Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Team Sky kit - would you wear it?

So, seen the new see-through Team Sky kit? Here it is expertly modelled by Mr Froome: http://bit.ly/1drpxcs

Wiggo has been harder to track down wearing it, here he is in training though (scroll to bottom): http://bit.ly/1lCCfpO

Would you wear it or any kind of semi-transparent kit for that matter?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

71 comments

farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

Andy P, I'll do a break down for you, just to completely kill any remaining humour.

You wrote:
I don't ride for the team, so no, I won't be wearing the kit.

This is the sort of rule made popular by a website called The Velominati. This is a portmanteau of Illuminati, the secret society, and Velo, the French word for bike. On this website they have a list of rules which are somewhat tongue in cheek, but some people take them far too seriously.

After this ajmarshal1 replied with

Quote:

Ah, the good old Velominazi.
I've got a green jersey and I'm shit at sprinting. Come at me bro.

Now then, the word Velominazi is a play on the word velominati that some people to show their displeasure at the bores that hold "The Rules" in such high esteem that they use them as gospel. You've probably guessed what the play is but essentially they've created another portmanteau by tagging the word 'Nazi' on the end.

The "green jersey" is a green coloured cycling top, traditionally awarded to sprinters in the Tour de France. Other grand tours use other colours, green is usually achieved by mixing the primary colours of yellow and blue.

"Shit at sprinting" means that he isn't very good at sprinting.

He is suggesting that there may be some humour in the incongruous pairing of a poor sprinter wearing a sprinters jersey.

"Come at me Bro" is a phrase originally used by some Americans to suggest that they want to initiate a fight but don't really want to throw the first punch. It's often accompanied with outstretched arms, bouncing up and down, etc. Similar to the sort of behaviour you see in pubs and clubs in the UK where some mindless child bounces around trying to look "hard" and shouting inane nonsense like "Do you want it" and such like to make it look like they want to fight but the reality is often that they are just posturing. Come at me bro has now become a bit of an internet meme with the phrase being tagged on to the end of something they have written to mockingly suggest they believe in something so much that they would enter in to physical confrontation to defend that belief. It's kind of implied that the ridiculousness of such a thing highlights that it is not a literal request, but is in fact just a joke.

So, armed with this new knowledge, lets return to the post:

Quote:

Ah, the good old Velominazi.
I've got a green jersey and I'm shit at sprinting. Come at me bro.

You see, it's supposed to be funny. Or rather it was supposed to be funny.

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have a "Once" team top and i have been accused of supporting drug cheats by wearing it.

Didn't realise they are now Astana.

James Warrener | 10 years ago
0 likes

The replicas aren't as see through (thank the Lord). But I was interested to spy the blue version.

Very nice and almost road.ccish in colour.

I am sure our new jersey will be much better, although I am keeping my argyle one.

http://www.rapha.cc/shop/team-sky?cm_re=Homepage-_-MainCarousel-_-tskit2014

//www.rapha.cc/images/gallery/4618-19.jpg)

levermonkey | 10 years ago
0 likes

I would have absolutely no problem wearing this strip. However:-

I'm 45 with a raging cake addiction and more body-hair than the average chimp!

You would probably pay me lots of money not to wear it.  4

southseabythesea | 10 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't wear it because I'm a self confessed cycling snob and abhor those that wear FPK(w).

At least I'm honest  4

SirCav | 10 years ago
0 likes

As an OPQS fan, I am unlikely to invest in the new Sky kit - besides, I don't think it would be very flattering to a man of my dimensions! Also, having read the following, I am even more disinclined to wear see-through kit!

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/24/chris-froome-sunburn-team-s...

allez neg | 10 years ago
0 likes

Full Pro Kit I think.

The (w) presumably rhymes with bankers

allez neg | 10 years ago
0 likes

Re the Froome sunburn pic - OUCH!

