Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Numb Feet

Just come in from a ride and feet are about to fall off. I have just bought Shimano Blaze overshoes and dont want to change, I currently use Endura Baa Baa Merino socks, and as my shoes are snug can't have two pairs on. Does anyone have recommendations of very warm socks, which aren't too thick

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

clwydrider | 10 years ago
0 likes

Make sure your shoes are warm before you put them on. Stops the heat going from your feet to warm the shoes before you have even left the house.

big mick | 10 years ago
0 likes

There's one that always works at this time of year.12 weeks in Tenerife

Matt eaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've used carrier bags to good effect, particuarally effective if your shoes are wet/damp (as mine often are on a monday after CX on a sunday).

The same concept works with hands. A set of latex or nitrile gloves under your regular gloves works wonders if its really cold.

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Deep heat.

Dr_Lex | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's also worth considering better leg insulation; keep the limbs warm and you're more likely to keep the extremities at a comfortable temperature. See also: cold hands.

FMOAB | 10 years ago
0 likes

Silk sock liners, no matter how snug your shoes are there's probably space for them. Less than a Tenner for a pair designed for skiing from decathlon.

pants | 10 years ago
0 likes

any insulation on your feet on top of your socks would work, I rode last year's hell of ashdown with a dog poo bag on each feet in freezing conditions, all my friends complained of numb feet but mine were fine.

Jack Osbourne snr replied to pants | 10 years ago
0 likes
pants wrote:

any insulation on your feet on top of your socks would work, I rode last year's hell of ashdown with a dog poo bag on each feet in freezing conditions, all my friends complained of numb feet but mine were fine.

Many an audaxer has bagged their feet in a variety of plastics from poo bags/nappy sacs to full sized carrier bags! I also once heard a story about the bottom of plastic milk cartons cable tied to pedals to act as wind proofing for the whole front of the shoe (ingenious if true!)

I've personally ripped the corners off carrier bags in desperation and found them to be surprisingly effective as internal toe covers in the shoes. Tinfoil works better though.

The OP request though was for socks... I have a couple of pairs of fairly cheap M&S merino socks that performed well. Having looked recently the merino content has been lowered significantly but is still about the same as a lot of sport/smartwool fabric.

Jack Osbourne snr | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the tinfoil tootsy covers.

Socks on first followed by a wrap of tinfoil round the toes then your shoes and overshoes.

You could try this with thinner socks just in case you are already constricting the blood flow in your feet with your current socks. Lowered blood flow = colder feet.

You can also wrap more foil around the toe section of your shoes but this only makes a big difference if your overshoes aren't very windproof.

glynr36 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Mine Assos Fugu feel a similar thickness as baa baas but feel warmer.
Sure it's the cold, and not the fact a thicker sock means the shoe is a 'tighter' fit.
With over shoes I can get away with spring/autumn socks rather than winters.

Shanefutcher | 10 years ago
0 likes

Great tip from matt Stephens is to wrap tin foil around toes before putting in your shoes.it works a treat

Velo_Alex | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'd second the Vulpine merino. Not thick, but warm and really comfortable. Kept my feet warm on a 2 1/2 hour ride in constant rain and wind after I forgot overshoes.

Also check out these from Bontrager, great socks for long cold rides http://bontrager.com/model/11345

Velo_Alex | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'd second the Vulpine merino. Not thick, but warm and really comfortable. Kept my feet warm on a 2 1/2 hour ride in constant rain and wind after I forgot overshoes.

Also check out these from Bontrager, great socks for long cold rides http://bontrager.com/model/11345

stuke | 10 years ago
0 likes

I was given some Vulpine long merino socks for Christmas and they are the best I've used for warmth and comfort plus they aren't very thick at all.

Latest Comments