Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tirreno-Adriatico

This competition is pretty much ready to go and should be open tomorrow.

Some things to note on scoring, there is only one category of climb in the race which means all climbs score the same points in this race and in the fantasy game which will be 5, 3, 2 & 1 for the first four over the summit.

The race starts with a TTT on Wednesday afternoon followed by 5 stages before an ITT to finish.  So far the start time for the first stage is the only one that has been announced.  Hopefully the rest are confirmed before the race starts but if not we'll need to set early transfer deadlines to make sure that the window closes before the stage starts each day so bare that in mind and check the 'stages' page for the race each day to make sure you know when the deadlines will be for each stage.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

75 comments

Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've already changed my team a number of times, and I'm still not happy with it.

livestrongnick replied to STEVESPRO 79 | 10 years ago
0 likes
STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

This is a right lottery....I never thought that I would say this but I wish there was a `Lucky Dip` button for this race.....

Having said that how my season is going so far I could probably use a Lucky Dip button for every race.....  102  39  7

I made this suggestion at the end of last season, really wanted it for my purist selections as I'm piss poor at that.....  2

JAndrewHill | 10 years ago
0 likes

Its impossible. Too many good riders and I cant afford more than five...and then its four for under a fiver. Might have a chance if im lucky.

dave atkinson replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:
enrique wrote:
chrisdstripes wrote:

[W]was hoping for 150 credits...

Me too!  22 Dan, what's the criteria for setting the budget? The 150 budget seems comfortable for the Classics. A 140 budget feels a little pinched. I get the impression the fields at Tirreno or Paris Nice are just as stacked as the Classics. Is the budget set by the game manager at their discretion or is there a calculation based on the weight of the values of the rider field? It feels weird when you guys say:

Gkam84 wrote:

... I set it up for Dave and changed it to a certain number, It was set at 125 before and then Dave settled on 140....

or...

drheaton wrote:

Be glad that I changed it, Gkam had set the budget at 130 originally  19

It seems like it's at the discretion of whoever's managing the game. Do you guys add up the total value of the field to gauge how much the whole field of riders is worth before setting the budget or something like that?  39

Just wondering.  39 Will the budget ever go above 150? For example for the Tour?  4

Budget is totally discretionary based on the relative strength of the field when compared against a grand tour (which will probably have a budget of 150). While the field for TA is pretty strong it's not grand tour strong as shown by the fact that there are only 8 riders proved over 30 credits and that most of the main GC guys are in the 20-30 credit bracket.

150 credits is the maximum budget as far as I'm aware and the variation was only brought in to deal with the situations that arose last year where field were relatively weak in the smaller races meaning you could pick near perfect teams.

yeah, it's a tough one with only 140 credits to spend, this. but hey, noone wants it to be too easy all the time, do they? where's the fun in that?

the budget is set by hand. we decide it when we know who's racing. we *could* set it by algorithm based on the value of the riders in the field. but it's fun to throw a tricky one in from time to time. and everyone's in the same boat.

the budget *could* go over 150 for the grand tours, there's nothing stopping it. it *might* for the TdF, the others, unlikely.

JAndrewHill replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

Still loving it....even though ive been pretty useless/unlucky this year.

Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's a level playing field.

(Now where have I heard that before?)

chiv30 | 10 years ago
0 likes

My 2p .....I think for purist you should keep the 150 budget on stage races such as T-A where there's a strong field and every type of stage possible after all once your purist is picked there's no changes so there isn't the tactics of sprinters /tters in then out which in turn still make your original picks a lot harder than std ....

As I said just my 2p  39

enrique replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

... the budget *could* go over 150 for the grand tours, there's nothing stopping it. it *might* for the TdF...

That would be very lovely, thank you!  1

Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well window closed, so that's that then. The race is on and I have played it safe and hedged my bets, understanding that there will almost certainly be some penalty points tonight.

OPQS
Poels
Cav

OGE
Meyer
Impey

SKY
Sioutsou

MOV
Inxausti

TREK
Arredondo

CDALE
Borghini

BELK
Goos

Tricky one indeed.

backflipbedlem | 10 years ago
0 likes

Used my Purist team to go for the TTT.

2 OPQS
2 Orica
2 Mov
2 Sky
1 Tinkoff

And filled my Standard with Sprinters for tomorrow.

cherrypicked | 10 years ago
0 likes

some similarities but also some differences...

Daryl Impey (OGE)
Michael Hepburn (OGE)
Julian David Arredondo (TFR)
Kristian Sbaragli (MTQ)
Mark Cavendish (OPQ)
Wout Poels (OPQ)
Bernhard Eisel (SKY)
Andrey Amador (MOV)
Sacha Modolo (LAM)

Gone for less penalties and probably less credits.
Borghini could be a good 3.5 pick...

