Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New wheels, custom build

For a few reasons I'm looking at some new wheels, aero, clincher with CK hubs. Anyone recommend a builder or a solid combination I should look at?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Spud | 10 years ago
0 likes

Cheers All, top end budget c£1k. Ideally CK hubs, clincher rims. Currently running RS80 factory wheels and want something nice to last and go forward onto a custom bike build this summer for my 40th. JRA aren't too far away from me, so may go there first. Rims are the puzzling thing, the RS80s are 20.8mm wide and I can run 25mm GP4000s on them no worries, so something that will give me the same would be good.

movingtarget | 10 years ago
0 likes

Potholes can take out the best made rims and contribute to spoke breakage. Just sayin'.

Nick T | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've never seen much value in those lifetime truing policies, if the wheel is made well then it shouldn't be going out of true and the rims will wear out long before the spokes ever will.

movingtarget | 10 years ago
0 likes

Another perk of having your wheelset made locally is a lot of shops offer lifetime truing +/- spoke replacement. Planning to have my LBS make me a set of HED C2 rims with CK hubs (once I can convince the husband that I really *need* a wheelset upgrade  3 ) and the price with the higher end hubs will cost about the same as stock HED Ardennes FR clinchers with only 1-2 days turn around time including lifetime truing & spoke repair. I'm in the US so can't recommend a local wheel builder though.

Flying Scot | 10 years ago
0 likes

Where are you based?

Popping in, having a chat and a look at the options make the most out of a bespoke build.

I use Wheelcraft, but they're local to me, everyone within 200 miles seems to use them or Wheelsmith.

ajmarshal1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Justridingalong.com Know a few people who have bought from them and have very, very good things to say. Nice online builder tool to play around with too.

Metjas | 10 years ago
0 likes

budget?

SamShaw | 10 years ago
0 likes

Plus 1 for Wheelsmith.

Cyclosis | 10 years ago
0 likes

I would recommend Wheelsmith.

http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/

Check out his Race50s.

Latest Comments