TDU Stage 1 under threat from bushfires

by ray silvester   January 18, 2014  

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-down-under-start-under-threat-from-...

10 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

yes, saw that. not great news, but it is what it is...

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7252 posts]
18th January 2014 - 12:30

like this
Like (2)

Hopefully we wont have carnage brought upon us by the elements and other sinister forces this season.....remember the Arctic Milan San Remo/Giro plus Orica's best efforts to wipe out stage 1 of the Giro with their bridge breaking bus....and i think it was bike thefts at the Tour Med.

Still....it made things weirdly fascinating!!

posted by ray silvester [1740 posts]
18th January 2014 - 15:29

like this
Like (3)

As for team selection, when will it be made official no stage 1 ?

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Gaius Julius Caesar.

stumps's picture

posted by stumps [2664 posts]
19th January 2014 - 4:52

like this
Like (1)

stumps wrote:
As for team selection, when will it be made official no stage 1 ?

don't know, sounds like they're going to make the call fairly late

Dave Atkinson's picture

19th January 2014 - 10:12

like this
Like (0)

Quote:
TDU race director Mike Turtur said organizers would decide Monday evening at 5 p.m. local time after conferring with public safety officials.

so that's monday morning in the UK

Dave Atkinson's picture

19th January 2014 - 10:17

like this
Like (0)

I spoke to my accommodation in Barossa Valley today, they were confident Stage 1 would go ahead - said fire was a fair way away although it is expected to keep burning for a while yet.

Women's road race is scheduled for Monday arvo on same course. I spoke to organisers at TDU Prelude. They said they will decide 7am Monday morning whether to proceed with women's race based on latest fire advice. There is a bit of politics here - local fire authority has declared it "watch and act" - so TDU can't come out and say well we're going ahead anyway.

posted by Nix [39 posts]
19th January 2014 - 12:21

like this
Like (0)

ray silvester wrote:
Hopefully we wont have carnage brought upon us by the elements and other sinister forces this season.....remember the Arctic Milan San Remo/Giro plus Orica's best efforts to wipe out stage 1 of the Giro with their bridge breaking bus....and i think it was bike thefts at the Tour Med.

Your memory is misfiring- the Orica bus hitting the finish banner was at the Tour de France.

posted by Al__S [488 posts]
19th January 2014 - 13:11

like this
Like (1)

Al__S wrote:
ray silvester wrote:

Your memory is misfiring- the Orica bus hitting the finish banner was at the Tour de France.

So it was....somehow I always think of Corsica as Italian D Oh

posted by ray silvester [1740 posts]
19th January 2014 - 14:53

like this
Like (1)

Sometimes, corsica was in italy.
This year, apparently, Belfast is in Italy? They must have opened a Bella Italia on the Falls road.

J Andrew Hill

Its a marathon, not a snickers

JAndrewHill's picture

posted by JAndrewHill [1208 posts]
19th January 2014 - 15:36

like this
Like (2)

Women's race on same course is going ahead today.

posted by Nix [39 posts]
19th January 2014 - 22:32

like this
Like (0)