Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Beginner's advice on pedals & shoes?

Ok, so in a blatant show of my complete lack of road cycling knowledge, I'm after advice please on the subject of road bike pedals and shoes.

Having had my road bike for a couple of months now, I feel sufficiently confident on it to be thinking about upgrading from the toe clips that came with it.

However, I literally have no idea where to start...

I'm broadly aware that there are different types of pedal system out there, but quite how they differ (or put another way, which one is better), I don't know.

What are people's thoughts on this?

I don't spend hours on the bike or ride competitively, so I'm not looking for the lightest, stiffest, high-end stuff, just some serviceable kit to help me do some reasonable weekend mileage.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

100 comments

Chuck | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've got SPD-SLs on my road bike at the moment, but if I were buying again now I'd probably go for SPDs instead.
If I'm honest I probably went for SLs because of some vague 'it's the rules' roadie thing. I think for most people the actual performance difference when you're in the saddle is basically zero, and SPDs are better in pretty much every other respect.
I won't be binning my SLs anytime soon, but I were starting from scratch that's the route I'd go. And I wouldn't even consider commuting on SLs.

parksey replied to Chuck | 10 years ago
0 likes
Chuck wrote:

If I'm honest I probably went for SLs because of some vague 'it's the rules' roadie thing.

This does play on my mind a little, but then I try not to be "that" sort of cyclist and the overwhelming consensus on here seems to be that regular SPDs are absolutely fine anyway.

My thinking is that I see how I get on with SPDs, and if my riding changes to such an extent that I feel an upgrade to SLs to be necessary, I can change them then. From what a lot of people have said on here though, that need may never arise.

Simon E replied to Chuck | 10 years ago
0 likes
Chuck wrote:

If I'm honest I probably went for SLs because of some vague 'it's the rules' roadie thing.

Which is why I automatically consider anyone who cites this kind of made-up 'rule' as an ignorant fool whose opinion is worthless.

Chuck replied to Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Which is why I automatically consider anyone who cites this kind of made-up 'rule' as an ignorant fool whose opinion is worthless.

If I'm reading you right here then you won't mind if I leap to my own conclusions about you and your opinions.

Simon E replied to Chuck | 10 years ago
0 likes
Chuck wrote:
Simon E wrote:
Chuck wrote:

If I'm reading you right here then you won't mind if I leap to my own conclusions about you and your opinions.

You're welcome. I'm flattered by the attention  3

My issue is with the clown who felt the need to impart this sage advice with such certainty. We all have been 'advised' by someone who claims to know what they're talking about but is in fact talking cr@p. Personally I don't enjoy the discovery.

parksey | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm liking the look of those A600 pedals, not least because they can actually be had for around the £50 mark, being what I broadly had in mind to pay for a reasonable set of first clipless pedals. That said, the A520 ones for half the price do look like an absolute bargain.

As I've been riding with toe-clips for a couple of months, I have already developed a knack for flicking the unclipped pedal round when setting off, so I wonder whether a single-sided pedal will be such an issue?

I guess it brings the discussion round to shoes...

I have to admit that I do prefer the trainer-like style of the MTB-oriented shoes over the more football-boot aesthetic of proper road shoes, these recently-reviewed ones on here seem decent.

http://road.cc/content/review/100233-bontrager-evoke-mountain-shoe

matthewn5 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Shimano RT82 shoes take SPD cleats and look like a road shoe, so you won't attract comments from the roadies and the Rules...

VeloPeo replied to matthewn5 | 10 years ago
0 likes
drmatthewhardy wrote:

Shimano RT82 shoes take SPD cleats and look like a road shoe, so you won't attract comments from the roadies and the Rules...

Having wide feet I find Shimano cripple me on longer rides. Specialized are the ones to go for if you're slightly wider of foot - their lower end road shoes also have fittings for both 2 hole (SPD style) and 3 hole (roadie style) cleats

VeloPeo replied to matthewn5 | 10 years ago
0 likes
drmatthewhardy wrote:

Having wide feet I find Shimano cripple me on longer rides. Specialized are the ones to go for if you're slightly wider of foot - their lower end road shoes also have fittings for both 2 hole (SPD style) and 3 hole (roadie style) cleats

Nat Jas Moe | 10 years ago
0 likes

I use crank brothers eggbeaters 4 points of entry and previous to that I used their candy pedals as they were my first clipless and I felt that they offered me some reassurance with a standard if small pedal, a psychological thing. Walking isn't a problem with a mtb shoe as the cleat is well out the way, so no duck walking or perilous slips.

