Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Metric Century Challenge

We have completed the first years Metric Century Challenge, and I have a few suggestions.

Should we start a new thread for this years challenge to keep it neat and tidy. Also start a new metric century chat thread too.

I think we should not worry about getting in one scoring ride every month, that way it is a bit more inclusive, and people won't feel like they can't join in if they either miss a month or don't see it until later in the year.

Lastly, can I claim longest ride - 225.3km

Highest score in a month - June, 7 points

Highest total score - 54 points

That was a good year, and the challenge meant there were times when I used it as a good excuse to put in more miles, and times when it forced me to stay out when I really fancied going home...

I have a few challenges this coming year that require me to get some good miles in, so will be in again this year.

What did I win Tony and Dave?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

139 comments

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Blackhound - I just realised that the mileage I claimed to do a month was way off the mark, in fact I seem to have doubled it!

I do 800 to 1000 miles a month depending on time of year, so that's more like 1300 to 1600km a month.

I'm not sure what I was thinking!

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Oi! Blackhound! No!

That is thoroughly unfair, do you have a plan to make money from riding, or just jack in work and ride your bike until you can't open the front door for unpaid bills?

I am in a similar situation, kind of waiting for the axe to fall, and for the payout. I have a plan to get into the bike industry which is sort of almost there, and I think I will be forced into leading lots of rides so may help the mileage, or may hinder, I'm not sure yet.

4K km's, is that per month or over the June and July period. I currently get around 2500km (It's really 1300-1600km per month, but I've left it in as it would look odd otherwise!)per month, and ramps up a bit as the weather turns better in spring and summer.

Good luck with your plans Blackhound, I hope they work out as you intend. Full time cyclist sounds about as good as it gets to me...

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

Do I get an extra point for my metric today? In the course of 'work' (checking locations for bikeability training) I was asked to haul 30kg of cargo between severn beach and our office in yate...in this wind and rain, surely I deserve some bonus action?!

canyonsi | 14 years ago
0 likes

Back from the Sinai just over a week ago now full of cold and "Cairo Belly". We only managed 2 "metrics" but the day of the 2nd started with alarm call at 1.30am and an ascent of Mt Sinai, back on bikes at 9.00am after chilling legs in the coldest pool in the known universe!, after 102km we had a (very) fast 13km downhill straight into the nights lodge and a beach bar! The day was renamed as quadlathon day, Climb Mt Sinai, Cycle 115km, Sea Swiming, and "one too many Stella"

a great challenge with a great group raising upwards of £50.000 for Heart Charity (BHF, CRY, Tiny Tickers)

a blow by blow account will be on the blog shortly.

si

Blackhound | 14 years ago
0 likes

December starting to look dificult to score a point currently.

First weekend I was ill with a virus and the second had agreed to meet up for a mtb ride.

Yesterday I had a hangover after the works do and it snowed overnight. Decided 100km return to Bakewell on the A6 might be dodgy so went out on mtb for a couple of nice hours on local hills. Away for Christmas and an audax on 2nd January. 28/29th December remain my last hope. I have scored each month since October 2008 and would like to keep up the achievement.

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

tricky one today, despite icy roads, dropping temperature, nearly last day of Dec. and a puncture, but got it done.

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

My first ride in the outside world for about 6 weeks!

A straight out and back, up the A4 through Hungerford and back. I couldn't believe how hard I was finding it on the way out, and by 20 miles I was not feeling very happy. I turned round at 31 miles, and realised that I had been riding into a reasonable headwind for an hour and three quarters!

My return journey was a lot better, and ended up getting the 63 miles done in about 3 hours 25 mins.

Still, I have leathered it on the turbo over the last few weeks, two hours of tempo last night alone, so I hope to get a bit of speed back over the next few weeks.

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

averaging 19mph or thereabouts for a 'swine flu survivor' whose not been out aint bad..good going.

gotta try and get my Jan metric in tomorrow i suspect.

