Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Should good cyclists do more to stop bad cyclists

I'm a regular cycle commuter in London and like everyone else, I witness bad, inconsiderate and sometimes dangerous cycling of others on a regular basis. Typical examples such as cycling through red lights, dangerous manoeuvres, not generally looking before turning and cycling fast down pedestrianised areas. I'm talking about 5% of cyclists here who out and out think they're above the rules of the road or just don't care for them, not the other 95% who cycle respectfully with due care and attention like i imagine probably most people who venture on this website do.

As we all know, rightly or wrongly the 5% fuel the negative and misconstrued views towards cycling .

Is it time the responsible cyclists stood up to the bad cyclists? Actually tell them what they're doing is detrimental for the rest of us. I know its not our responsibility to do this, but i see these morons flying through red lights and pedestrian crossings and get away with it. Maybe if the other cyclists who witness this actually tell them its not cool or call them a "red light dodging w******r" then maybe some of them would stop and help pave way for better cycling/car relations.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

65 comments

Stumps replied to northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes
northstar wrote:

'you f*****g motorists are all the same, you think the law doesn't apply to you'.

Well said, although i dont know how well it would go down  4

northstar replied to Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Like a lead balloon I suspect : D (from previous experience too)

arfa | 10 years ago
0 likes

my usual response to the "you f'ing cyclists" is to point to the nearest car and ask if the abuser knows him. usual response runs along the lines of "course I f'n don't" which invites the response as to why the f@*k do you think I know the offending cyclist ?
Trouble is though, it is an uphill battle educating the ignorant, especially when they take pride in it....

surly_by_name | 10 years ago
0 likes

Who the hell are you (am  28 to decide who/what is "good" and "bad"?

Scoob_84 replied to surly_by_name | 10 years ago
0 likes
surly_by_name wrote:

Who the hell are you (am  28 to decide who/what is "good" and "bad"?

The reason I said 5% of bad cyclists in the original post was to remove any ambiguity over whether the cyclists actions we talking about here were bad (as in its blatantly bloody obvious to all) or just a minor blip or lapse of concentration by an otherwise good cyclist.

For the record, i don't go round abusing cyclists in case this all reads like that. I started this thread because I've witnessed terrible cycling on numerous occasions and have done nothing about it.

Pages

Latest Comments