Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Metric Century Challenge

We have completed the first years Metric Century Challenge, and I have a few suggestions.

Should we start a new thread for this years challenge to keep it neat and tidy. Also start a new metric century chat thread too.

I think we should not worry about getting in one scoring ride every month, that way it is a bit more inclusive, and people won't feel like they can't join in if they either miss a month or don't see it until later in the year.

Lastly, can I claim longest ride - 225.3km

Highest score in a month - June, 7 points

Highest total score - 54 points

That was a good year, and the challenge meant there were times when I used it as a good excuse to put in more miles, and times when it forced me to stay out when I really fancied going home...

I have a few challenges this coming year that require me to get some good miles in, so will be in again this year.

What did I win Tony and Dave?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

139 comments

Blackhound | 13 years ago
0 likes

Like Martin I have often extended rides to achieve a metric century. Last weekend did the tour of the peak sportive. Was going ok to Glossop where we stopped at a cafè. Struggled up snake pass & headwind all the way home. Glad to finish...

DaSy | 13 years ago
0 likes

Back to my home ground in the Chilterns for a nice hilly, midweek 70 miles. The sun was shining, the roads were quiet and the world was a good place (plus, not being at work just made it that much better!).

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

My last one was the Mayhem sportive recce - see the home page for more details of that! who's coming?

0 likes

Not coming Dave, I will be flying back from the Alps that day. Will have to make do with a quick blast up Alpe d' Huez in the morning instead.

Next week I should be earning 3 points on Saturday with a bit of luck. Alfreton to Skegness and back.... A lot further than I have ridden before!

0 likes
Quote:

Will have to make do with a quick blast up Alpe d' Huez in the morning instead

hard life...

you got a 300k on the boil then? i was thinking of doing one this year. like you, it'll be a big leap...

0 likes

Yes, a 300k audax. Its a few years since I did a 200 but this should be reasonably flat so hoping it is just a case of turning pedals. What can possible go wrong?

0 likes
Quote:

What can possibly go wrong?

what indeed.

did the forest of dean spring classic today. turns out there's quite a lot of climbing in the forest of dean, if you look in right places...  1

DaSy | 13 years ago
0 likes

Saturdays 100k was intended to see how my FTP work was coming on, and was my usual flat-ish route out and back round Windsor Castle.

Pleased to see that it was completed in under 3 hours total ride time, including traffic lights etc, of which there are quite a few on the route (I don't much believe in setting my computer to auto-pause, as that is an easy way to keep grabbing rests and pretend to have a good ride in my eyes).

So training may be starting to come together...I bloody hope so anyway, as I now have around 4 weeks of training time left before I have to taper ready for Ventoux.

DaSy | 13 years ago
0 likes

Torture in the Chilterns again. This is a ride I haven't done for a while, and clocks up 100 miles and over 2000 metres of ascent.

It takes you into the Hambledon valley, then climbs every road out of either side of the valley, and weaves a convoluted course to take you back up any that you came down previously. There are some pretty tough little climbs, with the steepest hitting 27%, and most of them going over 16%.

I have been making a concious effort to start eating earlier in the ride, starting within the first 30 mins, and having a bite of something every 20 minutes, and am finishing these kind of rides so much stronger and fresher.

0 likes

300k this weekend. It was the Alfreton to Skegness audax and we started at 0600 in light rain although we did have a heavy shower mid morning. the first 160k was into a headwind and was really tough up by the coast. The group I was in suffered 7 punctures of which I had the first - all causing delay.

Wind behind on the return leg and I suffered a couple of bad patches, also a clumsy fall on street furniture 2km from the end due to tiredness. Finished just after midnight.

A great experience - would be nice to do one again in milder conditions.

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

blackhound - was that your first 300km, not done one myself but aim to start that kind of thing next year (more time etc etc).

good effort, what with the headwind and all.

dave atkinson replied to Blackhound | 13 years ago
0 likes

top work BH! been lining one of those up myself, hopefully i'll be able to fit it in...

0 likes

Yes, it was my first. Have done 3 200's but not for a couple of years.

Just a matter of perserverance really - eating and drinking etc. It was a fairly flat course but the wind was tough.

I heard that the first finisher took 1.5 hours longer than usual.....

Martin Thomas | 13 years ago
0 likes

Wow - well done Blackhound, that's very impressive. Not sure I could do that.

I had to stop 16km short of a double on Saturday - just ran out of time. Grrr.

DaSy | 13 years ago
0 likes

Nice work Blackhound, that is a lot of pedalling in a day!

Todays mid-week ride was a windy 85 miles across the Downs and into Oxford for a pit-stop at Zappi's for a chat, bacon and brie pannini and a Team Casquette, cafe's don't get better than Zappi's.

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

a very wet and windy imperial 100miles, or 162km on the 'Blackratcycle' sportive..but a great route..all the steep hills up and over the mendips, lovely..seem to spend quite a bit of time overtaking people on the hills only to be overtaken by them on the flats..got a respectable time of 6hrs 13.

Jon Burrage | 13 years ago
0 likes

Havnt commented here for a while..

April century - 100+km ride in Krabi, Thailand from our hotel in Ao Nang with a local guide on mountain bikes down tracks, trails, through rivers etc, along beaches. Was easily the nicest (and toughest) metric century Ive done due to the 37degree heat and crazy levels of humidity.

May century - 101km mtb ride through the peak district on saturday. I dont own a mountain bike but the nice guys at Paliap loaned me a Hei Hei Supreme full susser xc bike to see me through, it did more than that, it was fantastic and I want one. Thanks for that. The rides were gorgeous, busy in places due to the weather but very testing in the heat. Loved it.