Twybaydos | 10 years ago
0 likes

Did anyone not pick Arredondo?

dave atkinson replied to enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
chrisdstripes wrote:

[W]was hoping for 150 credits...

Me too!

It seems like it's at the discretion of whoever's managing the game. Do you guys add up the total value of the field to gauge how much the whole field of riders is worth before setting the budget or something like that?  39

Just wondering.  39 Will the budget ever go above 150? For example for the Tour?  4

we now have a handy back-end tool that works out an average rider value based on the startlist, and does a back-of-a-fag-packet calculation to suggest a competition budget.

it doesn't set the budget though, that's still at our discretion

it suggested a good budget for TA might be 152  19

dave atkinson replied to Twybaydos | 10 years ago
0 likes
Twybaydos wrote:

arredondo: CHECK  1

backflipbedlem replied to Twybaydos | 10 years ago
0 likes
Twybaydos wrote:

Feel like I'm missing out!

0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

we now have a handy back-end tool that works out an average rider value based on the startlist, and does a back-of-a-fag-packet calculation to suggest a competition budget....

How can you not love a man like you? That's pretty cool, Dave! I love it!  4

Dave Atkinson wrote:

t suggested a good budget for TA might be 152  19

Heh heh! Awesome! I hope you trust it enough for the next races! It might be pretty cool! I wonder what it will suggest for the Tour?  39 I don't know if I saved them but it might be pretty cool to see the average rider values for the races we've already done just to compare! It'd be nice to see what your 'tool' suggested for the Classics and Paris Nice. I wonder what's a better indicator of field strength? Total value of the field or average rider value? I might take a look at total value... The difference between races might be more apparent.... You're awesome, Dave, I mean it!  1

Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes

The lower the budget, the more differences surely? We don't want everyone picking the same team.

drheaton replied to Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

The lower the budget, the more differences surely? We don't want everyone picking the same team.

Pretty much, rather than everyone picking the best 5 guys and the difference being the cheap riders a low budget means you need to pick which of the favourites you want.

cherrypicked replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Need some value in the low end to assist with picking different riders

livestrongnick replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:
Twybaydos wrote:

arredondo: CHECK  1

Double check  103

backflipbedlem replied to backflipbedlem | 10 years ago
0 likes
backflipbedlem wrote:

Used my Purist team to go for the TTT.

2 OPQS
2 Orica
2 Mov
2 Sky
1 Tinkoff

And filled my Standard with Sprinters for tomorrow.

Well with Cannondale ahead of Sky, that's my attempt buggered!

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

How many good TTTs do Movistar have to ride before Eurosport commentators stop being suprised?

0 likes

Well I make it 142 points.
Do u get GC points in a TTT?

0 likes

Yep, you'll get GC points, so Cav gets a 10-point bonus etc...
I had 2 OPQ, 2 Orica, 1 Movistar (no Sky) and the rest for tomorrow, so went as well as I could have hoped, maybe even a couple of points for my 3.0 riders...

0 likes

Anyone know what order Omega crossed the line?
Or have the GC positions?

dave atkinson replied to enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:

I don't know if I saved them but it might be pretty cool to see the average rider values for the races we've already done just to compare! It'd be nice to see what your 'tool' suggested for the Classics and Paris Nice.

Classics is hard to say because the field changes completely for each race. but here's some others:

TDU: 138
TOQ: 134
TMD: 148
TOO: 142
VAA: 146
PNI: 140

0 likes

I can't look at the cycling websites in case I see the Paris-Nice result, watching it now. Was definitely Cav 1st tho.

0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

Classics is hard to say because the field changes completely for each race. but here's some others:

TDU: 138
TOQ: 134
TMD: 148
TOO: 142
VAA: 146
PNI: 140

Wow. Nice!  1 I can't wait to see what your fascinating equation yields for the Dauphine, the TDS and Tour! I like the idea of setting the budgets at 140 for the smaller races and 150 for the Classics, Paris Nice and Tirreno. Of course, I'd love to see 175, as was suggested last year, for the Tour! When I think we only had one (!) 3.0 rider? Maybe I'm wrong about that  39  1

simon F | 10 years ago
0 likes

GC

1 132 CAVENDISH Mark
2 133 KWIATKOWSKI Michal
3 131 URAN URAN Rigoberto
4 137 RENSHAW Mark
5 136 POELS Wouter
6 135 PETACCHI Alessandro +2"
7 134 MARTIN Tony +3"
8 148 IMPEY Daryl +11"
9 144 CLARKE Simon +11"
10 142 DURBRIDGE Luke +11"

Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yay, 139 for me today.

And 5 transfers done and filled the team with sprint talent for tomorrow.

Pages

Latest Comments