Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cancellara to take on the Hour

Cycling News are reporting that Spartacus fancies having a go at the 'Hour'. That could be something special if it comes off watching him rip through the field at the Worlds imagine him on the track at full pelt for an hour, what would he do distance wise 50km without question.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

manonabike | 14 years ago
0 likes

That would be a real treat to watch

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

The cost was pretty prohibitive for him I think, an hours test on the track was over £250, and as he said, Chris Boardman had about a fortnight of track time to prepare for his record.

That is way beyond what your average guy can raise, he really needed support from a corporate source, but he's a cyclist, not a fund-raiser.

He is a legend though, and one of the greats of cycling. He's a really nice bloke too.

Blackhound | 14 years ago
0 likes

I was hoping Obree would give it a good go, would like to have gone and cheered him on. A pity he can't raise the funds (don't know how much he would need) but would have thought there was a number of cyclists willing to put there hand in there pocket to see a man suffer!

The peoples champion or something....

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

Agreed DaSy. Would be interesting to see what fabian can do though.

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

It would be nice to see someone take the record from Sosenka, his doping record leaves a bit of a bitter taste, and taints the legend that is The Hour.

I'm really sorry to hear that Graeme Obree isn't going to attempt it again, he sacrificed a nice purple suede jacket for his new bike you know...he will always be the most significant record holder for me, the talent required to be able to do that with so little support is amazing.

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

I'd like to see him have a go at the Best Human Effort record - the one Chris Boardman holds, be interesting to see how much difference the latest generation of aero equipment would make - especially if he is allowed to combine that with the superman position too.

Latest Comments