Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

fixie/single speed tyres

I have got myself a Charge Plug to replace my road racer, and i love it, but the tyres although tough are slow. Can i get a recommendation for a replacement tyre that is fast roller yet tough enough to cope with a commute. Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Spesh All Condition Armadillo Elites. Very tough and not too heavy.

Jimbonic | 9 years ago
0 likes

I just use the same tyres I would on my geared bike. Right tyres for the conditions, I say, rather than specific to the bike. Of course, they have to fit. Mind you, I don't go in for all this skidding mullarkey!

I had Vredestein Fortezza Superlites on my Langster (before it was nicked!  14 ) and have Bontrager Racelites on my steel (home build) fixie (can't remember the size - 23 or 25 mm).

I have no problems with speed on any of the tyres mentioned. I even managed to beat or get close to some of my times round Richmond Park recently; times I'd set on my geared racing-style bike.

CanAmSteve | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hmmm... Fixie tyres get used quite differently from singlespeed, in my experience. Something about all that skidding. Surprised you find it slow after a geared bike - singlepeeds are very efficient. What's on it - 35mm whitewalls?

+1 on 25mm - and will add Specialized Armadillo to the suggestions

funkdubious replied to CanAmSteve | 9 years ago
0 likes
CanAmSteve wrote:

Hmmm... Fixie tyres get used quite differently from singlespeed, in my experience. Something about all that skidding. Surprised you find it slow after a geared bike - singlepeeds are very efficient. What's on it - 35mm whitewalls

+1 on 25mm - and will add Specialized Armadillo to the suggestions

Yeah, youre right about the needs being different for a fixie or single speed. I've learnt abit more since I asked the question.
Im glad i binned the geared road bike and lyrca, wasnt really me anyway. I do enjoy passing those guys all dressed up riding their carbon bikes on my steal single speed wearing by jeans, trainers and messenger bag  1

giff77 replied to CanAmSteve | 9 years ago
0 likes
CanAmSteve wrote:

Hmmm... Fixie tyres get used quite differently from singlespeed, in my experience. Something about all that skidding.

Have yet to skid a fixed gear  16

CanAmSteve replied to giff77 | 9 years ago
0 likes
giff77 wrote:
CanAmSteve wrote:

Hmmm... Fixie tyres get used quite differently from singlespeed, in my experience. Something about all that skidding.

Have yet to skid a fixed gear  16

You'll get there. Just find a hill and a some careless abandon  1

Jimbonic replied to CanAmSteve | 9 years ago
0 likes

The only time I tried it (skidding) was completely by accident - and I fell off!  40

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Gatorskins for me. 23mm don't feel like they have much grip but the 25s are nice. Nice enough, anyway. London cuts them to shreds but they keep on going.

gawl07 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had Thick Slick tyres for a while and found them to be a nice, smooth ride. You can pay more to get Thick Slicks with greater protection. It's personal choice but I liked them

Scoob_84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

My 25mm armadillos are a pretty hefty in size, look a perceptibly slow to the eye and even rub a little in the inside of my mudguards....but several of my strava top tens in London say otherwise.

I'm not sure how much of a real difference tyres make to speed, once your going flat out. If they're pumped up to the right pressure, I can't see where the gains can be made between a half decent set and a top of the range set, other than grip through cornering or when accelerating from stationary starts.

Nick T | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've come to the conclusion that "tough yet sort of quick" tyres are a fallacy. For the past two years I've ridden Vittoria Corsas, open and tubular for everything from commuting to training, and suffered no more punctures than on any other tyres that compromise performance for durability. It's the worst of both worlds in my view.

YMMV, IMO, YOLO etc

Miles253 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I rode to work every day on conti 4000, pricey per tyre but fast and reliable

funkdubious | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks chaps

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

Conti GP 4Season, Schwalbe Durano (or the Plus for more protection), Michelin Pro4 Endurance are the first names that come to mind. All very good tyres, though there are others - see http://road.cc/show/review-section/tyres/10729
A tyre with a 25-28mm section will give a nicer ride than 23mm with no downsides.

MKultra | 10 years ago
0 likes

These

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vittoria-rubino-road-bike-tyre/rp-pro...

More than nippy enough but stand up well to the roads round these parts which are all liberally covered in dog muck, broken glass and dirty needles.

A big thank you to the council for that by the way, I am so happy you paid a so called consultant 400 grand last year for doing nothing rather than paying 20 honest people to clean the roads for a year.

Scoob_84 replied to MKultra | 10 years ago
0 likes
MKultra wrote:

These

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vittoria-rubino-road-bike-tyre/rp-pro...

More than nippy enough but stand up well to the roads round these parts which are all liberally covered in dog muck, broken glass and dirty needles.

A big thank you to the council for that by the way, I am so happy you paid a so called consultant 400 grand last year for doing nothing rather than paying 20 honest people to clean the roads for a year.

Bought a pair of these for £30 the other day and happy with them so far.

Latest Comments