Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Saddle bag recommendations

I'm looking for people's recommendations on saddle bags please.

Whilst fully aware of Rule 31, I prefer not to stuff my pockets with all the gear needed for longer, solo runs, so am looking for a bag to put it in.

I looked at a few over the weekend, including various sizes of the Topeak bags and some B'Twin ones in Decathlon, but none were really what I wanted.

I'm basically after something big enough to take a small(ish) multi-tool, tube, patches and CO2 inflator, but not so big as to protrude from out the back of the saddle, as a lot of the larger ones do.

I quite like the look of the Lezyne Micro Caddy, but don't have any retailers close enough by to take a look. Anyone use one of those?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

IngloriousLou | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've consolidated down to phone/money in the jersey in an Ikea resealable freezer bag and a small bag under the seat with 2x tubes, micro co2 inflator + canisters and levers.

The Topeak small wedge works for me, though it's pretty much full with that lot.

Chuck | 10 years ago
0 likes

Another medium Caddy user here, very happy with it. About as small as I'd want to go personally though. Any extra space when I've put my tube, tire levers, Park patches and a gel in I just fill up with an extra muesli bar or something.
I've got the quick-release version and I also really like the way it holds it a bit further back- I could occasionally feel other ones I've had on the back of my thighs which is annoying.

chokofingrz | 10 years ago
0 likes

Keep it British, keep it Carradice. Their Midi Saddlepack would be perfect for your needs. http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&product_id=110

I've been running one for 2 years and the construction, waterproofing and attachings are excellent. It has been known to swallow 2 tubes, a puncture kit, multi-tool, spoke key, screwdriver, energy bars, and my keys at one time. Also has a light fitting and pump elastic.

But, if you want to look like everyone else get a Topeak or a Lezyne.

parksey replied to chokofingrz | 10 years ago
0 likes
chokofingrz wrote:

Keep it British, keep it Carradice. Their Midi Saddlepack would be perfect for your needs. http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&product_id=110

Looks good, but is waaaaay bigger than what I was after. The Mini version, at about half the size, is much more like it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Also stumbled across the Arundel Dual bag last night, which certainly looks different. There's definitely choice other than the usual Lezyne/Topeak suspects though, even if they do tick a lot of boxes.

parksey | 10 years ago
0 likes

From looking at the dimensions on the Lezyne website, the medium is nearly twice as large in terms of capacity but whilst not being any longer or wider than the small one, just a bit deeper. I think that's definitely the one to get then if I'm trying to fit tubes and CO2 canisters in it.

Encouragingly, a couple of comments amongst the Wiggle reviews also suggest the Lezyne V10 multi-tool (being the one I've got) fits in the pocket underneath it.

Quick release or velcro?

parksey | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the input on this, particularly on the Lezyne Micro Caddy.

I'm thinking that remains the front-runner, just a case of whether to go small or medium. I just wonder if the small will be that little bit too small.

I had considered using a bottle, but I take on a lot of fluid while cycling and so would prefer to keep both bottles for drinks, especially when doing any distance.

Ssco replied to parksey | 10 years ago
0 likes

The medium is already pretty small. Don't think you'd be able to fit much in a bag that was smaller than it

n8udd | 10 years ago
0 likes

Have you considered using a second bottle instead?

I keep all of my gear, tubes, co2 etc in a second water bottle.

It's easy to switch between bikes, and completely waterproof.

Just an option.

Colin Peyresourde | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have the micro caddy quick release. It's really great. And saves faffing when you need to remove it. Amazed at how great this is - reminds me what an awesome bike I have - with a saddle back it spoils the lines.

I got this for Christmas, so didn't really know that I would like it so much.

Charles_Hunter | 10 years ago
0 likes

Btwin one for ~£4 iirc does everything i need it to, tube, patches, allen keys, spoke tool, phone, £10 note etc. Not too big either.

paulrbarnard | 10 years ago
0 likes

The problem i have found with most saddle bags is that they aren't water proof. I went through several until I finally bought an Ortlieb http://www.ortlieb.de/_prod.php?lang=en&produkt=micro&biketoy=saddle It works great and tucks right under the seat. Everything inside stays nice and dry, which is a great plus point if you put your phone in there.

movingtarget | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've got the medium Lezyne micro caddy and it fits snugly underneath my Selle San Marco Caymano saddle without any protrusion. The wide Velcro strap keeps it firmly in place over choppy terrain (cobblestone, rail tracks, potholed asphalt,...). Mine holds an inner tube, Crank Brothers 10-piece multi tool in the top pocket, tire levers in the side pocket, 2 CO2 canisters, and Lezyne CO2 inflator. I could also squeeze in some emergency cash too and an ID but I'd probably forget about it and lose it. Leaves plenty of space on my seat post for a rear light to be good and visible too.

clumsytim | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's always the zips that seem to break first on saddle packs where it has to go round tight corners ...so I'm using this ortleib one at the moment which doesn't have one and is great... Big enough for 2 tubes, multi tool and 2 or 3 CO2 cartridges and a couple of trye levers. http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/bike/saddle-bags/saddlebag-micro.html

Ssco | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've got a Micro Caddy Medium.
It's nice and small, just big enough for a tube, couple of gels and my keys. Has an internal money pocket, slot for levers and one for a patch kit. Also a separate pouch for a small multi tool.
For me it's the perfect size.

velovoice | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like you're talking about seat packs, not saddle bags, yes?

I use this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-aero-wedge-buckle-large-saddle-bag/ It fits all the things you mention plus expands a bit so can also fit in packable waterproof jacket, flapjack/energy bar/gels, cleat covers. I like the strap+buckle fittings as they'll go on any saddle rails.

It's also available in at least two smaller sizes.

If you are indeed thinking saddle bags (to carry all the things you mention plus a few items of clothing/waterproofs etc) but still no wider than your bum, I highly recommend the Carradice Barley: http://carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=range&product_id=43

Hope this helps.l

Sensible replied to velovoice | 10 years ago
0 likes
velovoice wrote:

Sounds like you're talking about seat packs, not saddle bags, yes?

I use this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-aero-wedge-buckle-large-saddle-bag/ It fits all the things you mention plus expands a bit so can also fit in packable waterproof jacket, flapjack/energy bar/gels, cleat covers. I like the strap+buckle fittings as they'll go on any saddle rails.

It's also available in at least two smaller sizes.

If you are indeed thinking saddle bags (to carry all the things you mention plus a few items of clothing/waterproofs etc) but still no wider than your bum, I highly recommend the Carradice Barley: http://carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=range&product_id=43

Hope this helps.l

+1 for the Topeak Aero Wedge Large. I carry two tubes, tyre levers, small pump, multi tool and compact waterproof jacket. On long rides it expands to get much more in. Fits my Giant TCR Advanced without being wider than my saddle and doesn't catch my legs at all. I have seen smaller bags causing riding problems.

Latest Comments