Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Lidl cycling gear!

Ok, so being "fortunate" enough to live close to both an Aldi and a Lidl, I noticed that the latter is doing a sale on cycling gear next week (17 March).

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-B24A5B45-B768B774/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/o...

The stuff on offer certainly seems to sit at the cheapest end of the spectrum, making the Aldi kit look like Rapha, but may be of interest to someone...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

38 comments

bamilton wackad... | 9 years ago
0 likes

Bib tights at £9.99 looks like a decent deal for commuting spares

Maggers replied to bamilton wackademical | 9 years ago
0 likes
bamilton wackademical wrote:

I thought the same but the fit of the pad was terrible for me. It's way too wide on the pair I have

bamilton wackad... replied to Maggers | 9 years ago
0 likes
Maggers wrote:
bamilton wackademical wrote:

I thought the same but the fit of the pad was terrible for me. It's way too wide on the pair I have

I suppose there would have to be a catch at that price. I got some touring shorts from Aldi where the pad is terrible.

Binky replied to Maggers | 9 years ago
0 likes

You just need a bigger bottom  26

0 likes

Good point. Less cycling, more cake.

Kapelmuur | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have an Aldi track pump which has given excellent service for the past 2 years.

0 likes

Good news folks - I went and checked out some of the stuff so you don't have to (unless you really want to, of course)

The bib tights are pretty much as expected. They're warm enough if not particularly breathable. The pad isn't too wide, but it's on the thinner end of the scale, so fine for an hour or two in the saddle but I wouldn't use them for much more. The straps are mesh and wide enough so they're comfortable over the shoulder. Otherwise my only real criticism is they're a bit on the baggy side around the calves/ankles so I can see them twisting a bit while on a ride. Still, £9.99 is a decent price for a spare set for winter commuting - and for that they'll do the job just fine.

Otherwise I picked up the winter gloves for £3.99 which come in a good range of sizes, but every pair I tried on had massive thumbs which I can imagine being annoying. I still grabbed a pair anyway for colder days. I picked up a couple of pairs of the socks at £2.99 as well, which are fine and a but of a no-brainer at that price.

The rest of the gear I wouldn't bother with. The tops and gilets (not advertised on the site looked sweaty and not particularly sturdy construction. The accessories (brick sized LED lights, horrible helmets, huge saddles etc) I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. They've got cheap pulleys to hang your bike up in the garage if you need that sort of thing. The track pumps look fine - but all shrinkwrapped to the nth degree so I couldn't give them a close inspection.

mike the bike | 9 years ago
0 likes

Despite possessing shapely feet, neither too large nor too small and without unsightly lumps, I go through socks at a surprising and expensive rate. The Lidl sock drawer is therefore my second home, they are always wonderful value and I buy them by the dozen.

(Can anyone explain why the white variety lasts only half the life of the black?)

Pages

Latest Comments