Home

Thought I would get in there before someone starts a thread asking when it will be open.

I am working on things, but there is just no information coming from team or organisers. I've tried many times to get team details for the first race, the Boels Rental Ronde van Drenthe, on 15th March.

So it is currently looking doubtful at best. If that doesn't go ahead, I'll have to wait on Dave's decision, but I would pull the whole womens world cup and replace it with the womens Giro and Tour of Britain.

140 comments

drheaton [3318 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

That sounds fair enough, despite being the highest level of women's road cycling some of the events still come across as being run pretty amateurishly when compared to the men's events.

The women's Tour of Britain seems to be shaping up to be a great event and might be a good addition.

Gkam84 [9086 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

The world cup, the "highest" level, seems to be second rate compared to most other womens races, which is a same, because I was looking forward to running it.

But Giro and ToB look to be the most high profile races to run

chrisdstripes [1721 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

How's it going GKam? Any joy with info for this Saturday or are we looking like changing things around?

leortp [66 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I've worked with one of the top women's teams and was at a World Cup race last year with them. Admirable but I was surprised you opted to do the World Cups - even in situ details are very sketchy. Think this plan B sounds better - plus the worlds.

0 likes

Just finishing a couple of things off and it should be open soon

ray silvester [1836 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Don't know why we're bothering with the Women's at all to be honest  24

jollygoodvelo [1400 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

So, it's Vos, Armitstead, Annemiek and, er, some others?

0 likes

Time for quite a few people to learn some more about women's cycling I think. There are loads of good riders out there riding well and women's cycling is as diverse and exciting (if not more so) than men's.

It's the usual example but the women's road race at the 2012 Olympics was more interesting to watch and had a more exciting outcome than the men's.

Likewise there are really great riders out there who should be household names but aren't.

I'm quite excited about the women's races and it'll be interesting to see how they take on. Coverage is a problem and they do seem poorly organised but I think it's a great addition and I'll forward to beating you all  1

simon F [1001 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

Don't know why we're bothering with the Women's at all to be honest  24

Personally I'm pleased to see it there. Since the emphasis in the game has become more on individual competitions as opposed to the overall, there is no reason for anyone to play a competition they don't like. I'm not really keen on the men's one day races - they seem too much of a lottery. I still choose to play them but don't expect to do well. I wouldn't really lose anything if I chose not to instead.

ray silvester [1836 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

For me it's about as close to the existing game as adding say a fantasy football element.......willing to be proven wrong though

simon F [1001 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Gizmo_ wrote:

So, it's Vos, Armitstead, Annemiek and, er, some others?

Vos's first World Cup race is likely to be La Fleche Wallone so not really.

Joelsim [1975 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

This is my downfall as I know Jacqueline about women's cycling.

REALJimBob [8 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
REALJimBob [8 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

or: http://women.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?detp=view&_ap=startlijst&editi...

A couple of minutes with Google seemed to work.

Obviously, I'd love to see the Giro Donne and the Women's Tour (of Britain) included as well. Shame we're otherwise missing out on those other races that carry a matching women's race: Qatar, GW, Omloop, World Champs...

mooleur [537 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Some of the comments on this thread actually made me do a small sick in my mouth. @Ray Silvester - you are either a huge troll or incredibly stupid, either way your understanding of cycling, let alone women's cycling, probably needs improving.

Great effort GKam & thanks for putting this together - I know how frustrating getting info out of some of the events can be.

chiv30 [986 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
mooleur wrote:

. @Ray Silvester - you are either a huge troll or incredibly stupid, either way your understanding of cycling, let alone women's cycling, probably needs improving.

That comment in itself shows you don't use the fantasy forum much and if you actually think the above is true and you have then come out with that then surely you are the epitomy of your own comment?

As for the women's world cup it's the same with the rest of the road.cc fantasy cycling if you have an interest play if not don't bother each to their own I guess

mooleur [537 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
chiv30 wrote:

That comment in itself shows you don't use the fantasy forum much and if you actually think the above is true and you have then come out with that then surely you are the epitomy of your own comment?

As for the women's world cup it's the same with the rest of the road.cc fantasy cycling if you have an interest play if not don't bother each to their own I guess

I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean, or where you're coming from?

jollygoodvelo [1400 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Time for quite a few people to learn some more about women's cycling I think. There are loads of good riders out there riding well and women's cycling is as diverse and exciting (if not more so) than men's.

It's the usual example but the women's road race at the 2012 Olympics was more interesting to watch and had a more exciting outcome than the men's.

Likewise there are really great riders out there who should be household names but aren't.

I'm quite excited about the women's races and it'll be interesting to see how they take on. Coverage is a problem and they do seem poorly organised but I think it's a great addition and I'll forward to beating you all  1

Well said, and I completely agree; my comment was more that despite following all racing as much as I can (while holding down a job...) I still have trouble naming more than about a dozen female riders. Outside of the three above, the leading lights of the Wiggle squad, Wyman and Siri Minge I really struggle. More coverage needed.

