Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Metric Century Challenge

We have completed the first years Metric Century Challenge, and I have a few suggestions.

Should we start a new thread for this years challenge to keep it neat and tidy. Also start a new metric century chat thread too.

I think we should not worry about getting in one scoring ride every month, that way it is a bit more inclusive, and people won't feel like they can't join in if they either miss a month or don't see it until later in the year.

Lastly, can I claim longest ride - 225.3km

Highest score in a month - June, 7 points

Highest total score - 54 points

That was a good year, and the challenge meant there were times when I used it as a good excuse to put in more miles, and times when it forced me to stay out when I really fancied going home...

I have a few challenges this coming year that require me to get some good miles in, so will be in again this year.

What did I win Tony and Dave?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

139 comments

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

A quick mid-week metric saw me riding 63 miles into sleet, rain and wind, but for some reason I enjoyed every minute...

My usual flat-ish 63 mile out and back, doing a loop round Windsor Castle, was done in reasonable time. The bike needs a good clean up though, ready for a spin in the Valleys of S. Wales this weekend.

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Well, I think todays ride should qualify as an epic. I rode a similar loop in the Valleys to the one I did a few weeks ago, with one major exception...the weather!

I rode 85 miles and 4 mountain passes, and each one was into a headwind of at least 30mph, with sleet that was genuinly hurting my face to the point that I had to pull my neck-warmer up over my cheeks just to soften the blow a bit.

At one point over the Beacons, I was riding into such a wind that despite going down a -7% slope, I had to drop to the 39x22 to keep above 10mph! This wind and hail stayed against me over the Rhigos and the Bwlch. The climb over the Bwlch was insane, and I was leaning at about 25' to stay upright. The descent was much like the last, and had me in the 39 tooth again just to keep going forward.

So 85 miles and 2500m of ascent, all into a hurricane and horizontal sleet...good training for the Club des Cingles I think.

I was still smiling when I got home, but only just!

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

hey DaSy, sounds like fun! (well when your back home and dry at any rate) any chance you can tell us what route you are doing please, just the basics like A road this and then B road that if you dont do a 'map my bike ride thing'.
just asking as i may have a few family free days over easter and may well try to get over to wales for a ride.

cheers.

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Hi Fringe, here's a cut down one of the ride I did yesterday. I have removed the stuff that takes you to and from my house, so is about 75 miles now. I started this one from the roundabout just off J43 of the M4. If you take the junction then at the roundabout take the (3rd?) exit onto the A465 toward Neath. After a mile or so take the exit (signed Neath again I think) onto the A474 bearing left toward Neath Abbey. There is a short flyover that takes you straight to another roundabout with a big Tesco superstore as the first exit left. This is where the route starts, so you could take a chance and park in there, or take the second exit and park in any of the roads off left or right.

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=104952

Cheers, Si.

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Oh, and Fringe, could you download a copy of that route as a GPX or something, so that I can clear out my BRT routes folder as it is a bit on the overflowing side.

Let me know when you have a copy and I'll remove it...

TwiggyHo | 14 years ago
0 likes

nice day for it today, the boyfriend dragged me out and I did my first metric! YAY! bit late to join the party though.

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

I think I should get extra points for todays training...I got up extra early to get my 120km ride in, now Im off for a 20km run. Surely that is worth 1.5 points at least!  4 bloody ironman training, the bain of my life now!

skippy | 14 years ago
0 likes

OFF SUBJECT

www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com offers link to op to win a trek madone as you help a cancer victim meet their bills!
check it out and follow as we fight for safer roads and "Disabled sport"

Fringe replied to DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes
DaSy wrote:

Oh, and Fringe, could you download a copy of that route as a GPX or something, so that I can clear out my BRT routes folder as it is a bit on the overflowing side.

Let me know when you have a copy and I'll remove it...

cheers for that, remove as and when you like. ta.  1

Blackhound | 14 years ago
0 likes

27/2/10 97.5 pts nil points  2

Bit colder than forecast today but not bad for time of year. Got up on A515 above Hartington and one of the group punctured. Took a while to sort as he could not find the cause so then we headed down to the cafe at 36 miles and about 25 from home. Leaving the cafe the tyre was flat again so another delay while we had another look for the cause and again no result so replaced tube.

We got going only for me to puncture about 8 miles from home on top of a hill in the cold. Checked tyre and replaced tube and by the time wheel was in place it had gone down again! I sent the others off while I put fitted second spare which is where the fun began! Valve was short and pump would not connect. Checked both flat tubes and noted the two holes were in different parts of tube so decided to fix. Only I had no glue, could not believe it. Fiddled again with short valved tube and eventually got it through enough to attach pump - eventually got home feeling tired, hungry and sorry for myself. Could not be bothered to do a loop to get the metric century in. Better luck in two weeks time....

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

bad luck blackhound  2

i'm down for a 200k at the end of the month but i've not done anything longer than 80k for the last two months... let's see how that works out  39

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

What a nightmare Blackhound!

Hopefully that will be all your p-words for the year though.

