Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

When do the mudguards come off?

Been tempted by this weeks weather to think about when I'm going to take the mudguards off my bike.
For those that use them, when will you be taking them off?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

26 comments

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

ASS SAVERS have literally emailed me today with their new design, now in colours!
http://ass-savers.com/
Use the discount code ASO3LOVE at checkout for instant joy! - they say.

I have never taken my Ass Saver off in two years. Filthy beggar.

Jack Osbourne snr | 10 years ago
0 likes

The commuter bike never goes out without guards.
The Audax bike only loses the guards when it comes to sunny places on holiday
The Bella Bianchi never wears guards because she's never worn then in her 25 years and now never goes out unless it's been dry for at least a week

Living in the West of Scotland means a very small window of opportunity when it comes to riding on dry roads.

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

Summer bike came out yesterday! As much because the freehub on winter bike is buggered, but it was ace. Sun shining all the way, warm, mostly dry. So, so much more fun to ride too. I forgot what crisp gear changes were like. Whizzo.

farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

Usually in a fit of temper when the roads have shaken loose various parts of them and they've started jamming in to your wheel.

SamShaw | 10 years ago
0 likes

I took the full mudguards off my winter bike and stuck an ass saver on it for use when "summer" weather is cack. It keeps a surprising amount of water out of your crack/sack area - rubbish for anyone sat behind you though.

I've had carbon frame failures during both summers meaning that I've hopped back to the winter bike. Hopefully this year there won't be any such problems and I'll be riding the summer bike all year!

therevokid | 10 years ago
0 likes

given up even thinking of ever getting them off ...  1

southseabythesea | 10 years ago
0 likes

I bet Rapha do transition mudguards, at great expensive, for this tricky problem.

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ass saver. Takes even less time than your SKS.

glynr36 replied to Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

Ass saver. Takes even less time than your SKS.

Where sells these? I'm tempted to get one for this intermittent time

arrieredupeleton | 10 years ago
0 likes

When the clocks change. It's a symbolic moment when the winter bikes get a service and put in the shed and stays there for the summer (apart from any light touring bimbles). Plastic bike comes out and strava averages go up a bit.  4

Shades | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just before I comment to myself, "why did I take the mudguards off!", as I'm getting a good spraying.

glynr36 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Stay on the winter bike.
I've swapped between winter bike and fast bike the last few weeks depending on the weather, usually for me it's on the clock change, but still depends on the weather.

Bez | 10 years ago
0 likes

Why would I take them off?

andyp | 10 years ago
0 likes

When my skin becomes waterproof. Oh, hang on...  3

Nick T | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm still waiting to take my stabilisers off.

Flying Scot | 10 years ago
0 likes

When you emigrate.

jonathing | 10 years ago
0 likes

When the clocks change.

BBB | 10 years ago
0 likes

When it's dry...

chokofingrz | 10 years ago
0 likes

First week of May? Chromoplastics - a mild hassle. Was actually thinking about buying some more mudguards just the other day!

Comrade | 10 years ago
0 likes

Never...they stay on all year round my bike. Permanent fixture!

giff77 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I loose the guards when the clocks change and I'm sure all the salt is washed away. Last year they were still salting the roads in April here in Scotland. I use cruds so they can clip back on if the weather is suspect for those longer rides. The commuter keeps it's guards all the year round. There's no way I want to come off shift and face 20 odd miles in the pouring rain without them. And it means the daily bike is looked after.

mrmo | 10 years ago
0 likes

still too many flooded roads to be thinking about taking guards off just yet.

KiwiMike | 10 years ago
0 likes

SKS Raceblade Longs say 'any time it's sunny and you've got a free 10 seconds'

SamShaw | 10 years ago
0 likes

Agree with the above.

If you're going to get a wet arse on most of your rides, keep 'em on.

David Arthur @d... | 10 years ago
0 likes

Not yet

movingtarget | 10 years ago
0 likes

Once end of March/early April hits if the forecast is <50% rain for a week then off they go. I've got SKS race blades so it's pretty painless for me to put them back on if the weatherman is off though.

Latest Comments