Lezyne micro drive rear

by rabeynon   February 8, 2014  

Hello,

I've been having some trouble with my lezyne micro drive rear light. When using in the wet, water seems to get in through the end cap and damage the circuit inside meaning I can't turn it off, and then when it runs out if battery and I recharge it, can't turn it on

I had this problem with these lights before, returned them and got a replacement as I assumed it was a one off, but now it's happened again I'm thinking it's an underlying fault.

Anyone else experienced anything similar?

10 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Count yourself lucky. A combination of wet weather, grime and London's bumpy roads meant mine fell off on a commute home, never to be seen again.

posted by bashthebox [599 posts]
8th February 2014 - 19:36

like this
Like (91)

Pretty sure it'll have been user error rather than any of those factors. Those things do not budge if you click them in properly.

posted by andyp [791 posts]
8th February 2014 - 20:50

like this
Like (92)

Took the cap off mine last Saturday and it started to release sparks, then a filthy chemical smoke.

Proceeded to get very, very hot. So hot in fact, that I dropped it. Put it outside to cool down overnight, and unsurprisingly, didn't light up in the morning.

Returned to the retailer, and waiting for a warranty replacement.

Had, however, been impressed with battery life (lasted on hi flash mode for an 8 hour ride), durability and water resistance. Oh, and it's bloody bright as well.

Only annoying thing is the propensity for the mount to fill up with road silt and grime, which is difficult to clean out for someone like me, who's definition of a bike clean extends no further than a quick hose and wipe.

Apparently, sliding an oyster card between the battery and end cap disconnects the circuit and resets it. I didn't (couldn't) try this on my failed model, but might suggest that you try something similar.

Sir Velo

Raleigh's picture

posted by Raleigh [1728 posts]
9th February 2014 - 23:54

like this
Like (90)

My Zecto suffered the same fate. I've sent it back once for a replacement, but won't bother again. One bit of rain and it became toast...

posted by Tilesey [9 posts]
11th February 2014 - 7:16

like this
Like (87)

Mine's absolutely fine. It's been soaked numerous time and there isn't even a sign of water ingress. I just make sure the cap is screwed on all the way after each charge.

posted by redmeat [57 posts]
11th February 2014 - 8:57

like this
Like (87)

redmeat wrote:
Mine's absolutely fine. It's been soaked numerous time and there isn't even a sign of water ingress. I just make sure the cap is screwed on all the way after each charge.

+1.

Mine's the newer version with the revised seat post mount too, so no concerns whatsoever about it popping it on the commute home.

posted by parksey [173 posts]
11th February 2014 - 9:34

like this
Like (87)

Raleigh wrote:

Apparently, sliding an oyster card between the battery and end cap disconnects the circuit and resets it. I didn't (couldn't) try this on my failed model, but might suggest that you try something similar.

as in just above the usb charger port?
and will any card with a magnetic strip work?

cheers

posted by rabeynon [25 posts]
14th February 2014 - 13:08

like this
Like (66)

i have had one for about 1 and a half years which is a long time in my opinion for a bike light but it packed up a week ago. it just wont turn on no matter how long that you charge it.

posted by markwill [18 posts]
19th February 2014 - 0:52

like this
Like (42)

I had one of these before it fell off

posted by tombourne [15 posts]
19th February 2014 - 17:30

like this
Like (37)

rabeynon wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

as in just above the usb charger port?
and will any card with a magnetic strip work?

cheers

If you look, you can actually see the battery just above the threads for the cap.

Slide anything in to break the circuit, oyster card works well.

Wouldn't want to short it so probably nothing with a magnetic strip. (Oyster cards just have a thin wire within the card... no mag strip).

Sir Velo

Raleigh's picture

posted by Raleigh [1728 posts]
20th February 2014 - 10:13

like this
Like (32)