Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Canyon's: Decisions, decisions

I don't post on here much but do follow the forums a bit so apologies if I'm reinventing a debate that's already happened loads before. Basically I have £2500 to spend on a new bike. I've already decided on getting a Canyon and have worked out sizes both from my measurements and my current bike. The issue is I was set on this one:

https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3243

Pretty good package I reckon especially with the wheels.

Then this caught my eye:

https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3301

Not thought about an aero frame before. Quite like the look of it, same groupset with decent but not quite as good wheels. Also £200 cheaper!!

To throw an even bigger spanner in the works I then saw this:

https://www.canyon.com/_en/outlet/article.html?o=A1032917

Never thought about Di2 and to be honest I'd be diving a bit into the unknown.

Basically I don't know anything much about the Aeroad CF or about Di2. At the moment I quite like the look of the Ultimate CF SL with the Cosmic Carbones but the other two are niggling away at me. If I'm spending £2500 i want to be sure I pick the right one. Any riders with the Aeroad CF feel free to chip in and let me know what you think. Also any Canyon riders feel free to chip in. Any advice massively grateful. I'll stop waffling now.

Cheers.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

DrJDog | 10 years ago
0 likes

I think you'll like the sl. I went from an old model cf slx to the new sl, and it's a very good frame indeed.

Securivaj | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hope you get on well with it. I ordered one myself on Xmas day (after going through the same pain you have) and looking at delivery in early Jan.

ajmarshal1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

In my opinion the second one (Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0) Is the best all round package. Far better wheels than the Aeroad (The Ksyrium Elites are cack, I've owned and sold a set) plus the Aeroad is an old frame now. As for the third option, old Di2? No thanks.

It's a cracking bike. I've ridden an Ultegra equipped CF SLX with Ksyrium SLRs and it was absolutely fantastic. It was enough to convince me that I need to save up for one with a Record groupset as my number one bike. Nearly there.

I seriously doubt you could notice a real difference between the SL and SLX. Watch the geometry though. The CF SLX that fit me was a 58 but I would need a 56 in the Aeroad.

Pull that trigger.

Dutch25 replied to ajmarshal1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the help on that. I've gone for the cf sl 9.0. I think you're right in saying I probably wouldn't notice the difference between the SL and SLX. Either way I feel like I've got a lot of bike for my money. Looking at a bianchi with full ultegra in my LBS. Cost was £3000 with rubbish wheels. Just got to wait til march for it now.

ajmarshal1 replied to Dutch25 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Dutch25 wrote:

Cheers for the help on that. I've gone for the cf sl 9.0. I think you're right in saying I probably wouldn't notice the difference between the SL and SLX. Either way I feel like I've got a lot of bike for my money. Looking at a bianchi with full ultegra in my LBS. Cost was £3000 with rubbish wheels. Just got to wait til march for it now.

Congrats! I'm sure you'll love it. Will be ordering mine in the summer.

Metjas | 10 years ago
0 likes

I believe Canyon have been working hard on their new Aeroad frame, presumably to be unveiled in 2014 - therefore I'd shy away from buying the now several years old Aeroad.

If you manage at all to up your budget to £2799 then you could go for Canyon's top end frame Ultimate CF SLX, currently offered with 11 speed ultegra and, quite unbelievably, the Ksyrium SLR wheel set, which retails in excess of £1000 on its own! I currently ride this frame and have the previously CF SLX as well - the latest one is a big step up.

Shep73 | 10 years ago
0 likes

The third one down, better wheels and same group set and for what extra it's costing, you are getting a better package with the wheel upgrade and add the fact that the Elites are not being sold in most places anymore which I presume is down to being discontinued so the WTS's should be easier to replace in the event of an of and failure. And I think the frame looks better in the gloss black.

As for the aero wheels on the first one, I hear many people go back to normal rims as they don't get on with them. You could be paying more for a wheel set you might not get on with and losing out on a better frame. I know I would prefer the better frame.

Dutch25 replied to Shep73 | 10 years ago
0 likes

The third one down has last years 10spd Di2 on it which I'm not sure on. Mechanical gears have worked fine for years and don't know how much extra hassle electronic shifting is. Plus it looks a bit clunky. Ideally I would go for the bottom end cf SLX but can't quite stump up the extra cash to get the world tour frame. So the top end cf sl is my next best bet. Was thinking if I really didn't get on with the aero wheels I could sell them and get a better pair of wheels than the ksyrium anyway but cheers for the advice about those- not thought about that. I really just can't make my mind up if I like the look of the aero frame. Obviously a big part as you have to feel good riding it to enjoy it anyway. Cheers for the advice.

Latest Comments