Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

ARGH.... Rapha

By now, you ALL know my distain for the brand of Rapha.

Well it seems that I may not be on my own for very long. I got an email a couple of days with some unofficial news about a new Rapha jersey, from a "mate" who loves to wind me up.

Anyway, I thought he was just taking the piss. He was telling me about this special edition Pantani jersey...

I thought to myself, they wouldn't dare....BUT, oh yes they would.

Not only would they dare to use Pantani as a cash cow with a jersey, they have also helped make a film about him "The accidental death of a cyclist"

http://youtu.be/xfN3uxk-vRs

Quote:

April will see the official release of The Accidental Death of a Cyclist, a feature-length documentary telling the story of Pantani's dramatic rise and fall. Rapha will be commemorating the life and career of Il Pirata with a special edition Jersey due to be released in April.

This has got me REELING....What are they playing at? He died before Rapha was even around. They had nothing to do with him in his cyclist career....

Rapha are just cashing in on his life, our memories of him and his legacy.

I will stop now, because I will get into some unfriendly language. I know alot of you like/love Rapha, I'd love to know what you think of this disgusting move?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

67 comments

Shamblesuk | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'd rather see a rider head to toe in matching, stylish Rapha than groaning away in OPQ full kit pretending to be Cav.

Cyclist replied to Nick T | 10 years ago
0 likes
Nick T wrote:

I mainly wear Rapha so that the self styled "proper" cyclists I overtake get hit with a double whammy of shame for being scalped by a fashion victim with better legs.

24  24 Ditto.

Did I mention I have just arrived home in my new AMDB9 so I can wear a tuxedo and sing a theme tune in my head, but I have found that my Rapha merino boxers are very comfortable underneath the tux, less chaffing compared to the Armani's or Gucci boxers I own, better value too at 35 quid a pair, especially as I only wear them once and then donate them to endura kit wearers as I feel they need them.  35

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

£140 for mitts feels rather disproportionate even if we don't know the manufacturing costs. The 'aspirational' mark up is what sticks in peoples throats. Castelli and Assos are expensive but don't get this hassle. It is just the marketing, exclusive sounds like exclusion to a lot of people.

RoboRider21 | 10 years ago
0 likes

No matter how much I admire their marketing and brand presence I just cant justify paying their prices on anything. That is all.

Scoob_84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Has anyone else been eyeing up the Rapha Chris King Espresso Tamper??

That looks like a sturdy piece of kit that.

Nick T | 10 years ago
0 likes

My coffee machine uses 1" standard cups so no chance for me.

bfslxo replied to Colin Peyresourde | 10 years ago
0 likes
Colin Peyresourde wrote:

There's a part of me that was spell bound and fascinated at it as a feat, but in the same way that I was spell bound by Lola Ferrari's monumental tits. It was amazing to see, but also appalling because of the artifice. It wasn't real..

I do miss her  3

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, Jan Ullrich, ripped to the tits, boshing pills in a club.

If Rapha can get the spirit of that on a retro-wannabe jersey I'll tear your arm off for it.

You wanna check out Milltag jerseys... maybe this one? http://milltag.cc/shop/jerseys/dope

Grizzerly | 10 years ago
0 likes

I rather think that if people believe what they wear to ride a bike is more important than riding their bike, then they're missing the point. When cycling ceases to be trendy, they will forget about it and Rapha will go bankrupt.

ajmarshal1 replied to Nick T | 10 years ago
0 likes
Nick T wrote:

I mainly wear Rapha so that the self styled "proper" cyclists I overtake get hit with a double whammy of shame for being scalped by a fashion victim with better legs.

Same, mine will soon be a quadruple whammy of style, speed, wonderful calf structure and; once I build my Colnago M10 up, spectacular steed. Then, clad in their ugly, ill fitting DHB cack, they'll mutter that it's made in the Giant factory and harumph to themselves that their TCR composite is the same bike.

I don't drink, therefore whilst some people spend hundreds of pounds on booze I spend my free money on nice bike things without caring what others think. It's great.

S13SFC | 10 years ago
0 likes

Anyone that thinks what they wear is more important than why they ride is an utter moron.

ajmarshal1 replied to S13SFC | 10 years ago
0 likes
S13SFC wrote:

Anyone that thinks what they wear is more important than why they ride is an utter moron.

I'd also add that any person who thinks what someone else wears is more important than why they ride is an even bigger moron.

Nick T | 10 years ago
0 likes

I wonder if this thread answered any of Gkam's questions or had the desired effect intended.

drfabulous0 replied to ajmarshal1 | 10 years ago
0 likes
ajmarshal1 wrote:

I don't drink,

Lost me there I'm afraid.

Northernbike replied to ajmarshal1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

It does seem that some of the folks who are so opposed to people wearing Rapha kit are a lot more obsessed and concerned about cycling fashion than the Rapha folks who they accuse of being being obsessed and concerned about fashion. Maybe the anti Raphas need to take a step back, listen to themselves, and learn to spell disdain with a d and not a t before they start coming on all superior, or perhaps find a new target for their ire and hang around pubs on a saturday night chastising people for wearing brands of non-sporting clothes they don't approve of.

ajmarshal1 replied to drfabulous0 | 10 years ago
0 likes
drfabulous0 wrote:
ajmarshal1 wrote:

I don't drink,

Lost me there I'm afraid.

Point being, I know people who happily spend hundreds of pounds a month on drink. I don't and choose to spend my money on cycling stuff. That's my hobby.

I'll happily spend £150 on Rapha brevet jersey which will last me years, I find this far less strange or wasteful than someone blowing the same amount for no return on a few nights down the boozer.