Still, understandable that a pale skin Brit wouldn't realise the power of the hot African sun - it's not like he grew up in Kenya or anything is it?

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm going to have to get matching shorts for my sky top then -currently I'm offending too many groups of people!

But then I'd also like a replica USPS jersey, just for the hell of it!

I'm kind of hoping wearing a sky top makes me a target for bike snobs, TBH -livens up a ride, especially if I manage to disprove the assumption that I have 'all the gear and no idea'!

madonepro | 10 years ago
0 likes

In answer to the original question, no. I have the 2013 top and that's see through enough. Allthough i'm living in Perth, Australia at the moment, and haven't managed to get any sun through the side panels.

On the subject of wearing team kit. The Velominati actually says it's a no no to wear championship jerseys and race leader jerseys.

I personally don't have an issue with it, it is no different to wearing a football top, it supports the team, and in Team Sky's case, supports British Cycling. You can't wear these outfits when racing, unless of course you actually are part of that team.

Rapha Condor JLT had an interesting concept, they allowed you to be an official rider, if you paid your membership, you could wear their kit at races.

blablablacksheep20 | 10 years ago
0 likes

i find some of these posts totally brilliant .

For me it comes down to this, do you wear a rugby team shirt when you go to one of your teams games? yes....

Do you wear a rugby team shirt when your playing for your own team? No.

When im training i wear a rugby team shirt but would i wear it out in "public", NO BLOODY WAY",

So with this i saw.
Wear team kit when you go to support TDF ect, DONT wear kit in races(most of the time its banned anyway)

and dont wear it when your training, it makes it hard to spot real pros and mainly you look stupid esp when your belly overhangs the bars in team sky kit.

Sorry all you mid 40 somethings going through mid life crisis  1

farrell replied to Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

I have a "Once" team top and i have been accused of supporting drug cheats by wearing it.

I constantly look for 98 Festina jerseys on Ebay. They never seem to go cheap.

700c replied to southseabythesea | 10 years ago
0 likes
southseabythesea wrote:

I wouldn't wear it because I'm a self confessed cycling snob and abhor those that wear FPK(w).

At least I'm honest  4

I'm probably being really dumb, but...

What does FPK(w) mean?!

Kapelmuur replied to blablablacksheep20 | 10 years ago
0 likes
blablablacksheep20 wrote:

Sorry all you mid 40 somethings going through mid life crisis  1

The solution for the more mature rider is to wear age appropriate team kit.

If you're in your 40s and wearing Banesto who is to know whether the greying, slightly overweight rider was not a former team mate of Big Mig?

When I'm out in my Flandria jersey I can see people thinking, 'is it Walter Godefroot or perhaps Erik de Vlaeminck?'

Leviathan replied to Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

I have ONCE kit too, it is yellow, not to be confused with Hiviz.

I would love to see a flow chart of all the pro teams and what they have been called during the years.

Stumps replied to Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:
stumps wrote:

I would love to see a flow chart of all the pro teams and what they have been called during the years.

Mine is the lovely pink one as worn by a previous hero of mine Alex Zulle.

MartyMcCann replied to Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:
stumps wrote:

This should help with the history of Pro-Teams- be warned though- a lot of info!
http://velorooms.com/files/teamgen.pdf

Leviathan replied to MartyMcCann | 10 years ago
0 likes

Oh, tempted to change my user name to FullProKit to rub it in your face. Shame you can't change it seems without reregistering, haven't got a spare email and don't want to loose my post count, grrr.

Otis Bragg wrote:

This should help with the history of Pro-Teams- be warned though- a lot of info!
http://velorooms.com/files/teamgen.pdf

Otis, that is exactly what I was thinking of, bit big. ONCE became Astana, sad story.

PS. I am a banker, well I work in the call centre, but we are all the same aren't we.  21

PPS. SouthSea, I am also a admitted snob and look down on anyone whose jersey and shorts do not match. FPK as you call it ensures that this sin never occurs.

southseabythesea replied to Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

PPS. SouthSea, I am also a admitted snob and look down on anyone whose jersey and shorts do not match. FPK as you call it ensures that this sin never occurs.

