Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Beginner's advice on pedals & shoes?

Ok, so in a blatant show of my complete lack of road cycling knowledge, I'm after advice please on the subject of road bike pedals and shoes.

Having had my road bike for a couple of months now, I feel sufficiently confident on it to be thinking about upgrading from the toe clips that came with it.

However, I literally have no idea where to start...

I'm broadly aware that there are different types of pedal system out there, but quite how they differ (or put another way, which one is better), I don't know.

What are people's thoughts on this?

I don't spend hours on the bike or ride competitively, so I'm not looking for the lightest, stiffest, high-end stuff, just some serviceable kit to help me do some reasonable weekend mileage.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

100 comments

VeloPeo replied to matthewn5 | 10 years ago
0 likes
drmatthewhardy wrote:

Shimano RT82 shoes take SPD cleats and look like a road shoe, so you won't attract comments from the roadies and the Rules...

Having wide feet I find Shimano cripple me on longer rides. Specialized are the ones to go for if you're slightly wider of foot - their lower end road shoes also have fittings for both 2 hole (SPD style) and 3 hole (roadie style) cleats

parksey | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm liking the look of those A600 pedals, not least because they can actually be had for around the £50 mark, being what I broadly had in mind to pay for a reasonable set of first clipless pedals. That said, the A520 ones for half the price do look like an absolute bargain.

As I've been riding with toe-clips for a couple of months, I have already developed a knack for flicking the unclipped pedal round when setting off, so I wonder whether a single-sided pedal will be such an issue?

I guess it brings the discussion round to shoes...

I have to admit that I do prefer the trainer-like style of the MTB-oriented shoes over the more football-boot aesthetic of proper road shoes, these recently-reviewed ones on here seem decent.

http://road.cc/content/review/100233-bontrager-evoke-mountain-shoe

parksey replied to Jack Osbourne snr | 10 years ago
0 likes
Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

(The reality though is that I'm the cycling version of Imelda Marcos)

I do like this!

Chuck | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've got SPD-SLs on my road bike at the moment, but if I were buying again now I'd probably go for SPDs instead.
If I'm honest I probably went for SLs because of some vague 'it's the rules' roadie thing. I think for most people the actual performance difference when you're in the saddle is basically zero, and SPDs are better in pretty much every other respect.
I won't be binning my SLs anytime soon, but I were starting from scratch that's the route I'd go. And I wouldn't even consider commuting on SLs.

gdmor10 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I ride SPD SLs on my road bike and SPDs on my winter/commuter hydrid but I can remember using double toe straps and leather boots with a slot in the cleat

Agree with the comments on SPDs, if you are riding in traffic then they are safer, easier to get in and out of with minimal loss of benefit. Certainly the best starting point then change later once more confident.

Remember, everyone falls off at least once when they start to use them, the key is to anticipate and clip out a bit earlier than you think. SPDs make that easier

Shades | 10 years ago
0 likes

I run SPDs (+ compatible Shimano shoes) on my road bike and agree with all the SPD comments above. I use SPDs on my MTB, Hybrid (combo pedals) and thought I needed road cleats when I got my road bike. LBS advised SPDs and I've been 100% happy. Borrowed a bike/shoes a while back with road cleats and walking around on them off the bike was a nightmare.

allez neg | 10 years ago
0 likes

One thing to consider is the construction of the shoes too - I have a pair of old Shimano leisure mtb shoes and while they look quite conventional they weigh a ton and are both porous and absorbent, so overall they're a bit shit, really.

I also have some Specialized mtb ones that look a lot like road shoes with velcro fastening. They're significantly lighter, cooler in the summer and dry out a hell of a lot quicker. Much better.

parksey replied to Chuck | 10 years ago
0 likes
Chuck wrote:

If I'm honest I probably went for SLs because of some vague 'it's the rules' roadie thing.

This does play on my mind a little, but then I try not to be "that" sort of cyclist and the overwhelming consensus on here seems to be that regular SPDs are absolutely fine anyway.

My thinking is that I see how I get on with SPDs, and if my riding changes to such an extent that I feel an upgrade to SLs to be necessary, I can change them then. From what a lot of people have said on here though, that need may never arise.

