Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

complaining about ads

following on from the niceway code fiasco, I thought I would post an email I got from the ASA

Your complaint about Volkswagen Group UK Ltd (Skoda)

Thank you for contacting the Advertising Standards Authority with your concerns about a recent TV ad for Skoda.

We have assessed the ad in light of your complaint but don’t consider there to be a case to answer under the UK Code of Broadcast Advertising (BCAP) on this occasion. While I understand your concerns that you feel this ad shows dangerous driving and anti-social behaviour, we note that the ad is presented in a stylised, fantastical manner and that many of the scenes are shown in slow-motion, including the scenes of the man looking out the window as he’s driving and also when he drives through the puddle. We note that the character doesn’t appear to be driving at excessive speeds and remains in control of the car at all times. Given the context of the ad, we consider viewers are likely to understand that these scenes are exaggerated in an attempt to convey the features of the product being advertised and consider it unlikely to encourage or condone dangerous, competitive, inconsiderate or irresponsible driving for the reasons suggested.

I appreciate that this may not be the outcome you were hoping for and although we won’t be taking any further action at this time, I would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us with your concerns.

Kind regards

Alison

So as long as it is make believe it is ok then?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments