Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Smartphones and long rides: The Strategy

There's a lot of discussion around smartphones vs. Garmins for long rides. In one corner, Garminados waffle about 15hr battery life, waterproofness and size, while in the geek corner Mobilistas tout cheap smartphones with a few extra batteries as the way to go, not doubling up on tech as the Garmin crowd carry mobiles anyway.

I present proof positive that a smartphone - even one 4 years old - can do the job. This screenshot is 5 1/2hrs into a 'ride', recording with Strava and using Viewranger for navigation, at 25% battery left. Critically the Viewranger Trip screen has been on all the time, with the nav arrow and other information displayed - meaning it can do a ride of over 7 hours with the display on permanently. Brightness was turned down, but it was still quite visible. Also the phone was connected to 3UK the whole time, mobile data and WiFi turned off.

Noting that if you set the screen to auto-off after say 15 seconds, you can wake it to check direction at an intersection, then it will go back to sleep automatically. This will dramatically improve battery life to about 12hrs in this case, as you see below screen power accounts for nearly half battery usage.

So you have Strava logging, always-on navigation, plus can receive calls/SMS. With the option to turn on mobile data to check email if really needed.

The phone in this case is a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc, but for £40-ish you could have a Motorola Defy from eBay, rated IP67 waterproof and pretty shockproof to boot. Stem-mount it on £27-worth of Quadlock and you have a quarter-turn easy on-off solution that is weatherproof and can have its always-on runtime doubled to around 12hrs using £10 worth of extra battery. Or out to 24hrs if you have screen sleep enabled.

If/when you do need to stop and swap batteries, a Strava TCX/GPX file can be joined using one of a few methods to give that all-important one long ride.

The 4.4-star rated Viewranger app is free for Android and iOS. You can purchase Viewranger maps for less than half of the Garmin cost and the online route planning tool is genius. £90 gets you all of the UK (£199 from Garmin), or smaller bits are priced applicably less. Or you can download Openstreetmap / Opencyclemap tiles for free *from the app, on the mobile* and use them anywhere in the world. This can be done whilst on the road, no laptop needed - for example, using free Wifi in a café. Did this in Belgium last year- worked flawlessly.

Hopefully this goes some way to clearing the air and giving people hope that quality, robust on-bike long-ride nav, logging and comms is perfectly do-able for less than £100.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

88 comments

giobox | 10 years ago
0 likes

Given how cheap you can snatch up a Garmin Edge 500, 200 or a Bryton model I don't really think the compromises of using a phone are worthwhile. Phones also tend to promote battery life over GPS accuracy, often causing some pretty crappy data in my experience. Very much like the experience of the Sony Experia Arc user listed earlier.

Merlin are doing the Bryton rider 20 with a heart rate strap for 65 quid. All you need for Strava, decent quality ride data and no more worrying about phones/waterproofing/mounts etc. This is outrageously good value. It even has ant+ too, unlike the Garmin edge 200.

KiwiMike replied to giobox | 10 years ago
0 likes
giobox wrote:

Given how cheap you can snatch up a Garmin Edge 500, 200 or a Bryton model I don't really think the compromises of using a phone are worthwhile. Phones also tend to promote battery life over GPS accuracy, often causing some pretty crappy data in my experience. Very much like the experience of the Sony Experia Arc user listed earlier.

The whole reason for using a phone is the mapping/navigation. Specifically, free OpenStreetmap or Opencyclemaps. As with any electronic device YMMV, the issues with the Xperia Arc are known and fixes are available. Most phones don't have any problems these days. I cannot distinguish the rides i record on Android or iphone from friends on the same ride using Garmins. Almost identical distances, speeds and altitudes. Given the natural variability in reading a signal from a garden shed moving at over 3km a second, 20,000km out into space, from your jersey pocket, it's not too shabby  3

With a few tweaked settings, you can have all-day onscreen map-based nav without investing the best part of £500.

Scoob_84 replied to KiwiMike | 10 years ago
0 likes
KiwiMike wrote:
giobox wrote:

The whole reason for using a phone is the mapping/navigation. Specifically, free OpenStreetmap or Opencyclemaps. As with any electronic device YMMV, the issues with the Xperia Arc are known and fixes are available. Most phones don't have any problems these days. I cannot distinguish the rides i record on Android or iphone from friends on the same ride using Garmins. Almost identical distances, speeds and altitudes. Given the natural variability in reading a signal from a garden shed moving at over 3km a second, 20,000km out into space, from your jersey pocket, it's not too shabby  3

With a few tweaked settings, you can have all-day onscreen map-based nav without investing the best part of £500.

