Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bradley Wiggins Book. "My Time".

Am gradually trying to read Bradley Wiggins book "My Time". Although 2012 was a brilliant year for him and British Cycling I am finding the book a bit dry and hard going. I have read many cycling books, some better than others, (the Armstrong ones given away to a charity shop). Just wish that Bradley had had some help from a decent ghost writer to make 2012 come alive on the pages. Anyway just my humble opinion.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

MKultra | 10 years ago
0 likes

Following the horror that was Armstrongs second book I avoided this like the plague until a well meaning relative bought it as a christmas present. He comes over well in it I suppose but what stood out was that a lot of the guys he has ridden alongside over the years were egotistical selfish cockwombles. The whole atmosphere came over as being rather weird/disfunctional for what is a team sport. No I wouldn't recommend this book.

rnarito | 10 years ago
0 likes

I enjoyed the book, although it did drag on from time to time. It was nice to get his take on the controversy between he and Froome. Just finished Cavendish's new book "Life in the Fast Lane" and thought it was a little better.  1

Luminosity replied to rnarito | 10 years ago
0 likes
rnarito wrote:

It was nice to get his take on the controversy between he and Froome.

That was seriously interesting. Reading it now I'm a little surprised that he says that he'll support Froome this year. Maybe time does heal...

Him Up North | 10 years ago
0 likes

I received it the Christmas it came out. I remember it being pretty anodyne. I recently tried trading it in on Amazon but they didn't want it. This year Santa brought Wide Eyed and Legless by Jeff Connor. That was a total hoot.  21

Kapelmuur | 10 years ago
0 likes

As a general rule books by athletes who are still active should be avoided as they tend to be bland in order not to upset sponsors, team mates etc. (Miller's book is an exception to this but he has a specific story to tell).

However, I did pick up 'Bradley Wiggins - In Pursuit Of Glory' for a few pence from a remainder bin, not read it yet.

Miles253 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I read and enjoyed My Time, but +1 that David MIllers' was better

southseabythesea | 10 years ago
0 likes

David Millar's book, 'the fall and rise of David Millar' is a much better read re British pro cyclist... well in my humble opinion.

Luminosity | 10 years ago
0 likes

No FatBastard I agree - Interesting enough but pretty dry in places. Reading it at the moment.

Picked it up for £1 in WHSmith bargain section...!

Metjas | 10 years ago
0 likes

rushed, boring, maybe two or three little passages that I found interesting/didn't know yet. Certainly would not recommend buying and funnily enough have not even offered to any friends for reading....says enough.

Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes

Got it for Chrimbo 2012; tbh pretty poor, just typical 'quick, rush it out' stuff from the publisher.

Wiggins will definitely have a great (auto?)biography at some point - we're so used to him that we forget (a) he's quite an unusual, interesting guy, and (b) he's achieved extraordinary things. 'My Time' ain't it, though.

jollygoodvelo | 10 years ago
0 likes

Read it. Interesting-ish. It's been gathering dust since.

jason.timothy.jones | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have it on Audiobook also, its much better listen that read for some reason

andym999 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just my tuppence worth - and I'll say straightaway I don't have much to judge it against - but I blitzed through it in a few days after receiving it at Christmas, while it might not be the most entertaining or humorous read, I did feel that he came across as I'd expect - strong opinions, dedicated - and it was a fascinating study of what goes on at the top of elite sport, and the scientific work, training and sacrifice that went into Wiggins' 2012...

Latest Comments