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Cheers Fringe - I have been training fairly well indoors for the last 3 or 4 weeks, averaging about 9 - 10 hours a week on the turbo, lots of that has been intervals and tempo work, so I have no real excuse!

The swine flu was actually fairly mild form of flu to be honest, if I had to have flu, that was about the best one to have...

I really need to make sure I improve on my last years fitness, as I have some fairly tough challenges planned for the year, but I'm pretty motivated at the mo' so I think it should be good.

Good luck with the weather tomorrow, hopefully it'll be a nice day for it...

STATO | 14 years ago
0 likes

Hi Guys, ive not posted on here before but been lurking for a while. Decided this is the year to attempt some big things so have taken up your 100k challenge to start things off (tho 2 months too late).

First big ride of the year should always be one to remember so I dragged a mate out and we took the MTB's on a loop of the local bridleways and disused railways. Despite being fantastic weather (for January) there was still a lot of ice on the tracks which forced us, willing or not, into the muddy verge for most of the first 40k. Thankfully the ice relented and we settled into a nice casual pace for the rest of the ride, quite a change from the manic pace of our usual MTB rides. With dark coming too soon this time of year the last 15k was done with the aid of lights and we were soon home after a re-fuel of several more choclate bars. Total ride, 114km - 70% bridleways, 20% tarmac cyclepath, 10% road. 10hrs door-to-door, 7hrs riding time.

Next 100k is going to be on the road bike!! and i think my mate might invest in some less draggy tyres :0)

Cheers,
Rich.

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

Was lovely to get out at the weekend, a nice training ride.
Feels good to be back out around the lakes and hills of north somerset

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

100k off road is a fearsome ride rich, nice one  1

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

that was the hardest metric c. ive done so far. had to get it done today as no other available days left in Jan,and other normal work/family/school run related stuff. anyhow picked a 15mile-ish loop about 12 miles away and battered myself round it 3 and a half times and managed my best time so far - 3hr.46, at an average of spot on 17mph. (on a single speed too, mind.)

"still gives you somefing to do dunit" as someonce once said to me.  4

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

that doesn't sound like much fun fringe  39

i haven't managed one for either december or january. plenty of shorter rides but nowt long. hoping to do the chippenham flapjack in feb though...

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

yeah by mile 47 i did think i should have stayed home and done some hoovering, but most of it was okay. chippenham flapjack sounds interesting, my march metric will be the LVIS Audax (28th march).

http://www.lvis.org.uk/news.htm

and there ya go, theres a post about it from yesterday..they get about them LVIS lot.

stuke replied to dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

I've entered the flapjack as well to get some more easy pre season miles in. going to ride from Westbury to the start and then back again at the finish to bring it up to 100 miles

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

STATO - that sounds like a tough day in the saddle, a cold, icy off-road metric is pretty epic.

Fringe - well done on getting it done!

Everyone seems to be making their life tough here, I do mine on road with a bike brimming with gears...

I have a metric planned in Feb for a circuit, maybe two, round the Isle of Arran...I think I may have to hollow out a bear to cycle in for warmth though, I'm a soft suvvener you know!

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

maybe next years MCC rules should include at least one off-road jaunt, or maybe a double point score..

or fixed, or a tricycle, or a, or a, or a..etc etc.

alright maybe not eh.

(good luck with the Arran metric btw DaSy, i once spent a week in Orkney and by day 2 i'd been up and down the same three roads twice)

STATO | 14 years ago
0 likes

cheers guys, it wasnt too hard really, think i was hyped up on adrenalin. Will be doing a proper offroad one in August as im entered for the Kielder100 (www.sip-events.co.uk/kielder-home.html), thats 100 MILES offroad! ouch!

Keep up the chat, its good for motivation when im sat in the office looking out at the wind and rain  20

0 likes

Stato - The Kielder race is 4th September - unless you are after an early start;-)

Thinking of doing it myself if I an the UK at the time which is probable.

