Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bit of advice of shaving legs....? (16 y/o)

Hey

So (I don't know if this is normal or awkward but...) I've been cycling MTB and road for over a year now and I'm considering shaving my legs for the simple reason (not that it is more areo - which I'm sure it doesn't make any difference) that it looks pro!
First question, why do cyclists actually shave their legs? I mean the aerodynamic improvements can't be that big.  41

And moving on to the more tricky stuff... How do you actually do it?!
With only being 16, I've never actually wet shaved my face (used an electric razor instead) so the thought of taking a series of blades to my legs is a terrifying prospect!  4

A few complications which have presented themselves having given thought to this issue include:
1) How far up the legs do you go?
2) what kind of razor do you need?
3) how often to you need to re-shave?
4) on the first time of shaving, how do you remove the fluffy hair without clogging up the razor?
5) how long does it take to shave them?
6) how do you reach the backs of the thighs? Surely that requires a lot of contortion!
7) you probably do not have this problem but how can I convince my mum to buy a razor with blades and let me shave my legs? She panicked when my brother started wet shaving saying its pointless and he'd only cut him self?!

Thanks in advance for answering even though I'm possibly being a bit OTT with this issue.  31

Dan

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

45 comments

consciousbadger replied to notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

Is this a good time to post this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000KKNQBK/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link...

24  24  24  24  24

A brilliant time! Made my day!

Comrade | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hilarious! So if shaving your legs is helpful for the medical attention or cleaning up after a crash, how come you dont need to shave the arms and back as well...or those beards or indeed sideburns? Just wondering.

glynr36 replied to Comrade | 10 years ago
0 likes
Comrade wrote:

Hilarious! So if shaving your legs is helpful for the medical attention or cleaning up after a crash, how come you dont need to shave the arms and back as well...or those beards or indeed sideburns? Just wondering.

Legs are usually the first thing to hit the floor when I've crashed.

S13SFC | 10 years ago
0 likes

My wife is very much looking forward to waxing my legs. She clearly knows something I don't!

Al__S | 10 years ago
0 likes

so, I was vaguely considering shaving (but didn't) this evening. There's been discussion of where to stop at the top end, so to speak- but at the far end of the legs? I mean, I've pretty much got hobbit feet, with hair all the way along the top of them and on my toes. If I only shaved down to just below the cuffs of my (strictly mid length, none of this Wiggins style knee socks or worse, "invisible" length ones) then when I'm on the beach, at a swimming pool or just wearing flip flops I'd look bloody odd. So shave EVERYTHING?

Joeinpoole | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm 54 and I have found it perfectly possible to ride a bike all my life, even one with drop-handle bars, without ever shaving my legs.

If you are *paid* to ride a bike then it *might* be important to shave your legs. However, for everyone else, it is just "let's pretend I'm a pro" pseudo-nonsense. Same with those silly helmets that they wear to prove they are 'serious' riders.

Sorry that you feel the pressure to 'conform' at such a young age. My advice would be to enjoy your masculinity through the natural development of your body. You don't *have* to have girly-looking legs to fully appreciate everything that cycling can offer.

KirinChris | 10 years ago
0 likes

@Al_S You don't want wookie shorts mate. Shave up to wherever they will be seen - just stop at the eyebrows.

@Joeinpoole and other sceptics - it isn't simply a matter of conformity. To me, as a regular club and racing cyclist (and I'm 47) it does say something about the person you are riding with.

When I go out with a club group there are inevitably people I don't know. Now you may have a different view but when I'm riding six inches from someone's wheel, or someone is rubbing elbows, I like them to have some idea what they're doing.

It isn't infallible but one makes immediate judgements about people on these rides, simply in the interests of preservation. Decent, well-maintained bike, well-chosen kit and shaved legs tell me that you are likely to be serious about riding and more to the point that you probably know what you're doing when riding in a bunch.

I'm not saying that hairy-legged people in baggy shorts and cheap bikes (or hairy-legged people in head to toe Assos on stupidly expensive bikes for that matter) are incapable of meeting those standards, but I will give them a bit more room and take a little longer to come to a decision.

Al__S | 10 years ago
0 likes

with your "shave to the eyebrows" jest (clearly not reading my post properly?  21 ) I'm now wondering- do the particularly vain wax their chest and back to match their legs? Or does the waistband of your swimming trunks mark a transition from smooth to hairy?

mooleur | 10 years ago
0 likes

Personally, if I were male, I'd do it for the benefit of my poor physio at least. (If you're going to be serious enough about it, you'll more than likely need a massage or therapy session every now and again)

lewis_petrie | 10 years ago
0 likes

What I think is that because you're young enough to still be at school, wait for the next charity event to arise and then put yourself forward for a waxing this means that you get nice hairless legs and you help charity, everyone's a winner

Leviathan replied to Joeinpoole | 10 years ago
0 likes
Joeinpoole wrote:

Same with those silly helmets that they wear to prove they are 'serious' riders.

Oh dear, "those silly helmets" protect people whether you choose to believe it or not.
Helmets are cool, ask these people:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vMfnXIMR_8

Quote:

Sorry that you feel the pressure to 'conform' at such a young age. My advice would be to enjoy your masculinity through the natural development of your body. You don't *have* to have girly-looking legs to fully appreciate everything that cycling can offer.

What? Shaving your legs is conforming? Thanks for the gender stereotypes advise hippy granddad. Just do what you want and be an awesome Human.

BBB replied to KirinChris | 10 years ago
0 likes
abudhabiChris wrote:

When I go out with a club group there are inevitably people I don't know. Now you may have a different view but when I'm riding six inches from someone's wheel, or someone is rubbing elbows, I like them to have some idea what they're doing.

It isn't infallible but one makes immediate judgements about people on these rides, simply in the interests of preservation. Decent, well-maintained bike, well-chosen kit and shaved legs tell me that you are likely to be serious about riding and more to the point that you probably know what you're doing when riding in a bunch.

I'm not saying that hairy-legged people in baggy shorts and cheap bikes (or hairy-legged people in head to toe Assos on stupidly expensive bikes for that matter) are incapable of meeting those standards, but I will give them a bit more room and take a little longer to come to a decision.

In other words, you're prejudiced towards riders who don't conform to your ideal image of a "serious" cyclist.

One look at someone's riding style/speed and leg definition will tell you everything you need yo know about how serious they are about cycling.
Leg shaving and bike/kit have very little to do with it.

Baaa!

Jimbonic replied to consciousbadger | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just read the Amazon reviews whilst at work. I'm now suffering from a hernia and exploding eyes from trying to keep from bursting out in raucous laughter.

I think I'll give Veet a miss, thank you!

onyourbikeinlondon replied to Jimbonic | 10 years ago
0 likes
Jimbonic wrote:

Just read the Amazon reviews whilst at work. I'm now suffering from a hernia and exploding eyes from trying to keep from bursting out in raucous laughter.

I think I'll give Veet a miss, thank you!

You might need to go to A&E after reading these too http://www.amazon.co.uk/Veet-Men-Hair-Removal-Creme/dp/B000KKNQBK/ref=sr...

Waxing all they way for me (no pun intended). I can just about get around to shaving my beard let alone even think about doing my legs!!!

cqexbesd | 10 years ago
0 likes

A bit out of the price range of a 16yo but don't overlook IPL.

Pages

Latest Comments