Simon E replied to Chuck | 10 years ago
0 likes
Chuck wrote:

If I'm honest I probably went for SLs because of some vague 'it's the rules' roadie thing.

Which is why I automatically consider anyone who cites this kind of made-up 'rule' as an ignorant fool whose opinion is worthless.

Chuck replied to Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Which is why I automatically consider anyone who cites this kind of made-up 'rule' as an ignorant fool whose opinion is worthless.

If I'm reading you right here then you won't mind if I leap to my own conclusions about you and your opinions.

andycoventry | 10 years ago
0 likes

I sometimes use the spin bike in the gym which are fitted with SPD, and this is the only time I have ever used them.

To me compared with speedplays (or SPD SL) they seem a little loose for me, there isnt any vertical or horizontal movement but there is a slight rotational change you dont get with speedplays. Not rotational in term of float, to explain it, if you twist towards the outside of the foot then the inside there is some movement from the cleat.

That being said it might be because the gym pedals are used and abused?.....

djpalmer32 | 10 years ago
0 likes

My first foray in to clipless was using Shimano's M545 SPD's, which I believe are now branded as Click-R, on my MTB. When I started using a road bike more I use the M540 even on my new Specialized Secteur. I've only ever used one pair of Shimano MT42 MTB shoes mainly as I can't afford a pair of road shoes.

One piece of advice that I'm looking for is at such time I can afford a pair of road shoes can anyone recommend a make that is generous in its widths, as I have quite wide feet.

Simon E replied to Chuck | 10 years ago
0 likes
Chuck wrote:
Simon E wrote:
Chuck wrote:

If I'm reading you right here then you won't mind if I leap to my own conclusions about you and your opinions.

You're welcome. I'm flattered by the attention  3

My issue is with the clown who felt the need to impart this sage advice with such certainty. We all have been 'advised' by someone who claims to know what they're talking about but is in fact talking cr@p. Personally I don't enjoy the discovery.

movingtarget replied to djpalmer32 | 10 years ago
0 likes
djpalmer32 wrote:

One piece of advice that I'm looking for is at such time I can afford a pair of road shoes can anyone recommend a make that is generous in its widths, as I have quite wide feet.

Sidi makes what they call a Mega model for their road and MTB shoes which have a wider shoe last with a bigger heel cup. It will also accommodate a high arch for people who have a non-wide foot but need more vertical shoe space. I have their Dominator (in the regular last) which is made for CX and MTB but is really popular with commuters and recreational riders esp here in Portland where the streets are so mucky. They do induce some sticker shock but I've had the same pair for 5 years and aside for some minor scuffs look and feel great. You can also replace the calipers and ratchets as well as the sole if/when if wears down so you can get a lot of use for your investment. If you've got the time and are willing to get a previous season model you can get them for 20-25% off RRP. My friends who race and do tri like the Genius road shoe line. Very light with a stiff sole for more efficient force transfer.

Nat Jas Moe | 10 years ago
0 likes

I use crank brothers eggbeaters 4 points of entry and previous to that I used their candy pedals as they were my first clipless and I felt that they offered me some reassurance with a standard if small pedal, a psychological thing. Walking isn't a problem with a mtb shoe as the cleat is well out the way, so no duck walking or perilous slips.

mikelowndes | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm pleasantly surprised that the vast majority of commenters have come down on the SPD side. When I restarted my cycling about 3 years ago, club riders were pretty much all using look/keo. I notice a lot more people on spds on club rides now. As many other have said you only really need to consider 'road' pedals if you want to race at the higher levels. If you want to be an SPD weight weenie, then Xpedio do some very light one sided SPD pedals.
It has to be said that some people move to the larger platforms if they find that spds create pain 'hotspots' on their feet but that's never happened to me. If you want to 'look' pro (you are likely to end up looking Fred) or copy the pros then Speedplay are indeed 'where it's at'.
Finally, shoes. For very good value beginners shoes try Pearl Izumi all road. You may find them for around 35 quid. They don't have the technical fastenings but we are not about marginal gains here! They last well.
I gained far more from a proper bike fit than all the gear changes, including insoles to correct pedalling motion.