You can use Garmins 200 and 500's for navigation. I do this all the time with my 500.

KiwiMike replied to Scoob_84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Scoob_84 wrote:

You can use Garmins 200 and 500's for navigation. I do this all the time with my 500.

How well does that work in practice, riding in a totally strange place? That's a breadcrumb trail with no mapping - and the UK mapping on the 800/810 is £200 vs. free for Viewranger if you download the free Openstreetmap tiles. Also Garmin give no distance- or time-to-turn - just an alert if you go off-course, and no way to easily get back on without guessing and waiting for another alert to say you're now going the wrong way. The peloton will have beaten me to a pulp with their Lezynes long before I work out which way to go, once lost in Hampshire's myriad lane maze.

My aim is to have low-cost stress-free nav where making a mistake or a detour is forgiveable/recoverable. £150 for a 500 with no maps. Or the 800 is £300 with the UK 1:50k maps, which is a great solution - if you have £300. Add another £150 for the 810.

cqexbesd replied to KiwiMike | 10 years ago
0 likes
KiwiMike wrote:

My aim is to have low-cost stress-free nav where making a mistake or a detour is forgiveable/recoverable. £150 for a 500 with no maps. Or the 800 is £300 with the UK 1:50k maps, which is a great solution - if you have £300. Add another £150 for the 810.

I'm using a Garmin Dakota 20 with OpenStreetMap and it works quite well. Not perfect but better than any phone setup I have managed. The touch screen is ok but not great - if I had to buy again I might go for the etrex something. I like the compass as it tells me which way to start off in after stopping for lunch!

Long battery life, easily swapable batteries, water proof, screen always visible etc.

I'm still trying to find a good way to utilise my dynamo to charge batteries though.

DaveQB replied to KiwiMike | 8 years ago
0 likes
KiwiMike wrote:
Scoob_84 wrote:

How well does that work in practice, riding in a totally strange place? That's a breadcrumb trail with no mapping - and the UK mapping on the 800/810 is £200 vs. free for Viewranger if you download the free Openstreetmap tiles. Also Garmin give no distance- or time-to-turn - just an alert if you go off-course, and no way to easily get back on without guessing and waiting for another alert to say you're now going the wrong way. The peloton will have beaten me to a pulp with their Lezynes long before I work out which way to go, once lost in Hampshire's myriad lane maze.

Although I agree a phone has much better navigation than most Garmins and I have only ever been using my phone as my bike computer since I started cycling 3 years ago, the Garmin 500 I am trying now does decent navigation including distance to next 3 turnsand warnings X meters before the next turns.

I am finding the key is when making the route (on RideWithGPS) you need to check the way points that are auto made and correct them. I even add an extra way point before a turn I feel I need good notice for to state what the next turn will be. I found that on some roundabouts where the route is going straight through (2nd exit), RideWithGPS would put a left turn at the entry and a left turn at the exit. Very confusing while on the bike. So I have learned to check and change these way points and also change the notice text if it's not clear. So far so good but still testing.

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

anyone got any experience of the Haier W718? IP67, 2000mAh (replaceable) battery, Android 4.2. you can have one for about £60.

Cheesyclimber | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you're feeling adventurous it's worth rooting an old Android phone and turning it into a dedicated ride computer. I put a lightweight ROM (Dgb) on my ancient HTC Desire and it did the job perfectly, the battery seemed to last forever and GPS accuracy was spot on. It also means you can adjust the minutiae of the phone, so you can set it to wake up when you press the front buttons (essential if it's in a case) and turn off battery draining things like screen animations and other useless bits.

Charles_Hunter | 10 years ago
0 likes

Good tip with airplane mode, I hadn't thought of that.

Him Up North | 10 years ago
0 likes

Another Xperia Arc user!  103

Can I pick your brains? Do you find the GPS on the Xperia any good? Mine wigs out on rides, dropping speed readings at points and showing "detours" I didn't take. I don't use Strava (not that invested yet) but use Google's My Tracks.

Secondly, what do you use to mount the handset to your bike? There are millions of gadgets for iphones but a dearth for the XA.

KiwiMike replied to Him Up North | 10 years ago
0 likes
Him Up North wrote:

Another Xperia Arc user!  103

Can I pick your brains? Do you find the GPS on the Xperia any good? Mine wigs out on rides, dropping speed readings at points and showing "detours" I didn't take. I don't use Strava (not that invested yet) but use Google's My Tracks.

