Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Paris Nice

Well, it's over a week away but it's a pretty intriguing scenario. The profiles are up at http://www.letour.fr/paris-nice/2014/us/overall-route.html but their race preview comments seem to be true (http://www.letour.fr/paris-nice/2014/us/pre-race/news/ahc/the-race-to-th...). "With a course completely devoid of time trialling and decisive climbs, the 72nd edition of Paris–Nice is one for the all-rounders....the absence of a time-trial... steep, rough climbs rather than highly selective ascents will reward audacity over the natural talent of the mountaineers. " Then it goes on to say the "title might still depend on the time bonuses to be picked up on the finish line!"

The only mountaintop finish is a Cat 2, at the end of Stage 6, it seems tailor made for Luis Leon Sanchez!  1 But he's not there!  40

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

35 comments

FirstCycling | 10 years ago
0 likes

Transfers between stages in P-N on Purist team???

dave atkinson replied to FirstCycling | 10 years ago
0 likes
FirstCycling wrote:

Transfers between stages in P-N on Purist team???

nope

TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Right, just back from Norwich, gonna do in update in the next 20

Twybaydos | 10 years ago
0 likes

Late adjustment - Tanel Kangert is out of P-Nice, doing Roma-Maxima instead. Agnoli in Astana team instead

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

DS is domestique and just covers anyone under a certain value which is usually about 15 credits.

sanderville | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thank you, doctor. So in the case of the Schlecks "DS" stands for something other than domestic.

chiv30 replied to sanderville | 10 years ago
0 likes
Sanderville wrote:

Thank you, doctor. So in the case of the Schlecks "DS" stands for something other than domestic.

I'n the case of the schlecks it stands for "Don't Select!"

Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes

Budget is right. We can't all pick the same stars.

sanderville | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's too hard. I need more money. I know I say that every year but it's always too hard.

Maybe this isn't the place to ask, and without wishing to start a whole flaming argument, how come Meersman is "AR" and Terpstra is "PC"?

enrique replied to sanderville | 10 years ago
0 likes
Sanderville wrote:

... I need more money. I know I say that every year but it's always too hard....

I wish we had a bigger budget!  20

drheaton replied to sanderville | 10 years ago
0 likes
Sanderville wrote:

It's too hard. I need more money. I know I say that every year but it's always too hard.

Maybe this isn't the place to ask, and without wishing to start a whole flaming argument, how come Meersman is "AR" and Terpstra is "PC"?

AR and PC are based purely on past scores. The classics and the Tour of Qatar are generally flat which means Terpstra scores most of his points on flat stages meaning he gets a PC or 'Points Classification' listing suggesting he's a sprinter. Meersman on the other hand scores on flat and MM stages (lumpy days or up hill sprints) meaning he scores points across different terrain and gets the AR or 'All Rounder' listing.

Its not done subjectively, its all based on past stage scores and the types of terrain they succeed on.

dave atkinson replied to sanderville | 10 years ago
0 likes
Sanderville wrote:

less than a quarter of Meersman's points have come on flat stages, so the game doesn't classify him as a sprinter

Twybaydos | 10 years ago
0 likes

One thing factored in TER's updates but not detailed - Porte is out. Froome has back-knack so Porte moves to Italy. Everyone is happy with this

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/03/news/aso-angry-portes-shift-tirre...

0 likes

Rosters have now been updated, think I caught everything. If any changes happen tomorrow I will do them tomorrow night when I get back from Norwich, so they will get done, just may be late on

livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes

big question for me is Meersman or Boonen?  39

Ghedebrav replied to livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes
livestrongnick wrote:

Ha! Perhaps rather foolishly, I have neither. Degenkolb instead. Meersman seems overpriced (though that's what I thought about Kwiatkowski in the Algarve so what do I know?).