VeloPeo | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just another random thought, Specialized do insoles with high and medium foot arches. Will fit most makes of shoe - and make a big difference in comfort to those of you who don't have flat feet.

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/search?query=bg+footbed&pg_start=0&fq=&pg_ro...

suebee replied to parksey | 10 years ago
0 likes

I use the Shimano A530s with SPDs: it's a 'half and half' pedal suitable for road, MTB and everyday shoes. It's clunkier and likely heavier than the A520 but great if you use the bike around town as well as for longer training rides. I've had no problem with the 'single-side' access to the clips...

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yep, spd's a perfectly good solution for the OP.
Spd sl's have less 'walkability' but I disagree that they're only for racers/pro's as some have said.. With SL's there's more options for float (zero to 9 degrees), and a wider platform, which when combined with maximum release tension I really like as you feel very connected to the bike and transfer of power feels better, esp when standing on the pedals

But each to his own, and I wouldnt make a judgement about someone whether they're in all the top end gear, just as I wouldn't judge them for using standard spd's.

SounDaz_7 | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1 for SPD's

I started out with SPD-SL's about 3 years ago, got on fine with them. Tried SPD's last year and there's been no looking back. Comfy to ride and walk in. Oh and the cleats will definitely last longer.

Critchio | 10 years ago
0 likes

Clip in pedals are not for everyone, mind. I have used every type of pedal clip-in system there is and truly believe cleats have fecked up my left knee, the right one not so bad but far from perfect. All down to prolonged clipping in use over the last 5 years. I never had them prior to that and knees were fine. I put it down to having weird limb/bone structure I guess.

You get lateral play/adjustment, your foot and can swing up and down freely but you get no tilt play, you foot is pulled flat and firmly onto the pedal and I am sure thats whats damaged my knees. You can get shims that allow the cleat to be given a couple of degrees of tilt and you can get in foot orthotics (I have them in my current shoes as prescribed by mu physio) but I reckon they provide very limited benefit.

I still ride with MTB spd's but only ever clip in now when I am sprinting against my mates for fun or going up a hill in the wet, but even then I think I dont need to. That means 90% of my ride time is unclipped and they have not affected my own performance on the bike to any noticeable margin. I have never had a foot slip off a road bike pedal whilst wearing correct shoes and going unclipped. Ive been doing this following a course of physio and exercises for the last year and my left knee is not worse and possibly slowly getting better, but I fear the damage is done. Over 25 years of serious riding my knees were fine until I got clip in pedals 5 years ago (and spent countless hours making adjustments, using shims, orthotics, etc.)

I never clip in in town traffic either, too dangerous, which also reduces clip-in time. Unless you are pro, semi-pro level and need to eek every bit of power and efficiency out of your cycling there is no need for clip in pedals in my humble opinion, despite the insane peer pressure to do so. clip-in pedals are just not a definite must-have but please yourself. Just trying to provide a balanced view. They can, in rare situations cause more harm than good, and can be bloody dangerous where there is any traffic in any kind of volume.

parksey | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all for the continued input on this topic, it really is appreciated.

Interestingly, I went into both of my LBSs today, and they both advocated Look pedals, in either the Easy or Classic forms (despite both of them also selling other brands).

When making reference to SPDs, they suggested they'd always prefer the stiffer sole and larger platform of a Look/SL type pedal/shoe setup, to avoid the possible hotspots that can arise from prolonged riding on SPDs. The walking issue was however acknowledged!

