Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheels - Racing 5 or Scirocco/Zonda

My Mavic Aksiums have finally had enough and so time to replace them. I ride a Canyon Roadlite, it's my only bike and used for commuting (approx. 110miles a week) plus the odd long weekend ride too.

At my price point I've narrowed it down to Fulcrum Racing 5 or Campagnolo Scirocco, given that my Mavics are the only road wheels I've ever used I'm looking for some advice or feedback from people that have any of these.

I also came across the Campag Zonda for circa £250
http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/p/39479/Campagnolo-2013-Zonda-Wheelset#/images....

Bit more expensive than the Sciroccos but are they much better? And is Campag a better option than Fulcrum anyway?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

gthornton101 | 10 years ago
0 likes

cheers everyone. In the end I've opted for the Fulcrum 5s  1

I know the Zondas are a good price, but I found the Fulcrums for £158 in Ribble January Sale, which even with a new set of tyres gives me change from a set of the Zondas.

dunnoh | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have the new 2014 Fulcrum 5's and like you I commute and ride at the weekends. They really are superb. I'm heavy and they don't flex and I've hit things in the dark at speed that make me think I have done real damage, but no, they are fine. However, the rim tape is rubbish and they have very rough edges on the inners. In addition I have had 20 odd flats in a few months and I have just bought cloth rim tape, Kevlar bandage and thicker tubes as its driving me bonkers. Maybe I'm unlucky but its something to bear in mind

othello | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Zonda wheels! I've had mine for a couple of years and they are excellent. They also cope with my 14-15st weight (variable depending on cake eating level) remarkably well!

Gareth W-R | 10 years ago
0 likes

My racing 5 are really nice to ride on compared to the stock Miche reflex that came on my bike.
Feel a lot smoother on the road and a little bit quicker ( maybe that's just me ) they have stayed true over 1500 miles and spin great!
If you can get the zondas for a good price though I would opt for them.

pants | 10 years ago
0 likes

I think Zondas are basically Fulcrum 3s with a different spoke pattern and stickers.

stubrant | 10 years ago
0 likes

Can't comment on the wheels you have mentioned but I have had Fulcrum 7s for a year and I think they are great. I commute 250Km a week.

As for the shop GB Cycles - this is just down the road from me - its a great Road Bike shop run and staffed by racing nuts. You could do worse than give them a call as they certainly know their stuff and have a great sale on at the moment.

gthornton101 replied to stubrant | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks everyone for the comments, much appreciated.

@stubrant will do!

sorebones | 10 years ago
0 likes

I cannot comment specifically on the wheelsets you mention, but I have owned Fulcrum 7's and Racing Zero's, and Campag Eurus. All were utterly brilliant in their own right, fantastic hubs (far more reliable than Mavic in my experience).

I don't think you'll go wrong which ever you chose, but don't be put off Fulcrum because they are the smaller brother of Campagnolo, their wheels are superb and well built IME. The final decision might come down to looks - not everyone is a fan of the Campag 3 spoke cluster thing on the rear wheel.

stuke | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'd deffo go for the Zonda's at that price, they are great wheels and a good weight to. All of the Campag wheels I've had are well built - I'm currently running Scirroco 35mm's and the Vento's, I had Zonda's but sold them with a bike and regretted it ever since.

aslongasicycle | 10 years ago
0 likes

Always been a fan of Zondas. So, er, Zondas! Silly price too....Tempting...

Nixster | 10 years ago
0 likes

Campag and Fulcrum same-same. Campag own Fulcrum.

At your price point have you written off Mavic? You can usually get better deals on Mavic wheels by shopping around than on the Italian jobs I found. Second hand RS80s from all those people moving to 11 speed might also be an option depending on your current set-up.

Someone will be along shortly to recommend hand built wheels involving Mavic Open Pro rims, which will be heavier and not as visually appealing as your nominated options but last forever as long as you keep replacing rims/spokes/bearings.  3

Latest Comments