Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

finding myself hungry after big rides for couple of days is this normal?

Iv just started doin about 40 mile or so every ride but im finding that im hungry for a couple of days after. Im eating healthy and getting enough protine I am type 2 diabetic could this be part of the issue?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Shades | 10 years ago
0 likes

I increased my mileage over the summer and agree with all the comments above. When I've got the 'munchies' I do try and stick to healthy/low fat alternatives, rather than head straight for a custard slice. I was initially slightly worried about the quantities I was eating but my weight still dropped. Just shows the benefit of cycling; my riding was predominantly commuting (an hour each way) and trying to maintain a 17-18 mph average. With other work commitments I was only managing this twice a week, but it still made a big difference.

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hunger is there to help you. Hunger makes food taste fantastic. If you are afraid of ever feeling hungry you won't make progress. You must never starve yourself, but it is a good thing that the dinner bell is ringing.

Jimmy Carr* is a good example here. He claims to have lost weight by simply not eating after 9pm. I wouldn't take it that far but if you can be half an hour away from feeling hungry when you go to bed it doesn't matter when you are asleep. Have a yoghurt for supper to tide you through. You will wake up hungry for breakfast. So have a hearty dinner when you get in, it is what you do after that that is important.

*Yes that Jimmy Carr, tax dodging, teeth whitening, smutty punist.

Shanefutcher | 10 years ago
0 likes

I trust what my body tells me.i run and cycle every day and eat huge amounts of fruit,veg,meat and fair amounts of sugar.after a big training ride or sportive people are amazed how much i eat in the few days following

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1 to Psycling's post, you need expert advice. I suggest you check your blood values more frequently too and don't rely solely on how you feel each day.

In the meantime there's lots of general info available already:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cycling+advice+for+diabetic

Psycling | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm sure that the diabetes will be an issue. Insulin dependant diabetics would have to adjust their levels according to the number of calories burnt during exercise and how much they eat afterwards. If I were you I would discuss your increased exercise with your GP or diabetic nurse.

SamShaw | 10 years ago
0 likes

How much do you eat before, during and immediately after the ride?

I used to struggle with this but now know how much I need to pack in before a ride and during. Something full of protein after the ride always helps me, usually I'll have a pint of whole milk while whatever it is I'm having is cooking. Sometimes I'll have a For Goodness Shakes, but milk is just as good.

Getting your eating right in the time around the ride might be worth a look.

userfriendly | 10 years ago
0 likes

My daily commute is about 40 miles, and I've experienced the same thing. Turns out I simply needed to up my calorie intake accordingly. It's all good, you're burning them all off again.  4

Depending on how much you exert yourself during those rides you can easily have a deficit of 1,500 - 2,000 calories afterwards. That would make you hungry indeed.

(In fact I've still lost several kilograms over the past few months despite eating more)

TL;DR - Listen to your body. Eat more.

Latest Comments