Secondly, what do you use to mount the handset to your bike? There are millions of gadgets for iphones but a dearth for the XA.

I recently did alot of faffing to get the GPS working better. can't remember which site/method I used, but it now locks in about 10 seconds instead of 10 minutes or not at all. I recall installing a new GPS file or something, telling it to look for a different clock signal.

Re mounting, nothing yet beyond a BikeCityGuide Finn mount rubber thing. Am thinking the Quadlock is the way to go, but might buy a Moto Defy instead as that is water/shock proof to boot.

corkadillo | 10 years ago
0 likes

I still use my iPhone housed in a waterproof case on the bars. The case has an opening for the charging cable. I then use an external battery to keep it topped up. The battery I use will charge the phone 3 times from dead.

I wrote more about it here http://www.corkadillo.co.uk/2013/01/20/pebble-portable-battery-pack-char...

It works for me.

kamoshika | 10 years ago
0 likes

For really long rides, has anyone looked at the possibility of hooking a dynamo hub up to the appropriate cable to charge a smart phone? I think modern dynamos typically have a 6v, 3W output, so should be well capable of keeping a smartphone charged. Then you could ride indefinitely  3

Edit: went and had a look, and answered my own question: http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/supernova-the-plug-iii-usb-charger/ai...

KiwiMike replied to kamoshika | 10 years ago
0 likes
graham_f wrote:

For really long rides, has anyone looked at the possibility of hooking a dynamo hub up to the appropriate cable to charge a smart phone? I think modern dynamos typically have a 6v, 3W output, so should be well capable of keeping a smartphone charged. Then you could ride indefinitely  3

Edit: went and had a look, and answered my own question: http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/supernova-the-plug-iii-usb-charger/ai...

It is £135 for a variable 6 > 5V USB socket. And includes no storage, so you have to charge on-the-go, negating IP rating & introducing cable faffage.

Plus you need a decent dynamo hub - another £100 built?

I've looked at these before, and not seen anything cable/free/truly elegant, nor anything that came in under £250-£300 all-up and required a dedicated bike build.

Sure, if you are going unsupported around the world that sort of thing or a large Powermonkey solar et al is the go. I'm talking about single- or multi-day 8-12hr efforts in the developed world, where your bed is likely to be within arm's reach of a 240v socket to recharge mobile batteries overnight.

dave atkinson replied to kamoshika | 10 years ago
0 likes
graham_f wrote:

yeah, i've used the plug (an early version, newer ones are better) and it was just the ticket for keeping a phone topped up on a long ride (400km brevet cymru)

Chuck | 10 years ago
0 likes

Re the Defy- I've got one (well, just replaced actually) and it's worth noting that if it's even a bit sunny it's very hard to actually see anything on it.

chokofingrz | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yes, you can do 6-7 hour rides using your smartphone of choice, but it's still a pain managing the settings to keep it alive, and knowing the battery is going to get low. Not really viable for unsupported touring, so I'm going to get one of those Anker portable battery devices which holds enough for several full recharges. £30 on Amazon and more useful than a solar charger. Apparently Saxo-Tinkoff's Chris Sørensen swears by them too.

KiwiMike replied to chokofingrz | 10 years ago
0 likes
chokofingrz wrote:

Yes, you can do 6-7 hour rides using your smartphone of choice, but it's still a pain managing the settings to keep it alive, and knowing the battery is going to get low. Not really viable for unsupported touring, so I'm going to get one of those Anker portable battery devices which holds enough for several full recharges. £30 on Amazon and more useful than a solar charger. Apparently Saxo-Tinkoff's Chris Sørensen swears by them too.

Why not 2-3 spare batteries? £10 for OEM ones. Using an external charger like the Anker means no IP rating and you have to work out how to mount it somehow with a cable going to the phone, whereas pop a new bty in whilst huddled in a bus shelter/under a tree and you're off again for another 12hrs of pedaling.

Re: managing settings, going into Airplane mode or even WiFi/Mobile Data off is the work of seconds.

Shep73 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I like my Garmin for navigating new routes and always use it but I have never had 15 hours out of it. I actually find the battery life is around 8 hours but Garmin and other dedicated GPS do give a better satellite fix so are more accurate.
The downside to the Garmins is the map image quality when zoomed in, the open maps are better (more of a satnav feel), just a shame they don't do an explorer version. And the Memory Maps version is a better image as well so I can see why people use it on phones, especially with a bigger screen.