You have given me food for thought with Boonen, though. If nothing else, form's form  39

livestrongnick replied to Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes
Ghedebrav wrote:
livestrongnick wrote:

Ha! Perhaps rather foolishly, I have neither. Degenkolb instead. Meersman seems overpriced (though that's what I thought about Kwiatkowski in the Algarve so what do I know?).

You have given me food for thought with Boonen, though. If nothing else, form's form  39

Boonen probably just using this as training for classics and Meersman will get the nod, gone with neither in the end. All out sprint train for 3 stages  4

ray silvester replied to livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes
livestrongnick wrote:
Ghedebrav wrote:
livestrongnick wrote:

Boonen probably just using this as training for classics and Meersman will get the nod, gone with neither in the end. All out sprint train for 3 stages  4

I'm going with Boonen as my standard team will probably stand for the first 3 stages

Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes

When I first saw the course and the fact that there was no TT, nor was the Col D'Eze present I thought "Pah, another step towards this race's irrelevance courtesy of the boneheads at ASO"

But...

On reflection I really like the fact that rather than being an early training race for TdF, as it was becoming, Paris-Nice is having a bit of character returned to it. It's a race for the buccaneering all-rounder who can hang with the mountain goats and punch up the steep segments, as well as providing plenty of good sprinty action early doors and mucho breakaway potential. If the teams/riders show up for this one, it could be a pivotal edition of this venerable but fading race. Here's hoping, anyway.

EDIT: I see the Col D'eze is present. Silly me. Comment still stands though  1

ray silvester replied to Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes

buccaneering all-rounder who can hang with the mountain goats and punch up the steep segments, as well as providing plenty of good sprinty action early doors and mucho breakaway potential.

That's pretty much Chava's Wiki page entry!!

ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes

There's a lot of good Young 'uns  8

Twybaydos | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm afraid you have the wrong Yates brother - Simon is doing P-Nice

http://www.greenedgecycling.com/news/paris-nice-preview--chasing-stage-wins

Shame they don't cost the same

chrisdstripes replied to Twybaydos | 10 years ago
0 likes
Twybaydos wrote:

I'm afraid you have the wrong Yates brother - Simon is doing P-Nice

http://www.greenedgecycling.com/news/paris-nice-preview--chasing-stage-wins

Shame they don't cost the same

Thanks Twybados, they nearly fooled me there...

enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yay! We're up!  1 But the budget is at 140?  2

simoncon | 10 years ago
0 likes

Roster looks good, will be in Mougins and Nice for the final 2 stages. Shame they dropped the TT as it was spectacular day in 2012

0 likes

Ive done preliminary startlists, told you I was doing this last night, and Id let Dave know it was ready, which I did, so it will be open soon, probably in the morning. It has nothing to do with the startlists/teams, its about not having too much stuff open at once or too early. As it starts sunday, most will pick teams friday night or saturday anyway

enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Can we open Paris Nice like Strade Bianche was open? With the rosters of all the teams that are riding? The start list at PCS is pretty much complete, with all teams having a full roster on the site and 12 confirmed teams. My impression is that what's more important right now is probably the values of the riders we want on our teams. I think many of us feel pretty good about who we want to choose, it's just a matter of knowing what budget we're playing within and whether we can fit in the riders we want or not. Thanks!

enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes

It looks like PCS has full rosters for every team going to PN!  4 When do we get to start?  16 I'm ready!  4

TERatcliffe26 replied to enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:

It looks like PCS has full rosters for every team going to PN!  4 When do we get to start?  16 I'm ready!  4

PCS may well do, but I have no official rosters as of yet

enrique replied to TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

... I have no official rosters as of yet

Are you looking at each team's website or the race start list?

By the way, will rider values be reevaluated after the weekend races? So, for example, can we expect Hofland and Boonen to be pricier, or will they keep the same values as in the Spring Classics competition?

Is the reason you wait so that you make the least amount of changes later? Just wondering, 'cause PCS has been so reliable!

Pages

Latest Comments