Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New commuter / winter steed

As I'm relocating and will have a longer daily commute than I'd like to do on a single speed, I'm in the market for a fresh steed. (Well it's as good a reason as any, n+1 and all that) I'm well aware of the 'try and see which one you like best' mantra but I have a shortlist and would like feedback and experience from anyone who has owned or ridden the following:

Condor Fratello
Condor Acciaio
Genesis Equilibrium 853
Kinesis Athein
Kinesis Racelight
Chickens frames handbuilt Colombus life lugged.

I'm not in the market for carbon, I have enough of those so steel / alloy alternatives with clearance for mudguards considered. I'm also after frameset only as it's being built up with Athena.

Thanks in advance!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

ajmarshal1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

having spoken to a few more Condor owners, it's going to be the Fratello. Thanks to those that replied.  1

Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes

I ride a Cinelli Gazzetta Della Strada, Columbus tubing etc. and it's lovely. Maybe a lower price point than you're looking at off-the-peg, but you can get the frame&fork (and handlebars, Cinelli after all) plus custom build of the rest. Mudguards and rack no probs, probably fit up to 32s if you wanted.

Saying that, if you're financially in a place where you can go to a proper framebuilder, that'd be my choice. It'll always unquestionably be 'your' bike. There's a fella at my work who is the proud owner of a gorgeous custom-built Rourke and by golly does he love it.

ajmarshal1 replied to Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes
Ghedebrav wrote:

I ride a Cinelli Gazzetta Della Strada, Columbus tubing etc. and it's lovely. Maybe a lower price point than you're looking at off-the-peg, but you can get the frame&fork (and handlebars, Cinelli after all) plus custom build of the rest. Mudguards and rack no probs, probably fit up to 32s if you wanted.

Saying that, if you're financially in a place where you can go to a proper framebuilder, that'd be my choice. It'll always unquestionably be 'your' bike. There's a fella at my work who is the proud owner of a gorgeous custom-built Rourke and by golly does he love it.

Lovely looking bike. Will try and get a ride on one.

ajmarshal1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

It will be secured indoors both at home and at work.

If I'm absolutely honest, I am leaning toward Condor over the other options. Bedfordshire Clanger, did you get yours through Condor themselves or another retailer?

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

Is it locked up safe somewhere? Because I don't think I'd want to leave any of those on the pavement!
If it's gonna be indoors - haunt the classifieds here and on other sites and get yourself some Ti for the same price as those up there cost new.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 10 years ago
0 likes

I commute 34 miles a day on a Fratello and I love it. I can't comment on your other options. The Fratello will take up to 28mm tyres if you feel the need, mudguards and a rack. I find it very comfortable as a commuter whilst still being responsive and fun enough to ride on its own at the weekend. It is quick enough for me to have hit some top tens in Strava even with my panniers for work attached. It works for me and if I needed a replacement, I would buy another in an instant. I recommend Condor and the Fratello unreservedly.

Good luck in the search and I hope you enjoy he relocation and he new bike.

Cheers!

Latest Comments