That said, I don't judge people who spend their money that way, which is why I find it puzzling that others are quick to judge and get a little angry about premium brands like Rapha. Some spend huge monthly payments on flash cars, others will settle for a 20 year old three door Corsa. Some find a weekend in a tent up Scafell enough for their annual get away, others on three 5 star beach holidays a year. Some people like premium brands of jeans and will spend £180 for one pair, others will accept some George at Asda action.

Spend your money on what you want, just piss off* with telling others how to spend theirs and judging them for doing so.

*Not aimed at you, but those who windmill into every single Rapha & high end bike thread.

Bella In Sella | 10 years ago
0 likes

Back to the original post. Yep, I'm very much looking forward to the film, I bet it's a fascinating watch.

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

The film's made by the same people who made Senna, so it ought to be good.

As for why Pantani's lauded more than so many other dopers - he died young and tragically, he was a fascinating character on and off the bike, and he exhibited panache and vulnerability in equal measure. Yes, he and his fellow members of the peloton at the time were doped up to the eyeballs, but damn could they ride bikes. Fuck it, it was awesome at the time.

And as for the Rapha question - shove your inverted snobbery up your arse. They make great kit, if you don't want to buy it, don't.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Wow, I hadn't even been keeping track of replies. Seems some mixed opinions. Nice to have a wee debate on the forum now and again without it getting all nasty  8

Bashthebox has got it spot on there, they could all ride bikes and it was awesome.

I wish those days were back, I shy away from watching cycling, because its become a little stale and boring. There is no-one that is very exciting to keep my interest alive. Voigt, but he's to old to be going mental every stage.

Sagan could come through and do it, but I think he is going to stick more to the classics/sprinting.

Leviathan replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

I wish those days were back, I shy away from watching cycling, because its become a little stale and boring.

Yeah, its like the modern riders don't have the same explosive energy anymore. They obviously are not as fit as the guys 10-15 years ago. Look at how skinny they are now compared to the muscles on Lance and Jan, now they were REAL climbers; they could just ride away from tiny Columbians. No tactics, nutrition or new technologies, just head to head brute force mountain climbing. Ahh dopstalgia.

Nick T | 10 years ago
0 likes

You can't deny that freak shows are entertaining, whether you're aware you're being hoodwinked or not.

Gkam84 replied to Nick T | 10 years ago
0 likes
Nick T wrote:

You can't deny that freak shows are entertaining, whether you're aware you're being hoodwinked or not.

Much like WWF as a child, but alas, you grow out of it.

Now, UFC is where it's at. That is real....we need some of the in cycling.....ok, I know that is not a real possibility.

But we need passion and drive is cycling. To me, it seems many are just going through the motions. Yes they have worked hard and are the best cyclists out there, they need to show it though

S13SFC replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:
Nick T wrote:

Now, UFC is where it's at. That is real....we need some of the in cycling.....ok, I know that is not a real possibility.

But we need passion and drive is cycling. To me, it seems many are just going through the motions. Yes they have worked hard and are the best cyclists out there, they need to show it though

So you hark back to the days of blatant cheating with misty eyes and wonder why it can't be like that now but have an issue with a clothing company.

That's totally normal. No really, it is, honest.

Nick T | 10 years ago
0 likes

That's just what stage races are about, you need to keep one eye on tomorrow's stage rather than aim for a knockout in the first round. That's probably why your man Sagan is more interested in the Classics.

crazy-legs | 10 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

I wish those days were back, I shy away from watching cycling, because its become a little stale and boring. There is no-one that is very exciting to keep my interest alive.

It's the same as F1; flair and panache and suicide attacking doesn't win races when everyone else is looking at a power meter and a heart rate monitor.

15 years ago, the "science" in bike racing was all about who had the best drugs. Now it's aerodynamics and nutrition and power. You've got to decide which you want - the entertaining drug fuelled spectacle of the past or the scientific fractions-of-a-second approach now.

Although we've gone a bit off topic of where Rapha fits in to that - personally I can't really find much to dislike about a successful British company that's done so much to support cycling over the last 10 years. Sponsored the best UK domestic team (Rapha-Condor-JLT), promoted grass roots CX, hosted dozens of events, made some decent stylish cycling clothing and now sponsors one of the most famous cycling teams in the world. And I suppose courting a bit of controversy along the way in terms of commemorating Pantani is one way of getting talked about!  3

farrell replied to bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes
bashthebox wrote:

You wanna check out Milltag jerseys... maybe this one? http://milltag.cc/shop/jerseys/dope

It's alright, but I actually want Jan Ullrich gurning his balls off, swigging from a bottle of water before thumb-fingeredly screwing the cap back on and passing it back to his mate.

With his top off.

farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes
arrieredupeleton replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:
Nick T wrote:

Am I missing something here? Take just last year in isolation:

Milan/San Remo hardest and most spectacular is many a year - with an unpredicted winner.
Some imperious displays by Cancellara in the classics (we'll look back when he's retired and realise how good he really is)
Nibali in the Giro racing the weather - proper hard man.
Froome actually racing people as opposed to power and VAM calcs in Le Tour
Tony Martin's day long ITT in the Vuelta.
Adam Hansen riding all three Major Tours (yet again).

No passion and drive there...

Scoob_84 replied to farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes
farrell wrote:

Also, this: http://www.janullrich.de/

I can't tell if that's real or an elaborate pi$$ take

Cyclist replied to RoboRider21 | 10 years ago
0 likes
RoboRider21 wrote:

No matter how much I admire their marketing and brand presence I just cant justify paying their prices on anything. That is all.

And that's as it should be... Each to their own.
@original poster.
The only person it bothers if Rapha kit winds you up, is you... I couldn't care less, I am just enjoying the ride...

Pages

Latest Comments