So, properly confused on the subject now... I do value the advice of the staff in both of the stores, but there is a lot of positive input for SPDs on here.

movingtarget | 10 years ago
0 likes

I had some problems with numbness/burning on here balls of my feet way back when I had these Pearl Izumi MTB shoes with an SPD platform that currently escapes me (old timer's disease). While MTB shoes that look like sneakers are stiffer than trail runners, they still have a rather flexible footbed to allow for scrambling. I switched over to Sidi's when I started using my Speedplay Frogs and while their MTB shoes aren't as stiff as their road shoes which have carbon fiber in the sole, they're still stiff enough that I can't really stand up on the ball of my foot when standing on the ground so much stiffer than the sneaker style shoes. I did initially have some numbness/burning with longer rides (70+ miles) but after adjusting my saddle a bit that pretty much disappeared. The Frogs are slightly bigger than the road pedal lollipops (ie Zero and Nanogram) ~6.5 cm squared but not that much smaller than most SPD platforms. I wonder if you could borrow a set of SPDs from a friend with similar shoe size and swap out your pedals to test it out for a week (commuting and your longer weekend rides)? Would your LBS be willing you let you do some test rides on their Look pedals for comparison? Just a thought.

Trull | 10 years ago
0 likes

I used to ride Look but found the cleats wore out when I was walking, and who doesn't want to walk to a cafe?

I bought into the SPD thing and now all 3 bikes have it, and I only need one pair of shoes.

KISS!

paulfg42 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Wish I'd started a thread like this before I bought mine. The LBS recommended spd-sl pedals so I went with that. Have never felt secure in traffic and that has affected where I'll ride.

Simon E replied to parksey | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hotspots from using SPD pedals and insufficient sole stiffness are both myths IMVHO.

The suggestion that SPD shoes lack sole stiffness mystifies me. I have inexpensive Shimano and Specialized SPD shoes as well as SPD-SL and have never found any of them flex at all.

I'd say that, after finding a shoe that is a good fit for you, cleat setup is the most important thing to get right.

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

my most comfortable ever shoes are a pair of cheap shimano SPD ones a bit like the current RT32s. I've done very long rides on them (up to 24 hours) with absolutely no problems at all. and you can walk in them. and they're only fifty quid. and they've lasted about ten years.

Shimano RT81s are a bit more, but they're also excellent

http://road.cc/content/review/16381-shimano-rt81-shoes

joemmo replied to Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

Hotspots from using SPD pedals and insufficient sole stiffness are both myths IMVHO.

The suggestion that SPD shoes lack sole stiffness mystifies me. I have inexpensive Shimano and Specialized SPD shoes as well as SPD-SL and have never found any of them flex at all.

I'd say that, after finding a shoe that is a good fit for you, cleat setup is the most important thing to get right.

agreed. I have SPDs on all my bikes and have 2 pairs of specialized shoes - one old and tatty, one with fancy carbon soles - and cleat pressure has never been an issue. I did have some more casual shimano shoes where it was but with a proper touring or MTB/CX shoe you should have no problems.

If you are concerned about fluffing the clip-in in traffic then, although they are a bit heavier, the SPD platform pedals like the M424 and M530 are nice because they help guide your foot into the clip and provide more support to pedal on if you do miss.

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

Re sole stiffness - that will depend on the individual - your size and power, specifically..

One of the advantages with SL's (for serious riding perhaps more than for commuting), is that the three bolt pattern is available on a wide range of shoes, low end to high end, and so offers good choice for the wearer. That's not a reflection of the cleat mechanism, just the market for shoes which support it..

parksey replied to 700c | 10 years ago
0 likes
700c wrote:

One of the advantages with SL's (for serious riding perhaps more than for commuting), is that the three bolt pattern is available on a wide range of shoes, low end to high end, and so offers good choice for the wearer. That's not a reflection of the cleat mechanism, just the market for shoes which support it..

That's a fair comment, but as I'm just starting out with clipless and on a reasonably low-end bike, I'm probably looking at <£100 for shoes. At that price point, two-bolt compatibility seems to be prevalent (or at least dual-compatibility), whether they're road, touring or MTB shoes.

My thinking at this stage is still with SPDs, mostly likely one of the Shimano A-series pedals, and I'll then look out for a reasonably stiff pair of road/touring shoes. If prolonged riding does cause any discomfort or pressure, I'll revisit the setup having not spent a fortune.

The Bontrager Solstice shoes seem to fit the bill, http://www.bontrager.com/model/11664, appear to be as stiff as their cheaper dedicated road shoes, but have a walkable sole too.

Pages

Latest Comments