Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Garmin Touring vs 810

Ok, so I'm looking at getting a GPS for the bike with the main reasons being for directions and HRM - I'm not familiar enough with the local area to go on big rides without getting lost and would like the extra info a HRM provides (while getting lost isn't a huge issue Mrs Madhouse gets a bit peeved when I'm back later than planned).

So, I've been looking at Garmins and would like to pick your collective brains on the Touring vs 810 debate, as far as I can see both will allow me to follow my preset route and display speed/gradient/temp/HRM data so I'd be fine with the much cheaper Touring Plus but there must be some big features I'm not picking up on for Garmin to justify the premium of the 810. Garmins own product comparison suggests the 810 only offers additional cadence data, workout programmes (not interested) and smartphone connectivity (nice but not worth the extra on its own).

So what am I missing? anyone got experience of either or both?

I know a couple of people with 810s and they think they're great but admit to not using all the features so it'd be good to hear what people think of the Touring too.

Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

mikeiow | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm looking at similar prices on the 800 and Touring models.
I will be using it for a cycle holiday....and I like the idea of saying "find me a 30km ride from here".
Does that mean I really should stick with the Touring ?
I am not so interested in cadence & performance....
It looks like the hardware is identical, but they have 'tweaks' to the software.

Any thoughts ?
thanks!

madhouse | 10 years ago
0 likes

That's some really good info Shep - thanks!

Really think that the touring's going to give me most of what I want - won't do cadence but I'm not about to spend the extra £150 just for that!

madhouse | 10 years ago
0 likes

Have aranged to borrow an 810 for a ride we've got planned in a few weeks so that'll be interesting. Was chatting to a friend about my dilemma (he has an 810) and he actually said that the Touring would probably be a better bet for me and he didnt think the premium of the 810 was worth it.

Could be that my wallet wins on this and I go for the touring, I do have a really daft question to ask about that though ... (apologies in advance) ... there's a lot made of the routing but I've not read a review yet that says there's a "just ride" type feature. As in turn it on & go, then upload the route later. Can anyone offer an insight?

Shep73 replied to madhouse | 10 years ago
0 likes
madhouse wrote:

Have aranged to borrow an 810 for a ride we've got planned in a few weeks so that'll be interesting. Was chatting to a friend about my dilemma (he has an 810) and he actually said that the Touring would probably be a better bet for me and he didnt think the premium of the 810 was worth it.

Could be that my wallet wins on this and I go for the touring, I do have a really daft question to ask about that though ... (apologies in advance) ... there's a lot made of the routing but I've not read a review yet that says there's a "just ride" type feature. As in turn it on & go, then upload the route later. Can anyone offer an insight?

Yeah, you can just ride without setting a specified route. And it will act as Strava does except it won't drain your phone, is more accurate and as more features at the swipe of a screen. Turn it on, let it pick up the satellites and then just ride. It will ask if you want to start the timer, just select yes and it will record your ride. You can then save your ride on your device as a route/coarse and compete against your own time with the virtual partner.
I use Garmin Connect and Strava for uploading. I also prefer Strava for planning new routes over Garmin on the road. Garmin connect is better for the mountain biking routes.

Shep73 | 10 years ago
0 likes

the 800 has cadence and HRM. My biggest criticism is the detail when zooming in on the Explorer map. The down loadable map is a better image but it doesn't cover the off road side. From what I hear that hasn't improved on the 810.

Sensible | 10 years ago
0 likes

I went for the Touring (special edition)at £178 inc an out front mount and a silicon case. I didnt want to pay at least another £100 for cadence and heart rate facility of the 810. I have done a couple of rides using it and am pleased so far. I planned a 38 mile ride on a map on Garmin Connect having no idea of where it was. It was an interesting ride with loads of steep hills that I wouldn't have chosen if I knew the route. Main thing was that the direction s were clear and I didn't get lost. It gives me all the other stats that I need.

madhouse | 10 years ago
0 likes

It has a few, the premium needs to be justified somehow! Most useful for me would be cadence, interval training, having more screens of data (what can I say, I'm a numbers man) and the smartphone connectability is a plus too as we tend to use the iPad more than the laptop nowadays.