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

@movingtarget - yes, the A520s are single-sided SPDs. You need to get the knack of gently flicking the pedal before clipping in so not as convenient but I like mine. Shimano A600 (http://road.cc/16799) are a slightly lighter version.

Sniffer | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have used Shimano A520s on my commuting bike for the last 5 or 6 years. They were my first experience of clipless pedals and they have been reliable, maintenance free and feel very stable with the relatively big platform. I have not found the one sided design a big deal. They are great value at £25.

You will need a little practice and yes most of us have fallen over at some point on the early days. It is worth the effort to learn though. Recessed cleats are by far the most sensible if you walk more than a few steps around your ride.

I do have SPD-SLs on my 'best bike'. I like the feel of them, but they are less practical. It also an investment as I ended up with two pairs of shoes and winter boots.

Start with SPDs and there is no compelling reason to make a leap to anything else. I have not tried Speedplays though.

Jack Osbourne snr | 10 years ago
0 likes

Mtb pedals and shoes are probably fine up to Cat3 racer level. If you don't race then don't even consider road pedals as they have no practical advantages and one major flaw ie lack of walkability and several other minor ones such as being harder to clip into and being harder to set up to avoid knee issues.

I switched from Look (after years of slipping and sliding off the bike) to Crank Brothers Candy and mtb shoes and do thousands of miles every year on them. The commuter has the same pedals as the audax bike which technically means I only need one pair of shoes for everything. (The reality though is that I'm the cycling version of Imelda Marcos)

I have bog standard shoes and boots for commuting and carbon soled jobs for "performance" riding. In my experience, at a non-competitive level the stiffness of the shoe makes more difference than whether it's a road or mtb pedal.

Aesthetics are perhaps a factor, in that road pedals may look prettier, but that's really the only reason to go down the road pedal line for 90% of people who ride road bikes.

I can also recommend Time Atac mtb pedals as several people I know swear by them.

parksey replied to Jack Osbourne snr | 10 years ago
0 likes
Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

(The reality though is that I'm the cycling version of Imelda Marcos)

I do like this!

movingtarget | 10 years ago
0 likes

@parksey: I'd agree that a recessed cleat would work well for the type of riding you do (urban commuting mixed with longer weekend rides). My one concern on the Shimano A520s that they appear to be a single-sided entry pedal (in the second pic the left is the underside of the pedal and the right is the topside where you click in, dual-sided pedals look identical on top or bottom) meaning that when you're at a standstill ie traffic light you'll be fumbling a bit to click back in which get be a bit stressful with traffic breathing down your neck. Great price tho, gotta love Wiggle. Speedplay Frogs, which I've been happy with for the last 5 years, are pricey new (£63-152 depending on if you go for chromoly vs titanium) but it's easy to get a pair of well cared for used ones for ~£36-49. Had the same pair of stainless Frogs for 4 years with almost no wear on them till I upgraded to a pristine used titanium pair (husband now calls me a weight weenie :P). There's also a great review for dual-sided Shimano M520s here on road.cc too and they're about the same weight as the A520s if you care about those things.

http://road.cc/content/review/43776-shimano-pd-m520-spd-pedal

@Dunluce: Not familiar with strap systems so hopefully someone else will chime in [nudge nudge]

southseabythesea | 10 years ago
0 likes

Speedplays is where it's at!

parksey | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks again for all the input.  1

Whilst the recommendations for road-specific pedals are appreciated, I think I am leaning towards some regular SPDs as a first attempt at clipless. With the nature of my riding, including the need to walk in the shoes, they seem to make the more sense.

Any recommendations on which ones to go with?

I have seen some "touring" SPDs which seem more road-like in their weight and appearance, such as these. Any good?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-a520-touring-pedals/

The bike is booked in with the LBS for once-over on Saturday, so will see what they've can offer.

suebee replied to parksey | 10 years ago
0 likes

I use the Shimano A530s with SPDs: it's a 'half and half' pedal suitable for road, MTB and everyday shoes. It's clunkier and likely heavier than the A520 but great if you use the bike around town as well as for longer training rides. I've had no problem with the 'single-side' access to the clips...

MT63 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Since I started cycling again a couple of years ago I have never used any sort of clipless system but used pedal straps. At present I use the Ynot strap which I find hold my feet well are easy to get in and out of and I can wear pretty much any shoe I want. I commute every day and have done several sportives including the Dunwich Dynamo last year. So my question is, if I'm not a racer or enter time trials is there any real need for clipless; what benefits would they give me?

