Home

My son has had some success in Youth E races on his Trek KDR 1000 43cm. Next year he moves up to Youth D and by mid-season will probably need a larger bike.

I'd like to build up a bike based on Shimano 10 speed (to include R700 short reach levers and 165mm cranks) but I'm struggling to find a reasonable cost 46cm frameset new or used.

To-date I've been ruling out compact framesets that state a 46cm seat tube as they equate realistically to 50cm traditional.

Any suggestions on new XS framesets or bikes?  26

10 comments

kilotango [5 posts] 6 years ago
0 likes

Isla Rowntree's Islabikes: http://www.islabikes.co.uk/ are sure to have something suitable.

Old Cranky [257 posts] 6 years ago
0 likes

Her Luath bikes are great (and excellent value), but I was hoping to find something a bit lighter with 10 speed - more road racing specific.

Tony Farrelly [2868 posts] 6 years ago
0 likes

What about one of these http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/product.php?id=47 we've had a youngster testing one, and as soon as we've got some pics we'll be posting it again

0 likes

That looks ideal - their web site is a bit thin on detail. What was the feedback from your tests?

Tony Farrelly [2868 posts] 6 years ago
0 likes

He liked it a lot, enough to want to buy it.

0 likes

Thanks Tony - I'll find a local stockist and follow up.

Keep an eye out for an U10 racing around Hillingdon, MK Bowl, Hog Hill, Dunsfold and other closed road youth races on a small Kinesis.  26

Simon E [2652 posts] 6 years ago
0 likes

The Islabikes have correctly proportioned components and are beautifully made. Secondhand value is very high too. The club has a couple available to the riders at the Saturday youth training sessions, some of the kids prefer the Luath models over their own bikes.

Does he need 10 gears? I considered myself lucky having 3 at that age  3 Bear in mind max gears for Cat D is quite low (BC Word doc).

0 likes

Yes, I'm aware of the restricted gearing. Many parents aren't though and you should see the anguish when a kid is disqualified if post-race scruniteering find the bike over-geared.

Youth bikes only really need a single chainring and the rear derailleur wound in to stop at the 15 tooth sprocket.

A 10 speed cassette still gives a range of 7 gears (15-16-17-19-21-23-25) and my son can use my race wheels.

Simon E [2652 posts] 6 years ago
0 likes

They don't scrutineer the bikes before the race?  13

0 likes

Nope, not all of the events are that well organised, so, post-race, the top three finishers have their bike's checked. If any fail then they call out the next finisher, etc.

Awful for the kids who get disqualified and their dads.