Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

50mm aero wheels - advice appreciated

Hi all, this is my first post having been a long-time browser.

I've got a budget of £850 ish for a pair of 50mm aero carbon clincher wheel with alu braking surface. To be used for racing in sprint / olympic distances and 1 half IM triathlon this summer, plus training (fair-weather only!) I'm looking at:
* Fulcrum Red Wind 50 1755g @ £850 ish
* Mavic Cosmic Carbon SL 1595g also @ £850 ish
* Wheelsmith RACE50 1565g @ £710

On the stats alone, Wheelsmith wins, they also seem highly recommended. Too good to be true?

Have read reviews on the first two, but any useful feedback appreciated

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

34 comments

Valleys cyclist | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just to throw a slightly different slant on this, I am interested to know why you consider spending so much money on a set of wheels as your answer to making you a faster rider? I am assuming your true current FTP (Functional Threshold Power) is in excess of 3.5 Watts per kg and you are able to ride at a faster enough average speed to make the "aero" difference have an impact? If not then please look at your training first rather than end up very disappointed at spending so much money, only to find it makes you no faster.

Very best of luck.

oozaveared replied to Valleys cyclist | 10 years ago
0 likes
Valleys cyclist wrote:

Just to throw a slightly different slant on this, I am interested to know why you consider spending so much money on a set of wheels as your answer to making you a faster rider? I am assuming your true current FTP (Functional Threshold Power) is in excess of 3.5 Watts per kg and you are able to ride at a faster enough average speed to make the "aero" difference have an impact? If not then please look at your training first rather than end up very disappointed at spending so much money, only to find it makes you no faster.
Very best of luck.

Cos he wants some aero wheels. Blimey the whole cycle and component manufacturing industry would be straight out of business if we all had to justify our nice kit in those terms.

If he thinks they'll make him go faster and he can afford them then that's up to him. At least it's one less excuse to be slow.

jollygoodvelo replied to oozaveared | 10 years ago
0 likes
oozaveared wrote:
Valleys cyclist wrote:

Very best of luck.

Cos he wants some aero wheels. Blimey the whole cycle and component manufacturing industry would be straight out of business if we all had to justify our nice kit in those terms.

If he thinks they'll make him go faster and he can afford them then that's up to him. At least it's one less excuse to be slow.

Damn right. As I've posted before, if I win the lottery I'm going to go out and buy a Cannondale Evo Nano and some Zipp 404s. I'll be the most overbiked person in history, but I'll be the overbiked person with a £10k bike in my living room that I can sit and stare at and I won't care what anyone thinks.

oozaveared | 10 years ago
0 likes

My son has the Wheelsmiths. Derek McLay is a nice man to do business with. The others don't guarantee spokes for life or replace damaged components at cost. They are cheaper, lighter, stronger and better. You'll be up around £1100 before you get the quality they offer and then they may still not be handbuilt by someone with Derek's experience.

Why would you buy a suit from Next when you could have a handmade Saville Row made to measure one for £140 quid less.

No brainer

Pages

Latest Comments