STATO | 14 years ago
0 likes

Mabaged to get my Feb 100k in on Saturday. Newcastle to Kielder by the Rievers Route (sustrans signed cycle route). Was stopping overnight so required panniers filled with camping gear and food, not the easiest way to get in 66miles. Weather was on our side... by that i mean the rain, sleet and snow was blowing into our side, not in the face, which made it bareable as long as you could keep your fingers and toes moving. One of these days im going to arrange a easy 100k (is that even possible).

Rich.

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Don't know what was going on today, but that was bloody hard work. I think I started out a bit hard, and for some reason unknown to me, I left eating for way too long. All this resulted in the last 25 miles of the ride feeling very depleted.

I pushed on and made reasonable time, but was absolutely bushed by the time I got home. The headwind was not helping, but I really need to not let myself get so complacent in future.

That said, it has been the start of some good form for me in the past, when I have a really tough ride like this...here's hoping!

demoff | 14 years ago
0 likes

Jeez after Sunday's hard ride inc Jubilee it hurt doing a metric at pace on the Monday. But as Peter S said its done and in the bag should there be any probs with the big monthly ride this month.

STATO | 14 years ago
0 likes

March done, and what a killer. Rode out to meet the club for the usual Sat morning run and the pace was a little too fast for comfort, add in the wind and hilly route and i had almost nothing left for the return ride home. Glad i did tho as it ticked over 100k just as i hit the final (downhill) stretch. Phew.

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Back to the valleys for a very windy 85 miles over Heol Senni, Pen y Fan Rhigos and the Bwlch, not as bad as the last time I rode this, but windy enough on top of the Bwlch to make going forward a tough propostion!

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

214km ride, 2170m of climbing, in total the longest ride Ive done. Great weather for it considering what the forecast was.

Blackhound | 14 years ago
0 likes

Lovely ride today up to Monyash, Derbyshire. First time I have showed my arms this year! About 12 out including 4 ladies which was good to see, usually had 1 or 2 over the last year. This included 2 of the Rapha-Condor ladies team who were looking sprightly - must stand a chance in the upcoming races.

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

DaSy, i see you reign of the metric c. has been pretty much 'cancellara'd' by one 'peter s 1944'... 4220km and counting.  13

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

who is the mysterious peter s?

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Fringe, I'm pretending I can't see him and his insane amount of rides. 66 years old so I reckon this is a retirement present to himself, luckily, I'm inn no way jealous of having enough time to put that many miles in.

The bitterness comes from having just crawled off the turbo after a 2x20 session at just over 300W that crucified me! I've been pushing quite hard this last couple of weeks, trying to make up for some lost training time, and only 8 weeks left, which includes some tapering time, to get ready!

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

DaSy, 8 weeks left till what?, retirement!!  4

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

I'm booked up and doing the Club des Cingles du Mont-Ventoux ride.

I've done all three road climbs of Ventoux, but not all on the same day, so I aim to rectify that in about 8 weeks time.

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

good luck, sounds like immense fun to be had on two wheels (of the masochistic sort of course). closest i can get to that round here is up and over the mendips 5 or 6 times.. but still not quite the same  20

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

A lovely day for a 100 miles, with a stop at Zappi's in Oxford for a Brie and Bacon Paninni after 50ish miles.

I felt great, held a good pace despite this ridiculously persistent cough, and enjoyed the great weather.

The joy of hours of solitude, and no time restriction on when I needed to be back made it a very mentally relaxing ride.

STATO | 14 years ago
0 likes

I never seem to make this easy on myself. April done while returning from camping, on a fully loaded touring bike in hilly country, mostly into a strong headwind. Managed to plan it well enough that i crossed 100k as i rolled down my street. Ouch.

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Saturday was a lovely day for a ride in the Brecon Beacons. All in, it was 85 miles going out via Swansea and over the Black Mountain via Brynamman. This was followed by a long fast descent that had he drafting a Transit van which couldn't lose me for about 4 miles.

The ride up to Llangadog and then onto Llandovery was undulating and windy, but the beautiful landscape takes your mind off the toil.

It's then a long uphill drag to Trecastle and onto Sennybridge via the A40, this is at about 3% for about 15km, it's hard work, as it doesn't feel like a climb but is always requiring effort.

A short sharp climb of up to 17% takes you out of Sennybridge along to Heol Senni and the joy of The Devils Elbow climb. This is so quiet and the stunning scenery makes the tough 2km climb more pleasant.

The drop down the secluded valley to Ystradfellte is stunning, then just the long quiet drag back up to Neath and on home for a bath and a welcome roast dinner...a perfect way to spend a Saturday!

demoff | 14 years ago
0 likes

Was out with Peter S yesterday as we clocked up another metric as we went over the Trough of Bowland for the third time in a week followed by the joy that is Marl Hill.

Martin Thomas | 14 years ago
0 likes

This challenge is really working for me - I've found myself extending rides so I can notch up another one, and I'm sure every extra mile I can get under my belt now will make my LEJOG easier in June.

Yesterday was a perfect example - I'd finished a lovely ride from Brighton to Horsham and back but found myself a few kms short of the magic ton, so I followed the A23 from the seafront to Mill Road, a mile-long climb at the edge of town, and hit that with as much gusto as I could (not very much as I'd done a 108-miler on Saturday) before heading home. There's no way I would have done that if I'd not signed up to this challenge.

Pages

Latest Comments