Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The very, very childish OS place names thread

Here's my starter for ten. I'm guessing this one can run and run...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

87 comments

Ian Miles | 8 years ago
0 likes

Rode through Wilsford Cum Lake a couple of weeks ago (not literally  21 )

kwi | 8 years ago
1 like

//mt1.googleapis.com/vt?pb=!1m4!1m3!1i12!2i1965!3i1294!2m3!1e0!2sm!3i293000000!3m9!2sen-US!3sUS!5e18!12m1!1e47!12m3!1e37!2m1!1ssmartmaps!4e0)

Still the best place name. Especially for these guys,
http://www.muffdivingclub.ie/

Kapelmuur | 8 years ago
0 likes

Almost 50 posts and the Piddles have not been mentioned  13

Sandyc66 | 8 years ago
1 like

Near Buxton in Derbyshire,
Flash
And further down the road,
Flash Bottom.

lagging behind | 8 years ago
0 likes

I was telling my work colleagues about this and someone point out Brown Willy in Cornwall http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=215500&y=79500&z=120&sv=brown+willy&st=...

Judge dreadful | 8 years ago
0 likes

Here are a few, from my recent travels.

DanTe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Al__S | 8 years ago
0 likes

I do love a good fast run into Six Mile Bottom

joemmo | 8 years ago
0 likes

I like a good thrash around Spital Tongues in Newcastle Upon Tyne

divingrob | 8 years ago
0 likes

Right up my street  36

Jimbomitch | 8 years ago
0 likes

The Lady Place Car Park is in Alton I believe( As is Butts Road) ........ I often park in the Lady Place.......

HowardR | 8 years ago
0 likes

My journey to & from work takes me past Cock Lane (EC1A 9BW) and Cumming Street (N1 9HW) - Oooh! Matron

dottigirl | 8 years ago
0 likes

From the other thread, Newdigate (near Dorking).

youngoldbloke | 8 years ago
0 likes

Anyone mentioned Sodom (Dauntsey) in Wiltshire yet? Then there is Cock Road in Rowde, near Devizes.

0 likes

Shitterton near Bere Regis. That one always makes me laugh. Cocking hill, and the Cocking Causeway, around Cocking in West Sussex, I nearly fell off my bike laughing at that little lot last Sunday.  24 . I've got a Winkle street just round the corner from where I live too  21

louigy | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you want to really mucky there is slutshole lane in Attleborough in Norfolk

Kingrolo | 8 years ago
0 likes

This make me laugh everytime I pass https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.325744,-5.133112,3a,52y,46.23h,83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJgGBRnxZmRlejOFpNBTYoA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Jimbonic | 8 years ago
0 likes

To get to (I guess it's the old Manchester City ground - I'm not a footballist!), you had to go up Back Passage!

pirnie | 8 years ago
0 likes

This one always amuses me too:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.610284,-1.802697,3a,61.8y,310.68h,86.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMeaal7JAkPdqesU7k2iDuA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Sadly Biggins | 8 years ago
0 likes

One of my reasonably regular routes goes through Cock Green. I'm sure there's a cream for that though.

0 likes

Danger Dicko | 8 years ago
0 likes

In Shepshed near Loughboro there's a Butthole Lane.

The local football team, Shepshed Dynamo have their ground on the road. Their fans sing "if you like it up the Butthole clap your hands".

Bob's Bikes | 7 years ago
0 likes

Saw this the other day and thought to myself got to add this to the list.

21xtreme | 7 years ago
0 likes

some good name places  on ere

Man of Lard | 7 years ago
1 like

When I was growing up, Whittonstall Road in Chopwell, Co Durham (as it was then - Gateshead now) was called "Fanny Bush Lane"... the council changed the name in 2009 either because the street signs kept getting nicked or suddenly people didn't like living on Fanny Bush Lane... 

When we got out driving licences (and managed to wangle the use of a car) we used to whip up the A1 to Shilbottle just south of Alnwick in Northumberland with a roll of ¾" tape to change the first "L" on all the signs to a "T" (none of this using marker pens for us - we were professionals yes - so they would often be there for weeks and of course left adhesive behind which attracted dirt and redid the puerile defacement) - I still chuckle as I pass by.

Lamb Henry | 7 years ago
0 likes

On  a recent ride I passed through Cockpole Green and then later on the ride on a climb out of Henly I passed through Lower Assendon followed by Middle Assendon. As I continued I had my fingers crossed I would see Upper Assendon but alas there was no such place, however I was greeted by "Pishill" instead.

Lamb Henry | 7 years ago
0 likes

Forgot to add Morphany Lane in Cheshire.

0 likes

This thread always reminds me of the old adage;-

If Ty-phoo put the T in Britain who put the C**T in Scunthorpe?

2 likes

Pages

Latest Comments