I always accessorise, kit and bike...just not Pro kit  4

andyp | 10 years ago
0 likes

'Nazi how? I was trying to be nice, the guy meant well enough. Slightly pot kettle there!'

Not you. Try reading the thread. How can you say he meant well enough without reading his post...:)

mooleur replied to andyp | 10 years ago
0 likes
andyp wrote:

'Nazi how? I was trying to be nice, the guy meant well enough. Slightly pot kettle there!'

Not you. Try reading the thread. How can you say he meant well enough without reading his post...:)

Because the use of "come at me bro" is used as a joke, not a threat.

Anyway, as per Godwins law. Thread is dead.

Sensible | 10 years ago
0 likes

No, I wouldn't wear current kit. Its just not my thing. I do wear retro team kit. I have a nice orange San Pellegrino shirt from the 50's and 60's made in modern materials. I also have some other stuff from 10-15 year old teams that I feel comfortable wearing. The website Prendas do some great stuff. I don't have a problem with people who wear current team kit but I dont think its a cool thing to do.

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

Godwin's Law; you killed the thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

andyp | 10 years ago
0 likes

'I have to stick up for the guy who made that comment as I see folks are calling him out for being "ill tempered"... which is really not necessary! '

the nazi comment was necessary, presumably?

mooleur replied to andyp | 10 years ago
0 likes
andyp wrote:

'I have to stick up for the guy who made that comment as I see folks are calling him out for being "ill tempered"... which is really not necessary! '

the nazi comment was necessary, presumably?

Nazi how? I was trying to be nice, the guy meant well enough. Slightly pot kettle there!

Kapelmuur | 10 years ago
0 likes

Is there a statute of limitations on wearing team kit? I like old/retro jerseys which I buy off Ebay, for example my 1973 bike looks very similar to the one on which Ocana won Le Tour, so I hope I'm OK wearing my Bic jersey to complete the illusion.

I also have a jersey emblazoned 'Kampioen West_Vlaanderen' - mid '80s judging by the font. I guess the real champion wont mind me wearing it as he must have put it on Ebay.

mooleur replied to Kapelmuur | 10 years ago
0 likes
Crosshouses wrote:

Is there a statute of limitations on wearing team kit? I like old/retro jerseys which I buy off Ebay, for example my 1973 bike looks very similar to the one on which Ocana won Le Tour, so I hope I'm OK wearing my Bic jersey to complete the illusion.

I also have a jersey emblazoned 'Kampioen West_Vlaanderen' - mid '80s judging by the font. I guess the real champion wont mind me wearing it as he must have put it on Ebay.

I don't think there's (or at least there shouldn't be) any limitations - I love some of the old retro kit!  1 Really wanna get some old Peugeot kit.

Like it's been mentioned previous, bit of jest between mates is all good fun but when it comes to the point that people are being made to feel guilty or belittled when riding their bikes - that's just not cool. In fact it's down right bad sportsmanship.

andyp | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the translations. What an ill-tempered chap.

Al_S...well, quite. And indeed I was not berating or blanking anyone. The question was would *I* wear it, and my answer referred to me, not anyone else. However, our colonial chum appears to have read this differently. Ah well.

ade | 10 years ago
0 likes

Do I get a pass on Rule 43 for getting our logo on a team kit?
http://storify.com/ade_wwf/conversation-with-vaughters

Al__S | 10 years ago
0 likes

"come at me bro" is a praticularly american invitation to fight.

On the "team kit is for team members", I kind of go with that- though I'd never berate/blank someone else for it. Might rib them a bit if they were a mate, but not a stranger. After all, Rule 43 is important and one that no-one can find fault with, surely?

Pages

Latest Comments