Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice - Shimano Ultegra 6800 Groupset vs Campagnolo Athena Carbon Groupset

Ladies and Gents, i currently have Shimano Tiagra fitted to my bike and i'm looking to upgrade the groupset as its getting a bit worn.

Now i'm no genius when it comes to groupsets and i'm more inclined to pick one that looks good on my bike rather than going into the in's and out's of specifications etc.

So having said that i've decided to go for either the Ultegra 6800 or the Campag Athena. Both look completely different but i'm drawn towards the Campag as i can get it in black which matches my frame, a minor point i know.

What i'm after from you lovely people is your thoughts on which one is best or which one to totally avoid. Both are similar priced at the £500+ mark.

Cheers.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

63 comments

allezrider | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's just one of those things - it either matters to you or it doesn't . For me it doesn't feel right to have wheels saying Campagnolo matched to a Shimano gruppo. It doesn't really matter anymore as if you want Campag wheels that don't shout 'Campagnolo' you can get the equivalent Fulcrum version.

Jack Osbourne snr | 10 years ago
0 likes

Both Ultegra and Athena are very good. As there is little to separate performance-wise, other more subjective factors come in to play...

I ride Campagnolo because I prefer how it looks.
I ride Campagnolo because I have to replace stuff less often than my Shimano riding pals
I ride Campagnolo because its what I used when I discovered that even Cat2 was likely to evade me and it reminds me of my yoof.
I ride Campagnolo because as much as I like sushi, I'm really a pasta lover at heart.

Midas98 | 9 years ago
0 likes

For me it is Campag all the way, I have ridden bikes with Shimano 1055 back in the 80/90's and it was ok but I did break a lot of things. Things like bottom bracket cups, axles, replaced several cranks and even a hub (well the bearing cups) with Campag CDA/ Record I never had any issues. I have recently started replacing my old record items for more modern parts, I found that as usual Campag build quality is second to none and you have to admit it looks so good. But it looks nicer and I actually like the clunky gear change as I find it a help for me to know I have changed gear, as I had to come away from the old levers on the down tube to them being on the brake levers.

Personally you want the silver groupset as it will stand out perfectly, you want everyone to know you have Campag on your bike.

Pages

Latest Comments