Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Eurosport HD, without Sky/Virgin

Is there a way to get a subscription to Eurosport HD channels without subscribing to the whole shebang packages from Sky, Virgin or the likes?

I've realised recently that the only non-Freeview channels that I regularly watch are Eurosport, CNN, Bloomberg (work) and Cartoon Network (Sitcoms). I have alternatives for other 3 but not for Eurosport. Yet, paying £50+ to only get 2 Eurosport channels doesn't seem acceptable either. Any ideas?

PS: looking at legal, quality options, not pirated feeds for races.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

middlering | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just an update: I kept the sky connection with Eurosport HD. Removed the whole Sky Sports package, reducing the monthly bill by half.
Sort of a middle path.

fustuarium | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm pretty sure that quite a few of the races were HD on the Eurosport player last year. But as someone else has said, catch-up is almost non existant, and it hangs constantly on all my android devices.

Dutch25 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've got rid of Sky for the same reasons as it costs a fortune and I only watch Eurosport and cbeebies. Got a recordable free view box and Apple TV. This means I can watch Eurosport player on the tv through airplay from my iPhone/iPad/mac. Seems ok at the moment.

mcreeder78 replied to Dutch25 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Can you record Eurosport thou? It might have changed, but the cycling wasn't on their catch up service before.

mcreeder78 replied to Dutch25 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Can you record Eurosport thou? It might have changed, but the cycling wasn't on their catch up service before.

giobox | 10 years ago
0 likes

Surprised at the positive recommendations for the Eurosport player. I found both the site and the iPhone app to be among the worst video services I've ever used. The web player was a nightmare to try and use. Unless its changed since the Grand Tour season last year, they had virtually no catch-up options on the site or phone, meaning you could only watch in real time making it very impractical.

For the tour de france I ended up using the ITV iOS app. for a small monthly fee you could turn adverts off, and coupled with an appleTV I was able to get the video on my TV. Much better experience than Eurosport for the TdF at least.

middlering | 10 years ago
0 likes

With both Giro and MSR on Sky sports, that tilts the balance in favour of keeping the Sky Sports + Eurosports subscriptions going for now. Might re-evaluate after May though  1

wwfcb replied to middlering | 10 years ago
0 likes

The Giro is live on Eurosport, as well as Milan San Remo.

Sky have highlights of both.

http://2014tvguide.eurosport.com/#/14

http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/news/15264/9109743/giro-ditalia-tour-d...

middlering | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks folks!

Seems like my options are get just the entertainment extra package from sky, or get a EurosportPlayer subscription.

Given that my Sony has Eurosport app built in, its a really attractive proposition at under £4. Its just the love of HD footage that's got me thinking about staying with sky.

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yep it was on Sky last year.

Kingrolo | 10 years ago
0 likes

I find Eurosport player great value for £3.99 a month. The iphone app and smartTV app are included in the subscription too so not just on a PC or laptop.

@ cisbtint Someone posted this list of what Eurosport will be showing this year http://2014tvguide.eurosport.com/#/14

yenrod | 10 years ago
0 likes

- cricfree.tv or procyclinglive...try them 2  3

cisbtint | 10 years ago
0 likes

I know this isn't directly linked to the thread, but does anyone know how many of the Tours are going to be put on Sky Sports, and not Eurosport, as has happened with the Tour Down Under (or was that on Sky Sports last year ?)..
The start of a slippery slope ?

wwfcb replied to cisbtint | 10 years ago
0 likes
cisbtint wrote:

I know this isn't directly linked to the thread, but does anyone know how many of the Tours are going to be put on Sky Sports, and not Eurosport, as has happened with the Tour Down Under (or was that on Sky Sports last year ?)..

pretty sure Tour Down Under was on Sky last year.

Him Up North replied to cisbtint | 10 years ago
0 likes
cisbtint wrote:

Sky Sports have confirmed the following so far...

Shep73 replied to Him Up North | 10 years ago
0 likes
Him Up North wrote:
cisbtint wrote:

Sky Sports have confirmed the following so far...

Bugger I refused to put sky sports back on as it was only the TDU on there or so I thought, wished I had now as it now has some value with other races and I have missed the TDU now when I could've watched it.

girodilento | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have used the Eurosport Player too and will probably resubscribe - it's about £35 for a full year but it's not HD, or wasn't when I last used it. I played it on my TV by plugging my laptop into the TV and it worked reasonably well. The picture quality was never as good as I thought it should be (I have 38mb internet speed - so it wasn't that).

If you have a Panasonic TV less than a year or two old - they have the Eurosport Player app built in - don't know about other brands.

It's much cheaper than going to Sky et al but there is a picture quality sacrifice versus HD. It's ok - as long as your not expecting amazing picture quality.

Good luck

KirinChris | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you have decent broadband then the Eurosport player is a good cheap alternative. It works and is usually pretty good.

For me it's the only option to see any racing, apart from random days of the grand tours that might be on one of the local channels.

parksey | 10 years ago
0 likes

As above. You don't need the Sports package on Sky to get Eurosport, it's part of Entertainment Extra which can be had for about £30 (ignoring any non-TV subscriptions like phone or internet.

Give them a ring or go online to check what package you've got, as there's a few still around, especially if you were an early HD Pack subscriber, that aren't very good value for money against their latest ones.

I was in that boat, and it only cost me another 25p a month to get a whole load of extra channels (including Eurosport). I did lose the F1 channel, mind.

glynr36 | 10 years ago
0 likes

£50?
My package with Sky that gets me Eurosport (again the only channel I really watch that freeview wouldn't get me) is way less, (£32 iirc).
I'd have a look at your package sounds like you have some stuff that you don't need to watch Eurosport, if you can't cut it down any more then you can always say you'll leave them, they sometimes drop the prices in an effort to keep you.

Lenny B | 10 years ago
1 like

I subscribe to the Eurosport Player - http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk

Latest Comments