NickK123 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have had Campag Deltas and Look Keos over the years, and found them both ok. Accept comments from others re ease of walking about in SPDs (and nearly fell over big time at a Sportive stop on the Campag cleats - think Fred Astaire!) Top tips, when starting, set minimum spring tension, unclip early on one side when coming to a stop, minimise heroics when traffic comes to a crawl by unclipping ... Not that I have been caught out by these things you understand ...

Kapelmuur | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have Shimano M424's which I've been using since I went clipless a couple of years ago. The only downside is that they look a little out of place on a road bike and I have had a roadie comment that I've fitted the wrong pedals  29

The pedals have a fairly big platform and can be used with street shoes, although not for long rides as the metal cleat mechanism is slightly proud of the platform.

I'm interested in the comments about 'float'. Bad knees forced me to give up running, but I've had no knee pain with these pedals (my summer rides are 3/4 hours) - do they 'float' or have I been lucky so far?

movingtarget replied to Kapelmuur | 10 years ago
0 likes
Crosshouses wrote:

I have Shimano M424's which I've been using since I went clipless a couple of years ago. The only downside is that they look a little out of place on a road bike and I have had a roadie comment that I've fitted the wrong pedals  29

The pedals have a fairly big platform and can be used with street shoes, although not for long rides as the metal cleat mechanism is slightly proud of the platform.

I'm interested in the comments about 'float'. Bad knees forced me to give up running, but I've had no knee pain with these pedals (my summer rides are 3/4 hours) - do they 'float' or have I been lucky so far?

From what I've read they have 5 degrees of float so just enough to keep your runner's knees happy?

jason.timothy.jones | 10 years ago
0 likes

I would recommend SPD's for starters, in part as they are fairly affordable, can take a beating, but more importantly easier to get out of in a hurry that 'road' pedals

PS, the only time I have taken a fall was when I put my SPD-Sl cleated foot down on a wet while line at a stop sign  14

pants | 10 years ago
0 likes

I use SPDs for everything, I like being able to walk around.

adamthekiwi | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Time, but only because that's what I had on the commuter, as it was inherited from the MTB. I used SPD for many years before switching for Time's greater simplicity, float and mud-clearing ability (the last of which is clearly worthless on a road bike!).

I'm slightly surprised to see so much love for MTB clipless systems as I thought I was some kind of pariah for using MTB boots on the road bike! Much easier to walk in, though, as others have said, and I'm certain I don't notice the extra few grams.

Miles253 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I must be one of the few people that use Time pedals. With lots of float but a still a solid platform to push against I find them to be brilliant. I have used SPd and look keos, though I enjoyed the keos I had a persistent problem with creaking, not sure why, even after greasing and cleaning. Perhaps Time jus fit me as I've got poor knees, but the entry system is just so easy. Step in and click!

Matt eaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

FWIW I have run SPDs and SPD SL. I actually prefer SPD SL, especially with the zero-float cleats but I'm now running SPDs on all of my bikes simply because SPD SL doesn't work for 'cross and the benefits of a single pedal system outweigh any downsides to using SPDs on the road in my view.

I also commuted on SPD SL for about a year. I didn't find them too bad to walk short distances in but they were a PITA if I had to use the stairs at the station to change platforms. If you are doing any kind of practical riding (commuting, to the shops etc. ) them SPD or similar are the obvious choice. If you only cycle for fun then perhaps SPD SL or similar are worth looking at.

parksey | 10 years ago
0 likes

Oh and yeah, the irony wasn't lost on me posting this the same day as a news article reporting the death of a cyclist while using clipless for the first time.

Will definitely make sure I get comfortable with them before going out on the roads proper.

IngloriousLou replied to parksey | 10 years ago
0 likes
parksey wrote:

Will definitely make sure I get comfortable with them before going out on the roads proper.

You'll still fall off a few times, everyone does  1

VeloPeo replied to IngloriousLou | 10 years ago
0 likes
IngloriousLou wrote:
parksey wrote:

You'll still fall off a few times, everyone does  1

And try not to do it stopping at traffic lights.

In front of a pub with a beer garden

On a very hot day

When the beer garden is full with drunk lairy people who laugh at cyclists falling over.

I'd imagine that would be highly embarrassing.

**Ahem**

Pages

Latest Comments