Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Weston-super-Mare bike lane. Beautiful attitude to non-drivers from executive member for transport

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=553509894744158

Sorry, it's a FB link, if anyone could get a 'proper' one it would be much appreciated.

This is my everyday route, or it would be if I didn't ride a couple of miles out of my way to avoid it.

He's not just letting cyclists down, it's people on bikes that are going to avoid the route entirely, and he just doesn't get it.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

bazzargh | 10 years ago
0 likes

You wanted a 'proper' link - it's on iplayer as part of the BBC Points West broadcast:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03pqd74/BBC_Points_West_15_01_2014/

17 minutes in, also get some additional pics of comedy cycle lanes.

However, the iplayer link expires in 3 hours.

jacknorell | 10 years ago
0 likes

What utter incompetence in designing and building that.

rockfield | 10 years ago
0 likes

The a370 out of weston carries on after the roundabout. They have put the cycle path on the right hand side of the A road as there is a filter lane for the motorway on the left hand side of the road. Its a complete nightmare to be honest.
the plans are here:
https://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/Transport/transport%20planning/Road_improv...

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

On the right of an A-road approaching a motorway. Where exactly is it supposed to be taking cyclists and how would they get to it even if it was level?

Next time just give me the money, I am available for consultations.

Mountainboy replied to Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's pretty much the only way (without a substantial detour) to take the A370 out of Weston-super-Mare to eg Bristol, Portishead, Clevedon etc.

OldRidgeback replied to Mountainboy | 10 years ago
0 likes
Mountainboy wrote:

It's pretty much the only way (without a substantial detour) to take the A370 out of Weston-super-Mare to eg Bristol, Portishead, Clevedon etc.

It's been a few years since I was down that way. But as I remember there's a fairly quiet route you can take that goes over a bridge crossing the motorway and then runs on towards Mark. Ride far enough and you can get to Bristol using the country roads.

But this bit of cycle lane is simply stupid. Apparently, it's an improvement.

I'd like to see the councillors who gave approval for it to be required to ride it at peak traffic periods in the morning and evening. I'm sure they'd find the experience of crossing lanes from left to right at a busy junction interesting. I remember that junction and traffic does back up there.

Mountainboy replied to OldRidgeback | 10 years ago
0 likes

There are other routes, and i use them unless I've been unable to get out of the house on time.

But they all add distance, they are back roads that need a fair bit of navigating, and well, should people (that's normal people, not us weirdo committed commuters) have to go out looking for alternatives?

To be frank the junction was a horror for cars, which worked in our favour as speeds were low at peak times. Its much better for motor vehicles now, which is a bummer for cyclists trying to switch lanes and stay safe.

Paul_C | 10 years ago
0 likes
Mountainboy | 10 years ago
0 likes

Bah, sorry.

Tech issues, on an iPad blah blah blah...

Have a look at BBC Points West Facebook page, I can't find it anywhere else.

Dizzy | 10 years ago
0 likes

Clicked on link... it doesn't work?

Latest Comments