ScottChegg | 10 years ago
0 likes

my current set up is iphone 5 with wahoo rflkt, cadence/speed sensor and heart rate monitor all connected via bluetooth 4.0.
I have the phone in a topeak drybag in back pocket running wahoo fitness app and although i have the screen off i dont turn off wifi or mobile data.
This generally uses 12-14% battery per hour therefore i could probably ride 7-8 hours using this method.
I think i could get nearer 10 hours if i turned off wifi and mobile data and all apps running in background that i dont need whilst out cycling.
Not bad for a mobile........

paulrbarnard replied to ScottChegg | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have pretty much the same setup but I do turn off the wifi. I use rflk and blue speed/cad sensor. The phone is in my back pocket wight eh display off and I haver completed 6 hours with loads of battery in reserve.

argotittilius | 10 years ago
0 likes

I normally just bung strava on, then dump the phone in a pocket till the end of the ride, and completely ignore it. The knowledge that Strava is silently recording and judging me is sometimes enough to get out of the saddle and push that climb a little harder. I try not to look while I'm riding though, unless I get thoroughly lost and need to get home.
However as a loyal velomanatus, I don't really like he asthetics of mounting a smartphone on the handlebars - definitely a rule 74 breach  3

KiwiMike replied to argotittilius | 10 years ago
0 likes
argotittilius wrote:

I normally just bung strava on, then dump the phone in a pocket till the end of the ride, and completely ignore it. The knowledge that Strava is silently recording and judging me is sometimes enough to get out of the saddle and push that climb a little harder. I try not to look while I'm riding though, unless I get thoroughly lost and need to get home.
However as a loyal velomanatus, I don't really like he asthetics of mounting a smartphone on the handlebars - definitely a rule 74 breach  3

Sure, I get that as a use case when you know where you are going and frequently do just that myself. However my specific problem is leading regular club rides where we have never been before down twisting country lanes, sometimes over several hundred km. In these cases all-day on-handlebar navigation isn't a nice-to-have, it's essential.

Knowing whether you are turning left/right/straight on well before the intersection means no stopping, no faffing, no need to carry maps, get a phone out, open app, get GPS lock, zoom in, etc etc etc...and the Viewranger/OpenStreetmap combo means you get it for free.

Velominati rules only apply for rides of sub-4hrs, where you know where you are going.

Cyclist replied to KiwiMike | 10 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Knowing whether you are turning left/right/straight on well before the intersection means no stopping,

Velominati rules only apply for rides of sub-4hrs, where you know where you are going.

Good luck with the not stopping, very advanced riding there, did you go on a course?

And you can shove velotwaty rules up franks ass:-/

Map simple, the art will be lost, and you can have prompts on the stem, font size 8 cc size laminated, I get over a ton rides worth of info on it. No battery no failure, water proof and costs zero pence.

KiwiMike replied to Cyclist | 10 years ago
0 likes
Cyclist wrote:
Quote:

Knowing whether you are turning left/right/straight on well before the intersection means no stopping,

Good luck with the not stopping, very advanced riding there, did you go on a course?

And you can shove velotwaty rules up franks ass:-/

Map simple, the art will be lost, and you can have prompts on the stem, font size 8 cc size laminated, I get over a ton rides worth of info on it. No battery no failure, water proof and costs zero pence.

'Not stopping' means not having to stop. And unfold a map. And be certain you know where you are. While everyone else waits impatiently, getting cold. It's called having your shit together as a leader.

Yes I can read a map. I can also triangulate and do back-bearings in mils as well as ° ' ". That's not the point.

And there isn't a top tube let alone stem long enough to hold Audax-grade prompts on the sort of rides we do around here where most roads are less than a mile before a turn. Try typing out 70-100 turns, then tell me it's a: bulletproof and b: fun.

Turn sheets are fine so long as your speedo *and* plotting are accurate. Forget to re-zero one and you're screwed. No solution is perfect.

Gareth W-R | 10 years ago
0 likes

I found that when doing long rides (6-7 hours) I put my phone on airplane mode and Strava still works with battery to spare at the end!

KiwiMike replied to Gareth W-R | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gareth W-R wrote:

I found that when doing long rides (6-7 hours) I put my phone on airplane mode and Strava still works with battery to spare at the end!

For sure. I can get 13hrs out of my iphone in airplane mode. Point being, most people like to be contactable out on the bike. With a properly waterproof phone mounted properly, you wouldn't need to carry a second phone for emergencies.

KiwiMike | 10 years ago
0 likes

Proof

Pages

Latest Comments