Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Overshoes for trainers

Feet not too toasty this morning and was looking at the overshoe reviews, are these suitable for putting over trainers or do they just work with slim cycle shoes.

My trainers aren't too bulky, but the sole is a bit thicker than the usual wafer on a cycle shoe, would be closer to MTB shoes, and hit happily under toe-clips.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

purplecup | 14 years ago
0 likes

Altura do a Night Vision City overshoe that's designed to go over 'a wide variety of footwear' - we'll see if we can get some in.

TheHatter | 14 years ago
0 likes

I do think that if there's any body part that you want to keep warm and dry then its your feet. There's nothing worse than soggy socks...
...well, maybe a soggy gentlemans warmer  19

Fringe replied to TheHatter | 14 years ago
0 likes
TheHatter wrote:

...well, maybe a soggy gentlemans warmer  19

dont worry im working on a waterproof version as we speak!  4

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

I think my problem is that I'm a right bike tart, and hate anything to not look new...

I'm sure your right Dave, I've not used overshoes for other than road riding. My MTB days involved so much crap that my feet were a small part part of the overall cold, muddy and wet mess that was me.

step.doran | 14 years ago
0 likes

Sounds interesting, any recommendations? Have to say, the thick endura ones make you look a little like Frankenstein's monster over mtb shoes :). Think it's the grey colour.

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

true DaSy, but i use them for mtb/cross riding in the winter - sometimes on flats - which involves a lot of walking and scuffing of the underneath. okay they don't last for ever but they're definitely a toasty bonus while they do. the less fabric they have on the base the less there is to scuff, some have elastic straps and you can just sew a new one on when you've worn through it...

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Normally they are really designed with clipless pedals and cycling shoes in mind. I think you would have issues with damaging the fabric on the soles with normal pedals, and also if you ride with toe clips that would also tend to cause damage.

The fabric they are made from is not that tough, and isn't really designed to be rubbed against anything.

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

if you get a thin neoprene one and spec it a size too big you should be okay. check how they fit at the bottom - some have more sole than others and one without much of a sole would probably be best over trainers. i've worn them over shimano boots before without any problems...

Latest Comments