Got my January counter in last Saturday after an aborted audax on the 2nd (heavy snow in peak district).

STATO | 14 years ago
0 likes

ah yes, so it is. Damn these tricky calendars!

cat1commuter | 14 years ago
0 likes

Hmm. I'm going to be on holiday in Melbourne on the 17th October, which is when their "Round the Bay in a Day" ride happens. The bay in question is Port Philip Bay, which is quite large. There are various options, such as clockwise or anti-clockwise, both 210 km. But to beat DaSy's 225.3 km I'd need to choose the 250 km option, which traces an extra peninsular. (Of course if DaSy does his day ride to Paris, that 320 km.)

Looks good fun. They get 15,000 cyclists attempting the various distances. You get a ticket for a ferry ride across the mouth of the bay.

I'm going to need to take my own machine down there if I enter. I don't fancy doing 200 km on a hired bike!

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

What a lovely day for a ride at last!

85 miles taking in Devils Elbow, Pen y Fan, Rhigos and the Bwlch, and enjoyed every mile.

The bacon roll at the top of Rhigos never fails to hit the spot. I'm pleased to see that 10 hours a week for the last couple of months on the turbo has actually translated into some vague semblance of performance on the road.

Blackhound, I rode past The Afan Lodge, and was fully prepared to shout "Blackhoud?" at every MTBer I passed, but that was the sum total of none so we may have been close but no cigar...

0 likes

Afan Lodge - it was a nice weekend on the trails, been a bit tired last few days. I was stuffing bacon rolls and carrot cake at Glyncorreg as you pootled past probably.

Was thinking it would be nice on the road bike to up there - thinking of getting the train to Port Talbot and doing a spin over the summer. ALong with all the other plans....

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Give me a shout on here if you do decide to, I ride around there a lot, and have lots of nice routes.

Port Talbot is just down the road from where I stay, so could easily meet you from there. It would be good to catch up and go for a ride in the summer.

The bacon rolls at the top of Rhigos take some beating...

0 likes

Cheers Dasy, may take you up on it if I get my life sorted. (Mrs B's father was from Duffryn Rhonnda so I may be able to persuade her to visit her relatives...)

WOuld be a steady ride for yourself though!

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Blackhound - I think I've said this before, but it does bear repeating; I think I sound a lot better on paper than I am on the road!

It would be great to meet up; with your wife's family being from Duffryn Rhondda, and my in-laws from just down the road in Skewen, we should both be alright for excuses!

Today's ride was good, it being cold and me getting sleeted on didn't spoil my first 100 miler of the year. I even managed a negative split despite a fairly tough headwind for the last 20 miles. It was a straight out and back that got me as far as Calne before I turned round.

I was most tired by the new power bar type thing I was trying out, a Multi-Power Active bar. It worked well, and importantly didn't make me cough, but due to the cold it was a serious undertaking to chew it. I think I have identified a weak spot in my training!

0 likes

Dasy - OK, lets try and sort something out when it gets warmer. Could do with some climbing training before a trip to The Alps in June.

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Blackhound - that would be good, I've got lots of climbing training ahead of me too. I've actually signed up now for the Club des Cingles du Mont Ventoux in June, so no going back now! Give me a shout anytime a week or so prior and I can get down there, as the missus is always keen to see her parents.

Todays ride was 70 something miles of headwind, or at least that's how it felt! I stepped up the pace a bit today, plus threw in a lot more climbing. I'm feeling very impatient to get back to last summers level (and hopefully beyond), but I'm trying to actually be structured and progressive, so patience and consistency is the name of the game I suppose.

0 likes

OK Dasy - also planning a day trip to Ventoux during our week in the Alps!

Today was a lot of clibing in lovelt conditions in the snowy White Peak. Got dropped by the group on the climbs - I really need to improve...

Pages

Latest Comments