Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Campagnolo compatibility upgrade

At some point in the near future i will have to admit that the drivetrain on my bike is dead.

I need two new mechs, so Athena 11spd,
I need new Ergos and cables so Chorus 11spd
Cassette Chorus 12-27
I currently have an old sq taper Chorus Chainset, which i plan to keep but need rings if i buy 10spd TA rings, or Campag rings. that will be 53/39, any issues?
Chain KMC 11spd gold thing.

Brakes are brakes?? they are old Centaur, no issues ???? with the new style levers???

Hub is Daytona, so no issues?

Anybody see any flaws in this?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Nick T | 10 years ago
0 likes

You can stick with 10 speed rings happily, I'm not even convinced of a difference. Thinner chainrings probably weren't a successful experiment if they even tried.

mrmo | 10 years ago
0 likes

the cassette choice is 12-27 or 12-29, as i cope on most climbs with a 23, i think 29 would be overkill.

That much i know, chainrings??? Looks like i can get Stronglight CT2 11spd or TA Horus 11spd, Campagnolo 11spd rings need special bolts???? or i can stick with 10spd???

Nick T | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't think there is a 28 Campag cassette, there's a 29 but I'm not entirely sure how compatible that is with the Athena mech.

I'm pretty sure the proposed set up will work as expected though, enjoy.

OldnSlo | 10 years ago
0 likes

53/39 campag chainrings go cheaper on ebay because of course everybody is after a compact. But replace the cassette with a 28/12 you'll get similar ratios to 50/34 25/11 drivetrain. Any lower than that you may have to change the rear mech.
No doubt some knowledgable chap/chapess can give you more details.

harman_mogul | 10 years ago
0 likes

My experience was that third-party rings (Stronglight CT2), even tho a matching pair, did not work ideally well, sometimes dropping the chain between the two on the downshift. Take a deep breath and commit to a new Campagnolo chainset, I would say. (Or buy Campa rings if you are committed to staying with square taper.)

bikerdavecycling | 10 years ago
0 likes

Looks good to me. Can understand upgrade to Chorus ergos. I've a 9 spd Truvativ chainset with 10 speed Campag set up and I do occasionally have an issue with the chain dropping between the chain rings on down shift but I've just adjusted the front mech so going that'll stop. Spect therefore 10 chainset with 11 spd groupset will fine. There's a few forums out there which confirm this.

Latest Comments