Would be handy to hear from someone who has used a Touring though.

madhouse | 10 years ago
0 likes

Good tip on the maps Shep, that saves a fair bit of money too!

We've noticed the accuracy difference as well - difference between a dedicated device and a jack-of-all-trades I guess.

Am doing an Evans ride next month and have booked an 810 to borrow so hoping that helps to make my mind. I am starting to think that for my type of use I'd like the additional training features of the 810 rather than the pure routing of the Touring.

0 likes
madhouse wrote:

Good tip on the maps Shep, that saves a fair bit of money too!

We've noticed the accuracy difference as well - difference between a dedicated device and a jack-of-all-trades I guess.

Am doing an Evans ride next month and have booked an 810 to borrow so hoping that helps to make my mind. I am starting to think that for my type of use I'd like the additional training features of the 810 rather than the pure routing of the Touring.

Didn't think the 810 had additional training features?

Shep73 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Oh and you are better of using a open maps than the ones that come with Garmin for road use and they are free to download. So you can just buy the unit and the micro SD card.
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

madhouse | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well that's good to know Shep, sounds pretty useful to have in general actually - smartphone batteries seem to have no stamina if you want to actually use it for something!

Am really tempted by the 810 at the mo, especially with the January sales that are going on. Although ironically I wouldn't have the money for an 810 till Feb!

Heard a rumour the other day that Garmin are on an annual update cycle, anyone else heard that? in theory that makes an Edge 900 on the cards soon?

0 likes
madhouse wrote:

Well that's good to know Shep, sounds pretty useful to have in general actually - smartphone batteries seem to have no stamina if you want to actually use it for something!

Am really tempted by the 810 at the mo, especially with the January sales that are going on. Although ironically I wouldn't have the money for an 810 till Feb!

Heard a rumour the other day that Garmin are on an annual update cycle, anyone else heard that? in theory that makes an Edge 900 on the cards soon?

I think that is software updates as there have been a few on Garmin Connect. The 810 hasn't been out that long so I expect it to last at least another year.

As a side note I was told by a Strava tech that Garmin are more accurate than phones and you are better off creating segments on a Garmin than a phone.

madhouse | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the tips so far.

I hadn't considered the 800, not sure why! I'll never have power meter pedals and being an Apple user the Mrs uses Find My Friends to work out where I am so tracking's not a must have, which means the 800 could be a bit of a bargain.

Am yet to go on a ride either long or remote enough for the need to change batteries, but will have a look at the etrex to rule it in or out.

Will add the 800 into the mix for debate though.

0 likes
madhouse wrote:

Thanks for the tips so far.

I hadn't considered the 800, not sure why! I'll never have power meter pedals and being an Apple user the Mrs uses Find My Friends to work out where I am so tracking's not a must have, which means the 800 could be a bit of a bargain.

Am yet to go on a ride either long or remote enough for the need to change batteries, but will have a look at the etrex to rule it in or out.

Will add the 800 into the mix for debate though.

I get around the half battery mark for 50 mile rides, that includes a HRM and cadence sensor which will obviously use extra power. A power monkey is fairly small and can be used as a power source or for charging. I keep mine with a phone and Garmin adaptor on me, especially on mtb rides. It will charge my Android from flat to around 70%.

Stratman | 10 years ago
0 likes

I plumped for an 800 -lacks the connectivity to a phone and (I think) has restricted support for the vector power meter pedals - but significantly cheaper. Still has all the mapping functions, and can record cadence and hrm data. Got me from London to Paris.

Maps are extra, but I used OSM maps which are free.

Good reviews on dcrainmaker's site if you want more info

Benway | 10 years ago
0 likes

Garmin also have the etrex 30 which has std changeable batteries if you do long rides and have no way of charging a 810 or touring on the go.

Shep73 replied to Benway | 10 years ago
0 likes
Benway wrote:

Garmin also have the etrex 30 which has std changeable batteries if you do long rides and have no way of charging a 810 or touring on the go.

I have a power monkey that charges a Garmin, If I think I'll need it I just velcro cable tie it to my handle bars.
I have the 800 but will upgrade, I think the option of being able to be traced by family members is a good idea.

Latest Comments