Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The very, very childish OS place names thread

Here's my starter for ten. I'm guessing this one can run and run...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

87 comments

The.MVP | 7 years ago
0 likes
bertisfantastic | 7 years ago
1 like
madcarew | 7 years ago
0 likes

Used to live near Greater and Lesser Snoring in Norfolk, used to drive through Newton-with-scales and Newton-without-scales going to my sister-in-laws.

brooksby | 7 years ago
0 likes

My kids are always pleased to see Jackament's Bottom, on the edge of the Cotswolds.

willvousden | 7 years ago
0 likes

Bell End, near Birmingham always tickled me:

//i.imgur.com/8rpohwb.png)

El Camino | 7 years ago
0 likes

No word of a lie, it's quite a stiff climb up to Bell End in Rowley Regis.

fukawitribe replied to lagging behind | 8 years ago
0 likes
lagging behind wrote:

I was telling my work colleagues about this and someone point out Brown Willy in Cornwall http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=215500&y=79500&z=120&sv=brown+willy&st=...

Blimey - Brown Willy seems to be right next to Catshole, that can't be right....

kil0ran replied to Jimbomitch | 7 years ago
0 likes

Jimbomitch wrote:

The Lady Place Car Park is in Alton I believe( As is Butts Road) ........ I often park in the Lady Place.......

Grew up in Butts Road, Dad's initials are BJ

endless fun...

Lower Upham always made me smile (best punctuated for comedy effect Lower, Upham)

Further afield there is a place hallowed by everyone into burly chocaholic truckers, Yorkeys Knob

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkeys_Knob,_Queensland

Kapelmuur replied to Man of Lard | 7 years ago
1 like

Man of Lard wrote:

When we got out driving licences (and managed to wangle the use of a car) we used to whip up the A1 to Shilbottle just south of Alnwick in Northumberland with a roll of ¾" tape to change the first "L" on all the signs to a "T" (none of this using marker pens for us - we were professionals yes - so they would often be there for weeks and of course left adhesive behind which attracted dirt and redid the puerile defacement) - I still chuckle as I pass by.

My pal who lives on Ankers Lane complains about people like you...

Man of Lard replied to Kapelmuur | 7 years ago
0 likes

Kapelmuur wrote:

My pal who lives on Ankers Lane complains about people like you...

In my defence, I was young and foolish and it was nearly 30 years go now...

Stratman replied to Man of Lard | 7 years ago
0 likes

Man of Lard wrote:

When we got out driving licences (and managed to wangle the use of a car) we used to whip up the A1 to Shilbottle just south of Alnwick in Northumberland with a roll of ¾" tape to change the first "L" on all the signs to a "T" (none of this using marker pens for us - we were professionals yes - so they would often be there for weeks and of course left adhesive behind which attracted dirt and redid the puerile defacement) - I still chuckle as I pass by.

Stewart Lee built a whole routine on this, which he used in his BBC show a couple of years back,  and praised the thoroughness of the work (all the signs). 

PaulW101 | 8 years ago
0 likes

On Orkney...

farrell replied to PaulW101 | 8 years ago
0 likes
PaulW101 wrote:

On Orkney...

I once had to make a phone call to the post office at Twatt, the postmistress was not impressed and told me rather promptly and dryly "It's pronounced "Twart".

The bosses were also unimpressed that I was shouting across the office that I had Twatt on the phone.

vonhelmet | 8 years ago
0 likes

There's a Thongsbridge somewhere in Yorkshire, not far from Holmfirth.

ladystannard | 8 years ago
0 likes

You can see Lord Hereford's knob from Hay on Way, and towards Woebley you pass The Lady Gardens. There is a wonderfully named valley in Dorset called Scratchy Bottom  2

fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Dead Womans Bottom is still one of my favourites, all sorts of gags available...

fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Dead Womans Bottom is still one of my favourites, all sorts of gags available...

Edit: Oh fuck me this is one of the zombie threads from the site ructions...

cactuscat replied to fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:

Edit: Oh fuck me this is one of the zombie threads from the site ructions...

no matter, a snigger's a snigger  4

petertaylor123 | 8 years ago
0 likes

On my JoGLE last year, we went through,
"Cocklake"
I was laughing for the next 100miles!

Plus while skiing in Aspen a few years back, there was a lift and a hill called "Sam's Knob"
There was actually a guy with us on the trip called Sam.
I kid you not!
That provided ENDLESS hilarity!
(Plus,,,we all got to have a ride on it and then slide down it! The lift and ski slope you dirty people!,,

PonteD | 8 years ago
0 likes
PonteD | 8 years ago
0 likes

There's going to be lots of puffing and panting from the pro's round the back of "Gay Lane" in Otley at Next Sunday's Tour deYorkshire as they head up the East Chevin https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/40+Gay+Ln,+Otley+LS21+1BR,+UK/@53.902016,-1.689747,18z

OldRidgeback | 8 years ago
0 likes

Fucking in Austria or Intercourse in Pennsylvania

arfa | 8 years ago
0 likes

Chortle

JonD replied to arfa | 8 years ago
0 likes
arfa wrote:

Chortle

The Lickey Hills in the midlands have a village called Lickey End...
- rat's, someone's beaten me to it !

egb | 10 years ago
1 like

//2.bp.blogspot.com/_cbQ2Ac5KI04/TOqe5k8_w4I/AAAAAAAAAQs/Szqyfg4dyg4/s1600/big-bone-lick-state-park.jpg)

Bob's Bikes | 10 years ago
0 likes

And this one just made me ill

Bob's Bikes | 10 years ago
0 likes

Not quite sure whether they meant the place or the people

mintimperial | 10 years ago
1 like

"Where do you live?"
"Erm, well..."

Not rude, but this one always raises a smile:

RabAusten | 10 years ago
1 like

Wetwang!

Gromski | 10 years ago
1 like

Anyone in the market for a country property...?

Pages

Latest Comments