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

hey Jon forget the MTB, get a cross bike for the winter and blast round Ashton court/Leigh Woods and scare the MTB'rs..  4

(thats my plan, if i can raise enough cash on ebay for a crosser that is)

Jon Burrage | 13 years ago
0 likes

Its amazing what peoplen will buy on ebay, Im finding out now! Raising money for a deposit on a house.

I am hoping that I can buy an ex demo mtb or kona crosser from paligap.....

DaSy | 13 years ago
0 likes

Wednesdays ride was a bit different...

95 miles and around 4700m of ascent that saw me climb Mont Ventoux from all three sides in a day.

All went well, and recorded some pretty reasonable times; Bedoin climb in 1hr 30, Maulacene in 1hr 40 and finally Sault in 1hr 30.

Also got to record my first ever 100km/h descent on both Maulacene and Bedoin. My wife even managed a picture of me in front of the car with the car speedo showing 58mph.

I am now an official member of the Club des Cingles du Mont Ventoux...happy days.

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

hey DaSy good going. do you get a certificate?

its now on my 'to do list', although i might just shy away from the 100km downhill bit as im a bit sketchy on the descents..

DaSy | 13 years ago
0 likes

You get your name on the roll of honour on the website, and I think you may get a medal, if my very poor French translation skills are correct!

I have to send off my stamped up brevet card to Mr Pic in France, then I get my medal (I think), and hopefully the card back, although I have photograped it just in case.

It is a good day in the saddle, thoroughly recommended.

The weather is always the major unknown in it all, I had to endure insane wind that was actually blowing people off their bikes at the top. There was at one point, two guys blown off onto the ground by the summit, and hanging onto their bikes like brollies, as they waved out in front of them. I also saw one guy lying ontop of his bike to stop him and it blowing away!

It made each trip to the summit a fairly daunting experience, but I somehow got away with it...three times!

DaSy | 13 years ago
0 likes

Last three metrics have been an unexpected pleasure.

Friday was from Bourg St Maurice to the Col D'Iseran and back plus a bit.

Saturday was from B-S-M up via the Cormet de Roselend and down to Beaufort, then back up via the Col de Pre and back over the Roselend.

Sunday was B-S-M over the Col de Petit St Bernard and down into Italy to Pre St Didier for lunch, then back over the Petit St Bernard and back to Bourg.

Back home tomorrow, but for now I'm enjoying the view out over the Alps!

demoff | 13 years ago
0 likes

Peter S is back off his holidays.

0 likes

DaSy - sounds like you've been living the dream  1

DaSy replied to dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

DaSy - sounds like you've been living the dream  1

Yeah, I kind of have.

A few weeks ago I was in Provence to complete the Club de Cingles, and then after being back for only a week, I was made redundant from my job, and so as a way of consoling me, my missus pretty much insisted that I go on a trip with my mates to the Alps that I had rejected earlier in the year in favour of Ventoux!

The Alps trip was a joy, we stopped to watch the TdF on the way down (stage 5), which was great (although my mate caught a Euskatel bidon and I got nothing!).

We had three great days of riding in the high mountains, and some superb descents, plus lots of good coffee of course.

Now to find a job I suppose....

0 likes

Good luck with the job hunt DaSy. My metric century challenge total is largely attributable to a bit of an employment slump of my own...

0 likes

Today's ton was one of the most enjoyable yet. I joined the Brighton Mitre social ride, which split in two - fast & slow (although we were assured the fast wouldn't be all that fast and the slow wouldn't be all that slow). I chose the quicker group, still feeling slightly cocky after my LEJOG.

We set off at a brisk pace and it seemed to keep getting brisker - to the point where 'brisk' no longer seemed to quite do it justice. It was more 'quick' really.

Now I'm back on the beer there was none of the clarity of mind and body that I've been enjoying for the past few months. I was mildly hungover and a bit tired following a late, boozy night on Thursday followed by an ill-advised bout of late afternoon lager drinking at my kids' school summer picnic yesterday.

So the hills were hurting and the sweat was toxic, but I clung on and the grimace on my face slowly turned into a smile as the miles slipped by. The group thinned out near the end - particularly when the decision was taken to 'do Bostal' - Bostal Road near Steyning is a notorious local hill over the Downs that sensible people don't generally go anywhere near on bicycles, particularly when they've just cycled 50 miles.

Bostal was a sweaty grunt and I didn't particularly enjoy it, but the ride from Sompting back along the coast road to Brighton was an absolute blast. We were trucking along at 27-28mph in single file with the breeze behind us and big grins plastered across our faces (well, I had one on mine anyway - I suspect the serious Mitre riders probably just looked deadpan and effortless).

I was on the edge of my capabilities several times during the ride but could never quite bring myself to give up. By the time I got home I was knackered and aching a bit, but happier than I've been since I got to the top of Helmsdale a couple of weeks back. Ah, the recuperative powers of cycling  1

demoff | 13 years ago
0 likes

Peter S led his Annual CRC Sportif yesterday rather than making it a hilly route as in previous years, he decided just to include 5 big climbs.

For those that that know the Lancashire area we rode, the steep side of Jeffrey hill before tackling Nick O' Pendle from Sabden side then on to Waddington Fell and Boundary finishing off with that local legend that is Jubilee with a fast descent to give the legs a final stretch over Quernmore Valley. Peter also managed to include Three Steps and the 1 in 4 Brocks Bank as extras to spice things up on the way out to Jeffrey. His local knowledge is encyclopedic and he will no doubt be along later to register his latest metric.

0 likes

i had a nice pootle out to wales on friday to go to a stag do in ystradgynlais (don't ask). lanes to the old severn bridge, then over to usk and abergavenny for tea and cakes at a friend's house. round the back of the brecons on the lanes then over to sennybridge and up over the crai pass. managed to stay up fairly late afterwards, too  1

Pages

Latest Comments