Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Ride London 100 (2014) - Accommodation

Hello, I'm sure this has been asked before but as a non-Londoner that has managed to get into the Ride London 100 event this summer I am having trouble finding any authentic "cycle-friendly" accommodation in the city. I am not looking for anything in the middle specifically, and I have seen that a lot of that has been taken already. Unfortunately and surprisingly for such a big event the only accommodation information that is given by the official website takes you to the visitlondon.com website. And from there the website's ride London area (http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/event/32391892-prudential-ridelo...) directs you back to the official website!  7

So, I was wondering if anyone had any good experiences with staying in London for last year's event or if there was any websites that someone might know that could be useful to me and people in a similar position this year... Any sugestions, tips or pointers would be gratefully received.  1

Thanks,

Derek

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

Beefy | 10 years ago
0 likes

Why can't there be a large camping area for competitors? There could be secure bike storage and a festival atmosphere or have I missed it and there already is? Yet again no place for me at Ride London is there a secret formular to get a place?

Flying Scot | 10 years ago
0 likes

I was thinking that if I got a start ( I didn't ) that I would be looking at an extra 20 miles to get from digs to start/ finish. Need to factor that in I suppose!

allezrider | 10 years ago
0 likes

BIkes can also be taken on 'surface level' underground trains - District, Metropolitan, Circle and Hammersmith & City lines. Others will take bikes where trains run at surface level e.g Central line east of Liverpool St.

mickcee | 10 years ago
0 likes

Travelodge Bethnal Green for me, says its 20 mins from Olympic park on bike and was dirt cheap at the time. A walk from Shoreditch on an evening for some Pasta

My problem is getting my bike accross London on the Saturday when i come in from Kings Cross from Newcastle???

jollygoodvelo replied to mickcee | 10 years ago
0 likes
mickcee wrote:

Travelodge Bethnal Green for me, says its 20 mins from Olympic park on bike and was dirt cheap at the time. A walk from Shoreditch on an evening for some Pasta

My problem is getting my bike accross London on the Saturday when i come in from Kings Cross from Newcastle???

KX to Bethnal Green is 15 minutes ride, tops.

spin sugar replied to mickcee | 10 years ago
0 likes

Depending on whereabouts exactly in Bethnal Green that is it should only be about 4 miles from Kings X so if you can otherwise travel light you can probably do the journey without public transport. If you'll have too much stuff with you you might be able to get a cabbie to take you on (I've managed this before, they're not all bad guys).

General comment for non-Londoners when it comes to transport: DLR and London Overground take bikes now (shouldn't be any restrictions on the weekends but watch out for engineering works on the London Overground which are frequent on weekends). Buses don't take bikes.

Nick T | 10 years ago
0 likes

There's no congestion charge on a Sunday buddy.

S13SFC replied to Nick T | 10 years ago
0 likes
Nick T wrote:

There's no congestion charge on a Sunday buddy.

Didn't know that. Thanks very much for the info.

S13SFC | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm booked into the Stratford Travelodge whilst others I know are booked at India Dock.

Those I know who rode last year had their bikes in their rooms.

My Mrs is booking car parking around central London, outside the congestion charge zone, to meet me afterwards so save the spin back out to the east.

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

Try air b'n'b maybe too?
You don't need to be right on top of the start line with your accom either. There's very little traffic in London at 5am on a sunday...! Most of the cars on the roads were the ones dropping off other cyclists last year. I live about 6 or 7 miles from Stratford, and it was a very easy ride in. They even closed one of the dartford tunnels to traffic in order to allow bikes through safely (and yes, this berk did create a strava segment for it. The once a year make it count segment of joy!).

Al__S | 10 years ago
0 likes

car parks like this are the answer. Since last July you've been allowed to take bikes on the DLR- this was useful after the ride as it was a short and relatively easy ride to Tower Hill.

Fizzing Foxes R... | 10 years ago
0 likes

I am also looking to book having got through the ballot. How are you getting to london? Most hotels I can find don't have a car park, where are people planning on parking?  7

sagesolar replied to Fizzing Foxes Rockets | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hello, the Beckton premier inn has a car park. I am luckily being dropped off and picked up, although I am yet unsure as to how I am getting back. There is long stay parking at the Excel too I believe.

sagesolar | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks everyone I appreciate your comments... I have now booked a room at the premier inn in Beckton (the Stratford one is already booked up!)... should be a nice warm up ride from there to the Olympic Park, and the Excel is just round the corner for registration the previous day  1

Al__S | 10 years ago
0 likes

I used the Ibis at Excel last year; it was clear all the hotels in the area were full of cyclists with bikes in their rooms.

After all, you'll be turning up with a bike that's as clean as it could possibly be, yes?

spin sugar | 10 years ago
0 likes

Congratulations on getting a place! I second trying to book somewhere close to the start. Whatever "wave" you are in it'll be an early start so the closer you are the more sleep you'll get and getting there is complicated by the road closures and the fact that you might need to arrive before the trains that do let you carry on bikes are running. Stratford has a number of Holiday Inn type hotels now which will do the job and won't mind the bike. Book as soon as you can, I'm sure they'll get booked up quickly now.

Might be a bit tricky making your way back but if everything goes well you'll feel the euphoria of it all and won't care  36

Chuck | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've had no problems keeping my bike in hotel rooms (including Premier Inn). I do have a sort of half-bag though that comes up over the wheels and drivetrain to keep people happy.

southseabythesea | 10 years ago
0 likes

Premier Inn are OK with bikes in room, I asked when I booked.

andycoventry | 10 years ago
0 likes

If I was you I would just try and get into a premier inn / travelodge etc in Stratford - its close to the start and will get booked up very soon.

Bringing a bike wasn't a problem last year apparently.

Maggers replied to andycoventry | 10 years ago
0 likes

depending on what elvel of accom you're looking for I'd try couch surfing or gum tree. A quick check has thrown up this:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-houses/cheap-5night-double-room-in-stratf...

Latest Comments