Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Kinesis TK3 Alternatives? Advice please.

Hi all, after a recent accident I find myself in possesion of a functioning Tiagra groupset but lacking the frame to go with it. I only have a budget of around £500, maybe a bit more, to buy what will be the frame for my one and only bike and as such am looking for an all-rounder that will help me make the most of my Saturday club rides but also stand up to the rigours of commuting and the occasional bit of light touring. I am willing to sacrifice a bit of comfort for extra speed but rack and mudguard mounts are a must.

The Kinesis TK3 (soon to be rebranded the 4S, I gather) ticks all the right boxes and may well be what I end up with but I just wondered if anyone could suggest other options, either aluminium or steel I might consider? I do have a personal, not entirely logical preference for British or smaller companies...

Many thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

davegreen70 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Enigma have launched a nice looking steel frame for £525 - the Ezona.
Looks like a nice bit of kit

k_a_r_e_l | 9 years ago
0 likes

Take a look at Kona Zone (cheepest model). Also comes with all the eyelets you want and clearance for mudguards. Looks nice too.

HowardR | 10 years ago
0 likes

A Genesis Equilibrium -in 725 format.

My bikes include an Equilibrium 20 and in short - Wow  4

thereandbackagain | 10 years ago
0 likes

Surly Cross Check frameset plus an aftermarket carbon fork would come in at less than £500. So would the Surly Pacer. The Pacer users caliper brakes, the CC uses cantis.

That way you have a steel frame bossed for mudguards and loaded touring, a matching steel fork for heavier touring loads if you wanted too (if you went for the CC), or the option of a lighter CF fork that would do you for club runs and credit card tours. Or racing Cyclocross!

Plus, it's as tough as you like.

I've got a fair few bikes, but if you were going to put a gun to my head and tell me I could only keep one it would be the Cross Check. One of the most versatile frames you can buy.

clwydrider | 10 years ago
0 likes

I bought a tk3 last April. Built up with veloce and khamsins it takes a very close second to my 953 Rourkie. I don't think you can go wrong with it. Nice and comfortable but also responsive and stiff, I am sure you could race it if you wanted. I would like to try the Ribble steel winter frame, it looks very nice and a lot of my riding mates are very happy with their alu winter frames.

giobox | 10 years ago
0 likes

As an all year round bike the TK3 doesn't really have any rivals - to my knowledge it's still the only road frame to combine a racy tapered steerer, crit bike style geometry and full size mud guard and rack mounts. Which is precisely why I bought one for myself.

If you have to have mud guard mounts and a rack stop looking and get a TK3!

TimC340 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have a Tk3, and the Racelight T from way back in 2004. I also have a number of other bikes including a titanium Ritchey, a carbon Look, a USA-built Cannondale CAAD 8 etc. The Tk3 is, without doubt, the best ride of the lot. Quick-steering, stiff but not uncomfortable, light enough, able to accommodate 28s under full mudguards, and it can take a rack too. It's a genuine year-round, do-it-all bike - pretty much the same geometry as the Ti GranFondo which has done so well in the Road CC Superbike Shootout at a third of the price (f&f). Mine's built with Ultegra and Ksyriums, but it's damn near as good with Tiagra and Aksiums.

Buy it.

Tjuice | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have a Ribble Audax (which you can probably get in frameset form) as my winter bike, and I see them on London's roads very, very frequently.

BUT, were I replacing it, I would probably buy a TK3 instead (not having ever ridden one, but I have just never felt as good/fast on my Ribble Audax as on most of my other bikes). Never heard anyone say a bad word about the TK3

Latest Comments