0 likes
mooleur wrote:

Some of the comments on this thread actually made me do a small sick in my mouth. @Ray Silvester - you are either a huge troll or incredibly stupid, either way your understanding of cycling, let alone women's cycling, probably needs improving.

Great effort GKam & thanks for putting this together - I know how frustrating getting info out of some of the events can be.

Calling someone incredibly stupid based on one potentially tongue-in-cheek forum post makes me do a little sick in my mouth.

I don't know Ray, but I took his comment as saying that the fantasy game is arguably branching out and becoming over-complicated by including races that do not feature any of the riders that we follow day-to-day. A comment which others made last season to some extent over including some of the smaller, non-televised men's races. I'd certainly be surprised if they were meant as derogatory to women's cycling in any way. If Ray turns out to be a misogynist git then I take it all back, but I think it may be too early to judge...

Personally I welcome the effort to promote women's racing, although I hope that at least some of them are televised, and info is not too hard to come by, otherwise it could be a futile effort. Fingers crossed!

0 likes
mooleur wrote:

I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean, or where you're coming from?

Ok I'll spell it out ....

If you come on a forum and then attack someone for having an opinion, then YOU are either stupid or a troll (your words) hence you are the epitomy of your previous statement.

Let's put this into perspective:

Ray had an opinion you took offence at and rather than question his opinion in a constructive manner you state he is stupid or a troll, I don't believe he is either after seeing him on the forum over the last year, just a person with an opinion ,of which ,you vehemently disagree with judging on your response

Hope that clears it up for you .

0 likes

I agree drh women's cycling is interesting racing so I'm happy it's in , and btw I'm always calm  1

0 likes

Everyone needs to calm down a little bit. I think most people would welcome the addition of the women's races and it was a feature many people have requested but I also think those people who think the game is getting too big have an opinion which is worth listening to. Not every race we've added over the past couple of years has worked and the women's races do need to justify inclusion so we'll see how they do. I hope from a racing and organisational point of view they work but if results are non-existent it'll be hard to keep running them in the future.

On the point about not knowing women riders I think for nearly all fantasy players that point was true about the men before they started playing. Past about a dozen riders very few are known names to those who don't follow cycling religiously so I think adding the women's races into the game will really help with that.

0 likes

Jesus people. I leave you alone for 5 minutes (half a day) and all hell explodes.

I have to agree with Mooleur though.

Results for the world cup are easy to get. That is why I went for it over stage races. The only womens stage race will be the Tour of Britain and then we will look at things for next season.

0 likes

So I'm really pleased we're doing some women's races - they're always exciting to watch. But will it be open soon? I know very little about the riders so might need a fair bit of time to pick my team. Maybe you have a list of rider values you could publish? Just a thought.

Will it be same as Men's classics - eg unlimited transfers for purist? Sorry if I sound impatient but the first race does start in about 36 hours' time...  3

0 likes

I'm sorry it has taken so long, It should be open soon, I've set it up, Dave will be opening it whenever he gets a chance.

Here is a startlist. The riders are in red because I was using the startlist for something behind the scenes.

The values of each rider are in orange to the left of them.

http://b-kam-cycling.co.uk/deelnemerslijst-15-mrt-Boels-Rental-Worldcup.xls

0 likes

Fairly low prices, what's the budget?

0 likes

135. Based on the calculations.

0 likes

Fantastic, thanks GKam - you're a star

0 likes

Nope, Dave is the star, he just gives me a canvass to look good. All I do is program in all the riders and teams, tick some boxes for the start lists and press a few buttons....after a weeks research getting things together of course.

The womens has been my most stressful part to run so far. It has taken me a long time to get everything together. But hopefully it will all go smoothly

cgipryan [201 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Everyone needs to calm down a little bit. I think most people would welcome the addition of the women's races and it was a feature many people have requested but I also think those people who think the game is getting too big have an opinion which is worth listening to. Not every race we've added over the past couple of years has worked and the women's races do need to justify inclusion so we'll see how they do. I hope from a racing and organisational point of view they work but if results are non-existent it'll be hard to keep running them in the future.

On the point about not knowing women riders I think for nearly all fantasy players that point was true about the men before they started playing. Past about a dozen riders very few are known names to those who don't follow cycling religiously so I think adding the women's races into the game will really help with that.

Can't speak for others, but the whole point of the game seemed to me to be about predicting results of races in which we know most riders (and even before starting playing, this was the case, at least for me). As for women, Vos is the only name I know from the Worlds of previous years: as I was waiting for the men's races to begin, there were always reruns of women's races and the commentary I always heard was that Vos had yet again missed her chance of becoming world champ (I think that spell ended last year, but I'm obviously not sure since I know nothing about it).
On the other hand, introducing these races was probably discussed on the forum last year (wasn't paying attention much) and was probably agreed by most, so there's nothing to do. But for those aiming at a placing in the year-long overalls in the game it will be kind of weird to do so by simply guessing, i.e. by relying on abstract information about previous races' results and not on their personal experience about what a rider can do on a particular terrain...
Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to say that women's cycling is useless, all I'm saying is that I don't even have time to watch many of the men's races that I want to see, let alone women's races...

Pages