet ride home I noticed that my v-brakes weren't hugely effective.

Anyone got any specific tips on tweaking them to work a bit better? Should I just tighten them up as much as possible or is it more keeping them as dry and warm as possible while riding?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

OldRidgeback | 14 years ago
0 likes

Make sure the blocks are correctly positioned too. This can make quite a difference.

l4urence | 14 years ago
0 likes

Going back many years the block compounds were different colours - black which were harder was suitable for dry weather and red which were softer was suitable for wet. Using red blocks in the summer just wore them out faster.

I remember swapping the blocks - or at least using red blocks on the winter bike.

Hope this helps.

step.doran | 14 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the tips. My backs are ashima 3 function blocks which felt pretty good until the wet day, think I did some 'on the move' adjustment and think I've moved them right off.

May be some sunday arvo tinkering methinks.

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

clean your rims too, give the braking surface a good scrub. a bit of emery board out of a puncture repair kit is good for roughing them up a bit and giving your brakes more bite, careful you don't sand your tyres though  1

cat1commuter | 14 years ago
0 likes

Shouldn't be any problem in the wet with V-brakes.

You don't want them to bite too soon. The bite point should be where the levers are reasonably close to the bars, where your fingers have more power (but obviously not so close that the levers can touch the bars).

Otherwise I second what purplecup said. The compound in the blocks can make a big difference in the wet.

purplecup | 14 years ago
0 likes

changing the blocks can make a whole world of difference - what blocks are you running now?

Latest Comments